Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Monitor?

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2011 11:45 |  #1

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the NEC PA241 with Spectraview or is it worth it to purchase the Eizo Coloredge CG241W 24.1inch. The store I buy from recommends the Eizo but was wondering what experiences others have with these monitors. I am asking because this is an expensive purchase and want some input. I have already did a lot of research on both monitors but if anybody has some input please reply.

Thanks

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links
Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 21, 2011 15:16 |  #2

squaresnappr wrote in post #11878906 (external link)
Hello,

I am thinking of buying the NEC PA241 with Spectraview or is it worth it to purchase the Eizo Coloredge CG241W 24.1inch. The store I buy from recommends the Eizo but was wondering what experiences others have with these monitors. I am asking because this is an expensive purchase and want some input. I have already did a lot of research on both monitors but if anybody has some input please reply.

Thanks

I'm sure the Eizo is a better monitor, but from what everyone says, the PA241 is amazing. I am picking on up tomorrow (or the PA271, still debating which).

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 21, 2011 15:36 as a reply to  @ Saxi's post |  #3

The NEC PA series monitors deliver Eizo performance for much less money.

Good relevant discussions here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …index.php?topic​=42040.120 (external link)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/in​dex.php?topic=43560.0 (external link)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/in​dex.php?topic=40300.0 (external link)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 21, 2011 21:40 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #4

Thanks guys and thanks for those links Chas. I also did some research myself and am leaning towards the NECPA241. I guess I just got to do some more reading. Can you use the spyder 3 pro to calibrate the NECPA241 or is it better to use the NEC puck?

My Gear

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 21, 2011 21:42 |  #5

squaresnappr wrote in post #11888909 (external link)
Thanks guys and thanks for those links Chas. I also did some research myself and am leaning towards the NECPA241. I guess I just got to do some more reading. Can you use the spyder 3 pro to calibrate the NECPA241 or is it better to use the NEC puck?

In another thread someone has had good success using Spyder 3 to calibrate it, but I believe you will have better results with the SpectraView II system. I am going to get it with my monitor and will compare the two when I have a chance.

Full Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2011 06:45 |  #6

I have the 241 and the SP3 package. The software did not give me an acceptable calibration. I ended up buying BasIIColor and using that with the SP3 puck. Excellent results. I also tried the SP3 puck with CEDP (ColorEyes) software. It was better then the SP3 software but still left a slight pink cast.

My advice is to buy the Spectraview kit or buy BasICColor and use the SP3 puck. BasIIColor is the software used in the European version of Spectraview (different than the US software).

I can point you to a dealer in the UK that will sell you a license. You can download a full functioning trial version to try it out and see if it works for you.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2011 07:28 |  #7

bohdank wrote in post #11890728 (external link)
I have the 241 and the SP3 package. The software did not give me an acceptable calibration. I ended up buying BasIIColor and using that with the SP3 puck. Excellent results. I also tried the SP3 puck with CEDP (ColorEyes) software. It was better then the SP3 software but still left a slight pink cast.

My advice is to buy the Spectraview kit or buy BasICColor and use the SP3 puck. BasIIColor is the software used in the European version of Spectraview (different than the US software).

I can point you to a dealer in the UK that will sell you a license. You can download a full functioning trial version to try it out and see if it works for you.

How much was the UK version?

Full Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2011 07:38 |  #8

105 GBP

If you haven't seen this yet, you should. It shows both the European and US versions of the software bundled with Spectraview and also using them with the NEC 271.

http://www.tftcentral.​co.uk …traview_referen​ce_271.htm (external link)

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2011 08:12 |  #9

bohdank wrote in post #11890899 (external link)
105 GBP

If you haven't seen this yet, you should. It shows both the European and US versions of the software bundled with Spectraview and also using them with the NEC 271.

http://www.tftcentral.​co.uk …traview_referen​ce_271.htm (external link)

Fro what I get the sv models are hand picked and possibly better quality (at least in UK) but the UK version of the software produces better results. In the us you can't buy an sv model without the software hardware and the UK version requires a sv model which sounds like you can't use the UK version unless you buy the hardware and just don't use it and buy the UK software on top of that.

Full Gear List

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 22, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ Saxi's post |  #10

Hey Saxi, when your monitor comes in, can you please let me know if it came with the display port cable. B&H shows that it comes in the box but the place I want to order from doesn't say so I want to make sure.

Gonna go look at the eizo one more time at the store though.

Thanks Bohdank for the info on the spectraview.

My Gear

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2011 20:24 |  #11

Saxi wrote in post #11891024 (external link)
Fro what I get the sv models are hand picked and possibly better quality (at least in UK) but the UK version of the software produces better results. In the us you can't buy an sv model without the software hardware and the UK version requires a sv model which sounds like you can't use the UK version unless you buy the hardware and just don't use it and buy the UK software on top of that.

It's a bit confusing.

In the US all the monitors are the same, whether they are SV or not. SV only designates that Spectraview comes bundled with the monitor at an additional price.

In Europe, SV designates hand picked and factory adjusted copies taken off the assembly line. They cost considerably more than the non SV models. The non SV models are also crippled in that the monitor LUT cannot be programmed with the Spectraview package sold in Europe but, apparently, the US version of Spectraview can access the monitor LUT.

The European Spectraview package can access the LUT in the US version of the monitor (only 1 varient).

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2011 20:27 |  #12

squaresnappr wrote in post #11892283 (external link)
Hey Saxi, when your monitor comes in, can you please let me know if it came with the display port cable. B&H shows that it comes in the box but the place I want to order from doesn't say so I want to make sure.

Gonna go look at the eizo one more time at the store though.

Thanks Bohdank for the info on the spectraview.

I don't think there is a Displayport cable, standard. It's an accessory and currently is part of a promotion, free hood and cables (displayport + USB).

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 22, 2011 20:41 |  #13

bohdank wrote in post #11895452 (external link)
It's a bit confusing.

In the US all the monitors are the same, whether they are SV or not. SV only designates that Spectraview comes bundled with the monitor at an additional price.

In Europe, SV designates hand picked and factory adjusted copies taken off the assembly line. They cost considerably more than the non SV models. The non SV models are also crippled in that the monitor LUT cannot be programmed with the Spectraview package sold in Europe but, apparently, the US version of Spectraview can access the monitor LUT.

The European Spectraview package can access the LUT in the US version of the monitor (only 1 varient).

I ordered the PA271W-BK-SV but it won't be in for about a week because they are on back-order. I would order it some where else but I get a big discount through my distributor.

I didn't want to take a chance with the Spyder 3 w/ Basicolor thing, it isn't much cheaper going that route anyway. I can still try it though and compare the two.

Full Gear List

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 08, 2011 09:31 |  #14

bohdank wrote in post #11895463 (external link)
I don't think there is a Displayport cable, standard. It's an accessory and currently is part of a promotion, free hood and cables (displayport + USB).

Sorry, but a couple more questions, I got my PA-241 and it came with a display port cable but no usb. I was wondering if I should use a display port to mini display port cable for my ati4870 mac. I heard OSX doesn't support 10 bit and neither does DVI. Also, somebody told me the video card is a problem too since it doesn't support 10bit. It isn't critical that I get 10bit but would like to use my equipment to the full potential.

I have spyder pro 3, should I buy the spectra view software or just try the spyder 3 pro software?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks to Chas and others for recommendation of this monitor.

My Gear

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 08, 2011 11:18 |  #15

Try the SP3 software, first. It didn't do a good enough job with my PA241.If it does, for you, then why spend money when you don't have to.

Just use a DVI connection.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Monitor?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.