Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Canon/Zeiss experiment

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2011 18:22 |  #1

Following a discussion in another thread I became interested in finding out how good people are at differentiating between the lenses of two different lens manufacturers.

We've had threads where people had to match images to specific lenses and the results have been varying. This is a far more simple test - is there objectively a "Zeiss" or a "Canon" or a "Leica" rendering style - i.e can you associate a certain look with a lens manufacturer? So this is not about which lens is better or which you like more. It's just to see if people can consistently tell the two brands apart.

I'm going to post six pairs of images. For each pair one is an image shot with a Canon lens and one with a Zeiss lens. The challange is to for each pair guess which one is the Canon and which one is the Zeiss. The two shots that form a pair have been shot at the same aperture and with the same nominal focal length (there is some variation in actual FL per lens). A total of 9 different lenses - four Canons and five Zeiss lenses were used. The images have been processed identically. The order of the images has been generated by a random generator.

I'll give the answers in two days or after 20-30 people have guessed.

To compare the images, open the pairs in separate browser tabs and flip between them.

So...

Canon or Zeiss?

A: The Scene:

IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/As.jpg

-- Lens A-1 (external link)
-- Lens A-2 (external link)

--------

B: The Scene:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/Bs.jpg

-- Lens B-1 (external link)
-- Lens B-2 (external link)

--------

C: The Scene:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/Cs.jpg

-- Lens C-1 (external link)
-- Lens C-2 (external link)

--------

D: The Scene:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/Ds.jpg

-- Lens D-1 (external link)
-- Lens D-2 (external link)

--------

E: The Scene:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/Es.jpg

-- Lens E-1 (external link)
-- Lens E-2 (external link)

--------

F: The Scene:
IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/comp/cz_compare/Fs.jpg

-- Lens F-1 (external link)
-- Lens F-2 (external link)

--------

Good luck! :)

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

sponsored links
Robertogee
172 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 19, 2011 18:46 |  #2

I'll bite!

A-1 = Zeiss / A-2 = Canon
B-1 = Canon / B-2 = Zeiss
C-1 = Canon / C-2 = Zeiss
D-1 = Canon / D-2 = Zeiss
E-1 = Canon / E-2 = Zeiss
F-1 = Canon / F-2 = Zeiss

EOS 7D | EOS 40D | EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon 10-22 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 28-135mm | Tamron 17-35mm | Tamron 28-200mm LD | Tamron 70-300mm | 580 EX II | 430 EX II

Growingshort
372 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 19, 2011 18:51 |  #3

Zeiss- A-1, b-2, c-2, d-1, e-2, f-1

The paranoid part of my brain is telling me you shot all of these with only 1 brand of lens so you can prove to us that lenses don't have certain "looks" lol..but I guessed anyways xD

Nick S.|5D Classic|Nifty 50 |35L|
Flickr (external link)

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2011 18:53 |  #4

I like A2 better, I like B2 better because B1 has too much vignetting, C1 is better, I like the higher contrast in D1, but do not like the vignetting, I like E2 better, and finally I like F1 better because of the detail in the rocks on the right. I do not want to guess which is which, but based on my answers, do I lean toward canon or Zeiss:)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2011 19:00 |  #5

Lens selection from an internet image is an exercise in futility, but I'll play...canon is #1-image 1, #2-1, #3-1, #4-2, #5-1, #6-2.
But a little PP would make them indistinguishable.

Gotta agree with this "The paranoid part of my brain is telling me you shot all of these with only 1 brand of lens so you can prove to us that lenses don't have certain "looks" lol"

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

denoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:01 |  #6

Growingshort wrote in post #11875455 (external link)
The paranoid part of my brain is telling me you shot all of these with only 1 brand of lens so you can prove to us that lenses don't have certain "looks" lol..but I guessed anyways xD

Hehe, no, it's not the case. Nine different lenses were used - five Zeiss and four Canon lenses.

anscochrome wrote in post #11875467 (external link)
I like A2 better, I like B2 better because B1 has too much vignetting, C1 is better, I like the higher contrast in D1, but do not like the vignetting, I like E2 better, and finally I like F1 better because of the detail in the rocks on the right. I do not want to guess which is which, but based on my answers, do I lean toward canon or Zeiss:)

Ah, but the question is not which you like, but if you think you can identify the differences consistently. Informed or uninformed guesses will do ;)

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 19, 2011 19:03 |  #7

I tend to be terrible at these hence my opinion of "who care what you have, the photo is what counts"

A1 Canon A2 Zeiss
B1 Zeiss B2 Canon
C1 Zeiss C2 Canon
D1 Zeiss D2 Canon
E1 Canon E2 Zeiss
F1 Canon F2 Zeiss

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:07 |  #8

denoir wrote in post #11875503 (external link)
Hehe, no, it's not the case. Nine different lenses were used - five Zeiss and four Canon lenses.

Ah, but the question is not which you like, but if you think you can identify the differences consistently. Informed or uninformed guesses will do ;)

No, I cannot identify the brands, and will make no claim that I can. But I do know what I do like when a photo is rendered. I have two Zeiss Lenses-both are considered mediocre Zeiss by conventional wisdom-a 35mm F 2.8 Distagon, and a 135mm F 2.8 C/Y Sonnar. I picked them up just to fill a couple of FL holes, at a steal of a price (about $100.00 each). They perform well enough for my purposes:)

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 19, 2011 19:10 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #9

Zeiss: A2, B1,C2, D1, E2, F1

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:16 |  #10

I'd like to see at least 50 people vote so we can do some statistical analysis about which images were judged/misjudged most, and which were easiest to tell.

Gear

denoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:23 |  #11

Sp1207 wrote in post #11875572 (external link)
I'd like to see at least 50 people vote so we can do some statistical analysis about which images were judged/misjudged most, and which were easiest to tell.

50 would definitely be nice, but I'll settle for 25. It will give a margin of error of about 20% with 95% confidence. I'm primarily interested in the statistics - i.e if we can get a statistically significant answer to if people at the POTN level of knowledge (i.e a variety of photographers) can tell them apart consistently.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2011 19:28 |  #12

If the images had been posted here, I'd have given it a go, but I can't be bothered to wade through a load of links. Sorry.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

denoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:31 |  #13

Sorarse wrote in post #11875640 (external link)
If the images had been posted here, I'd have given it a go, but I can't be bothered to wade through a load of links. Sorry.

The links are for your benefit. It's no good looking at images one after the other - the brain just interpolates between them. To really see the difference you have to flip between them. You can simply open each link in a new tab and then flip between the tabs.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 19, 2011 19:43 as a reply to  @ denoir's post |  #14

In all my years here, I've never understood why people post just to complain.:rolleyes:

Luka, I think this is a fun "test". In any case, I'm interested in what lenses you used & how this poll turns out. I wonder how many, self included, are even close.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:46 |  #15

denoir wrote in post #11875654 (external link)
The links are for your benefit. It's no good looking at images one after the other - the brain just interpolates between them. To really see the difference you have to flip between them. You can simply open each link in a new tab and then flip between the tabs.

I like the browser tab flip method, and I hope more people who post similar comparisons adopt using it:)

sponsored links

63,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Canon/Zeiss experiment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.