Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Portrait professional" unreal?

gfp
245 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 26, 2011 11:41 |  #46

I sent them an email asking for a coupon, and they sent one. They said it would expire last week but it didnt. Any ways I got a new email with a new coupon that is good until the end of the month.

pp20

it looks like it may work on the standard edition.

http://www.GeraldFagan​Photography.com (external link)

sponsored links
sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 26, 2011 20:46 |  #47

gfp wrote in post #12096863 (external link)
I sent them an email asking for a coupon, and they sent one. They said it would expire last week but it didnt. Any ways I got a new email with a new coupon that is good until the end of the month.

pp20

it looks like it may work on the standard edition.

Thanks, it works on studio version too.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 26, 2011 20:50 |  #48

cannonballgsu wrote in post #11898595 (external link)
IMO touchups are ok, but when you remove all of someone's freckles and reshape their face, its no longer them.

# 1

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

RKruegerPhotoNJ
288 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 13, 2011 10:41 |  #49

I've been dabbling with PP9 for the last few months and working with it. My biggest gripe is with the facial analysis it does... I don't like that the software directs you to determine consistent points (eye corners, nose tip, mouth corners, etc.) and then renders what it "thinks" the person should look like.

Each time I use it, I go through the analyzer, then turn off the facial features control entirely. I found a lot of the effects to be super-fake, so I stick with the hair smoothing tool, maybe some of the eye tools, then head right back to PS like I've been doing for years...

Rick Krueger - Morristown, NJ
My Website (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Lee
472 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 02, 2011 12:56 |  #50

That demo gallery is terrible, IMO.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 02, 2011 13:01 |  #51

I can honestly say I haven't seen a portrait come out of Portrait Professional that didn't look overdone. People say that this can be "dialed down", but it seems that users rarely do that...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 04, 2011 10:39 |  #52

Lee wrote in post #12864310 (external link)

+1
But i guess lot of people like it because they don't like the way they look.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2011 10:45 as a reply to  @ Zigot's post |  #53

People say that this can be "dialed down", but it seems that users rarely do that...

That would seem to be user error rather than a problem with the software. You can just as easily over correct in PS. When I use it I turn off the face sculpt controls and just use specific sliders

Richard
Gear

wiregen
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 16, 2011 10:31 |  #54

Lee wrote in post #12864310 (external link)

I agree - can anyone here share samples of they're own work using this? I feel the examples on there are a bit extreme.

mark_l
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 21, 2011 04:29 |  #55

I use PP10 and am happy with the results, provided you turn off the face sculpting, and dial down the skin effects so the model does not look like a plastic model. I find it saves time and time is money, especially when the client is not paying for post production.

It is the same as any post production, it can either be done well or done badly.

Moppie
14,840 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 21, 2011 05:54 |  #56

I just downloaded the trail and had a play, it works EXTREMELY WELL.

I was rather blown away by how well it works in fact. You can do all the same things in photoshop, but not nearly as quickly.

The sliders do offer a whole range of control, and it is easy to turn everything right down, or turn it off, and you can save presets.

I'm going to sleep on it, but I might buy it in the morning, the US $ is being nice to use at the moment, and it is on special.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Chunky515
129 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 21, 2011 20:14 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #57

hmm $39.95 seems like a great deal right now :lol:

i currently only own lightroom, lack of fund for photoshop, this might get me by until i learn more about post processing :o

Canon 40D [17-50 tamron, nifty fifty, 75-300mm f4, 430EX )
Bought from: bedojo, Jonathan Taylor, huntersdad, sansational, peppelepugh, newnmpr0ved, jMieser,
Sold to (dont have many thing for sale yet): ArizonaSmith, wkmincey

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 22, 2011 17:47 |  #58

I bought the studio version couple of weeks ago, and can say that I completely love v10; use it as a plug-in to CS4.

If anyone is interested in buying, they sent me a coupon code that gives 15% off to “friends” who purchase the product. Just enter the code in the code box when you but it and you get the discount.

Coupon: VAKP-HNTZ-YRWQ-VBLW

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 18:22 |  #59

Seems interesting...I might take a look at this.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 30, 2011 02:02 |  #60

I doesn't work well with bug shots.

I have it, but seldom take pictures of people (that will happen when have to be a wedding photographer for one of my daughters). I never got on with face shaping, and the skin effects didn't seem to work that well for me. Since I bought PSE I use the spot removal tool and that gives me better results than I got with Portrait Pro.

I am pretty sure the problem was behind the keyboard (me) but I got better results with PS.

Bas.

Bas (external link)

sponsored links

24,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Portrait professional" unreal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.