Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

R-strap & quick release plates

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 17, 2011 02:06 |  #1

I have just ordered a r-strap - seemed a good idea at the time.

I've just realised that putting it on means I have to take my quick release tripod plates off (which I keep on all the time) as the strap hooks onto a bolt screwed into the camera base- which is thicker than the screw holding the plate on.

Any ideas how to get over this?

My (Benro) quick release plates use a screw with allan key tightening.

I could replace the screws with manfrotto type which have a metal loop tightener which then lays flat - but whether that would be safe to hook the r-strap onto I don't know!

Hope I have not been too confusing./

Edit: should have searched online first before asking this.

There is a FR-T1 which is suitable for use with a manfrotto quick release plate (and which I know also fits my Benro)

Gear List

sponsored links
FrankfurtDave
61 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2011 02:27 |  #2

Interested in this as well.

I looked into this a while back and found no possible solution at the time and so rejected the R-Strap idea as the QR plates were more important to me.

Canon 1D MK IV | Zeiss ZE 21 | Canon 24-105 | Canon 50L | Canon 100 Macro L | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 300 2.8 IS |
www.frankfurtphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frankfurtdave/ (external link)

eyefocus2
56 posts
Joined Jun 2001

Feb 17, 2011 12:33 |  #3

That's the reason why ordered the Luma Loop strap.

7D
17-55 2.8
70-300 L
50 1.8
430 EX

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2011 12:51 as a reply to  @ eyefocus2's post |  #4

I use the RS-4 but not attached to my QR plate. I have it attached to an Optech Adapt-It, so it ends up being attached basically the same way as the Luma Loop.

http://optechusa.com/a​dapt-its.html (external link)

Mine is attached to the opposite side of the camera from the picture in the link so the strap doesn't fall across the back of the camera in portrait orientation. There is another thread on here about the Luma Loop and all the quality put into making it but while all that is well and good I'm still not hanging my gear off a nylon string, just my two cents.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2011 13:35 |  #5

Use Luma loop or buy a QR clamp, screw the tripod mount onto the clamp, and clamp down to the plate if you want to use the strap.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 18, 2011 06:49 as a reply to  @ eelnoraa's post |  #6

Have now got the fittings - but they won't screw down far enough through the benro plate at the moment, so still can't put on tripod.

There is still a 1-2mm gap on the plate side - so the screw has not gone far enough.

I think I will have to enlarge the hole a bit but as I am away tomorrow, will do it on my return.

A manfrotto screw (taken off a manfrotto plate) will screw all the way through - I rather assumed this would be exactly the same thickness, but obviously not.

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 18, 2011 06:51 |  #7

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #11861980 (external link)
I use the RS-4 but not attached to my QR plate. I have it attached to an Optech Adapt-It, so it ends up being attached basically the same way as the Luma Loop.

http://optechusa.com/a​dapt-its.html (external link)

Mine is attached to the opposite side of the camera from the picture in the link so the strap doesn't fall across the back of the camera in portrait orientation. There is another thread on here about the Luma Loop and all the quality put into making it but while all that is well and good I'm still not hanging my gear off a nylon string, just my two cents.

Quite.

Will now see if I can get the Optech Adapt-it in the UK if I don't manage to get the other fitting to work

Gear List

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 18, 2011 17:13 |  #8

i just did the same thing and got the FR-T1 to fit onto my benro travel angel plate

and it doesnt fit about a 1-2mm gap and doesnt really give much thread plus its stick out to far under the plate doesnt fit on tripod
dont know why it has that raised part on the fastener i might try and mill it away...

anyway looking for a fix too, dont really want to get another quick release plate

JLB Photography Website (external link)
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

in2fx
63 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 18, 2011 22:18 |  #9

I use the FastenR-T1 attached to a Manfrotto tripod plate which almost lives on the camera body so that it will connect to the Black Rapid strap and then straight off that and slip onto my Manfrotto tripods or monopod without having to muck around with screwing on or off all the time.
I also have a FastenR-T1 attached to another Manfrotto plate which nearly always remains on the tripod ring of my 70-200 f/2.8 if I am wanting to connect that to either as well.
Always ready :-)

Steve
Equipment: Canon DSLRs with a few lenses and a heap of enthusiasm.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 19, 2011 17:16 |  #10

Hmmm I screw my RS-5 directly to the body plate of my 1Ds MKII without issue. I haven't tried it on the L plate (yet).

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links

3,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
R-strap & quick release plates
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.