Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85L worth twice the Sigma 85?

engrmariano
793 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 15, 2011 08:00 |  #1

if you can afford both, which one would you get? need help asap... ;)

The Filipino is worth dying for -> Ninoy (Nov. 27, '32 - Aug. 21, '83)
I'm ready to defend the 3 stars & the sun -> Francis M. (Oct 4, '64 – Mar 6, '09)

fLickr (external link)
geavity (external link)

sponsored links
Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 15, 2011 08:10 |  #2

Depends totally on you, what you need and what "worth" means. You perhaps can ask yourself if the Sigma 1.4 is worthy 2 times the value of a Canon 1.8 too.
The L has better build and goes to f/1.2.
The Sigma has faster AF and is half of the price.
Sharpness and bokeh wise, they are both splendid.
I ended up with the L and have no regrets, but the Sigma is a VERY VERY VERY close second IMHO. If you need the fast AF, the Sigma is a clearly winner, but the Canon going to f/1.2 was the deal breaker to me: I wanted every single ray of light I could gather. ;)

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2011 08:11 |  #3

I could afford both and got the 85L without hesitation.This is mostly due to my frustrating experience with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and its AF issues. There are many that have reported similar issues with the Sigma 85mm too.

So ask yourself, whats more important... price or missed shots?

If your not in a rush and have paitience, try to see if you can get a good copy of the Sigma. Then if it doesn't work out, get the 85L.
or
If you need something in a pinch and want 99.99% reliability, get the 85L and don't look back.

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2011 08:16 as a reply to  @ m.shalaby's post |  #4

Your signature says you have the Sigma 85 1.4

- i'm confused  ???

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Gallery: 588 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 15, 2011 08:20 |  #5

Its hard for me to say honestly

I would probubly have the 85L just because its the 85L, its magical, its special...and that little extra speed has to be nice sometimes...

Though i admit id likely give the Sigma a test drive first

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 15, 2011 08:22 |  #6

Why would you want to own both?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

engrmariano
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 15, 2011 08:23 |  #7

yes, i have the Sigma right now. but a friend is insisting to buy it and pushing me to get the L. ;)

actually i have no complains on the sigma but there's still a better [?] lens...

I'm ready to defend the 3 stars & the sun -> Francis M. (Oct 4, '64 – Mar 6, '09)

fLickr (external link)
geavity (external link)

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 15, 2011 08:25 |  #8

I think if I was you, I'd get that 35 upgraded to 35L and stick with Sigma 85 for now ;)

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

engrmariano
THREAD ­ STARTER
793 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 15, 2011 08:32 |  #9

yuriyo923 wrote in post #11846886 (external link)
I think if I was you, I'd get that 35 upgraded to 35L and stick with Sigma 85 for now ;)

actually i just sold the 35 f2 earlier today. add'l fund to get 85L is ever...;)

fLickr (external link)
geavity (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 15, 2011 08:35 |  #10

You must keep in mind that in the photo world (and many other worlds as well) to get good equipment may not cost a lot. To be better equipment will cost more but to get up to that last 1% at the top of the list is going to cost a whole bunch more. Not linear once you get near the top. And, I think each of us reacts to that differently.

GEAR LIST

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2011 08:36 |  #11

engrmariano wrote in post #11846872 (external link)
yes, i have the Sigma right now. but a friend is insisting to buy it and pushing me to get the L. ;)

actually i have no complains on the sigma but there's still a better [?] lens...

oh no... sounds like you got the itch

the itch will only be satisfied with the 85L then. i suggest you get it right now. :)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 15, 2011 09:04 |  #12

I am debating the same thing right now... If I get my school tuition back from the government, I will have a nice $2,000-$2,500 check coming my way. So it is either the Sigma 85 new, or the 85L used. With my prior experience with Sigma, which is not bad, I did have some frustrations with its focus in low light. I don't care how slow it is, but I wish it was more reliable. I bought a f/1.4 lens for its low light capability, and the Sigma 30mm could not keep up with me. I am worried the Sigma 85mm would be similar in behavior :(

But the Canon is double the price... The only thing is, I can buy it used and play with it a few weeks. If I don't like, I can sell for little to no loss - A cheap "rental" fee you could call it. The sigma I would probably take a loss, although not a big one. I may try the Canon first, though. If I decided to pick up an 85mm prime... There may be another option or two I can do with that money if I get it it :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 15, 2011 09:06 |  #13

85L will retain its value until a MkIII came out as long as you take care of it... so why not? :)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2011 09:12 |  #14

Invertalon wrote in post #11847100 (external link)
I am debating the same thing right now... If I get my school tuition back from the government, I will have a nice $2,000-$2,500 check coming my way. So it is either the Sigma 85 new, or the 85L used. With my prior experience with Sigma, which is not bad, I did have some frustrations with its focus in low light. I don't care how slow it is, but I wish it was more reliable. I bought a f/1.4 lens for its low light capability, and the Sigma 30mm could not keep up with me. I am worried the Sigma 85mm would be similar in behavior :(

But the Canon is double the price... The only thing is, I can buy it used and play with it a few weeks. If I don't like, I can sell for little to no loss - A cheap "rental" fee you could call it. The sigma I would probably take a loss, although not a big one. I may try the Canon first, though. If I decided to pick up an 85mm prime... There may be another option or two I can do with that money if I get it it :D

^^ Sounds like you had Sigma issues too.

I see it this way. Do it right, and do it once.

I tried the less expensive "L glass optics without the L glass price" Sigma alternative and was so fed up, the cons quickly outweighed the pros... namley Price vs. Aggrivation/Time/Misse​d Shots

I quickly realized the L price was worth it (for me).

There is no value you can put on having something you know you can rely on. If I went on a shoot and kept my Sigma, it would always be in the back of my mind "is this focusing correct? am i missing shots?". Not worth it.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 15, 2011 09:14 |  #15

engrmariano wrote in post #11846760 (external link)
if you can afford both, which one would you get? need help asap... ;)

What are you going to shoot with it? That might shed more light on whether to buy the 85L or the Sigma.

-Canon has the better build
-IQ differences are questionable and up to your taste
-Sigma has the quicker AF
-Sigma is half the price

sponsored links

9,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L worth twice the Sigma 85?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.