Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Portrait professional" unreal?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,081 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 14, 2011 16:45 |  #31

I saw a television ad for Mercedes Benz last night. It showed three of them being driven by professional drivers at very high speed very close to men who were standing in the middle of a "closed track." Although perhaps nobody would ever drive a Mercedes Benz at very high speed close to people standing in the middle of a closed track, I did not feel any sense of outrage that they showed over-the-top driving in an advertisement.

It's a advertisement, folks. As they commonly say on such things, "Don't try this at home."

sponsored links
gfp
245 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2011 22:33 |  #32

I just noticed there are three versions, professional, professional studio and studio 64. What are you all using?

http://www.GeraldFagan​Photography.com (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2011 09:39 |  #33

you can get 10% off the special price using these codes:

http://www.retailmenot​.com/view/portraitprof​essional.com (external link)

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2011 09:41 |  #34

gfp wrote in post #12021689 (external link)
I just noticed there are three versions, professional, professional studio and studio 64. What are you all using?

http://www.portraitpro​fessional.com/editions​/ (external link)

shows the capability & limitations of the three versions. I am going to try the studio version

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 17, 2011 19:40 |  #35

RDKirk wrote in post #12019387 (external link)
I saw a television ad for Mercedes Benz last night. It showed three of them being driven by professional drivers at very high speed very close to men who were standing in the middle of a "closed track." Although perhaps nobody would ever drive a Mercedes Benz at very high speed close to people standing in the middle of a closed track, I did not feel any sense of outrage that they showed over-the-top driving in an advertisement.

It's a advertisement, folks. As they commonly say on such things, "Don't try this at home."

Exactly.

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

BlindGuyTakingPictures
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2011 20:14 as a reply to  @ post 11968953 |  #36

For those not well versed in CS this PP software is a god send. Keep in mind, you don't have to good full tilt with the mods. A few seconds with the tool can do wonders without having to over do it.

gfp
245 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 18, 2011 13:29 |  #37

There is a 20% coupon for the studio version making it $48.

http://www.GeraldFagan​Photography.com (external link)

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 18, 2011 13:37 |  #38

RDKirk wrote in post #12019387 (external link)

Normally I would agee with this sentiment and for Photoshop it is certainly 100% true. That said I find Portrait professional very easy to use get quality results quickly without to much effort and I have only spent a limited amount of time with the studio version.

It won't do everything as you can not apply different level of corrections to different areas of the face which canbe a problem for some people. That said for something that is so inexpensive compared to photoshop or specialized photoshop plugins it does a very nice job overall. Its not as flexible as photoshop but its certainly a lot simpler to use.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2011 15:50 |  #39

acecycles wrote in post #11873487 (external link)
I am constantly blown away by the level of work here and the jaw dropping models!

well I've recently stumbled across "Portrait professional" and just from the demos see it automatically produces the buttery smooth; clean skin tones I see are all the rage (here?)
http://www.portraitpro​fessional.com/gallery/​?p=3 (external link)
looking at the demo galleries:

The "purist azzhat" in me asks :When does a tack sharp representation of reality go from being a "touched up portrait" to an "unrecognizable caricature" of the subject?

I use Portrait Professional and find it to be a great tool when I use it right. Can really deliver excellent results to clean up skin. But on the other hand you can also easily turn someone into a plastic barbie doll.

I will at times shoot models and I am amazed at how bad their skin can be and the amount of clean up work needed. PP makes this work very easy and fast. On the other hand some models it is awful. Will often try to remove cute freckles. But a great product for enhancing eyes, whitening teeth and removing blemishes.

Ed

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2011 06:47 as a reply to  @ Edshropshire's post |  #40

Im using it and like it. You can go into the system and control everything.

You dont have to put it on full auto and let it change everything and even if you do, you can go into it and adjust it to your taste.

Skin tends to be overdone in auto, face get to much shaping in auto, everything is a tad too much. Go into the controls and adjust to your taste.

How many of you change stuff with the liquify tool in PS for portraits ? this is the same thought process except its a little more conytolled based upon where you place the adjusting points.

Its a great tool and cant be beat for the price. Its also a huge time saver. Once you get a work flow down, when you use it in combinations with PS, its a nice tool to use.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2011 06:57 |  #41

mbloof wrote in post #12009550 (external link)
IMHO: Yuck. Good example of "over cooked" images.

I use the program but I agree 100%. The gallery is OVERCOOKED !!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 19, 2011 10:51 |  #42

Jannie wrote in post #11933339 (external link)
I've been using it all this last week and think it's really amazing. For those of you who say it's too much, imagine not buying a car because the speedometer says it will go 120 miles an hour and you don't want to go 120 miles an hour. Well PP 10 offers the opportunties to go way beyond your needs and turn off the default, there's a button that's for on or off, you can set this up to do nothing at all like your Lightroom or Photoshop where you start or it will give you a default. It's like choosing to switch off AUTO on your camera, it's a choice. Just consider it like RAW in your regular processing, you can start at the beginning and just do a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of just a huge number of things separately or in bunches, it's all intuitive and all you have to do is select your choice and then use the sliders or the brush. And it's incredibly fast to use, I'd say that this week I cut my processing time into less than half from what I was doing before which was a cross between PP9 and LR3 with occasional trips over to what little I can do over in Photoshop.

I don't know why I'm bothering here though, it'll just make you people better faster huh, well duh!

Well said. Just because it is there, does not mean you have to use it. It is a ridiculous argument to say the images are too processed or overdone because the software is only doing what the user asked of it. So blame the user, not the software. Same stupid argument can be said for Lightroom, Aperture etc.

Best, Bruce

ianmarsh
255 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2011 11:02 |  #43

I use it as one of four levels in a portrait retouch. Bottom layer is the basic shot (corrected for spots etc), next is a Portrait Pro version at factory settings (but with face shaping turned off) at 50-80% opacity, next is a Topaz Labs "detailed" layer at 10-20% opacity, and last a B&W layer Luminosity blended.

The net effect isn't hugely over-the-top and sometimes the effect isn't very large at all. But nobody has ever chosen the proignal over the retouched one

X-pro1, X-E1 | 14/1.4 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 18-55/2.8-4

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2011 21:20 |  #44

Edshropshire wrote in post #12045595 (external link)
a great product for enhancing eyes, whitening teeth and removing blemishes.

Ed

the eye enhancement is the biggest reason to use it. However i noticed that the eye sharpening also applies to the eyebrow so i ended up turning off eye sharpening.
I am using PP less and less as the days go by. Now its only for eye adjustments.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 26, 2011 01:18 |  #45

gfp wrote in post #12044813 (external link)
There is a 20% coupon for the studio version making it $48.

Where do you get the 20% coupon?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links

24,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Portrait professional" unreal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.