Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Feb 2011 (Monday) 11:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cant clone this person out, any help please

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 21, 2011 11:21 |  #1

Well I'm new to photoshop and experimenting using layers, cloning and taking bits out of other pictures and adding it in to others.

I am desperately trying to edit out a women in the below shot, I have a similar image where the woman is in a different position revealing the background. The only problem is that it is taken from a slightly different perspective.

Please see below the images:

1. The image I would want to edit the woman out of.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i793.photobucke​t.com …Connection04Feb​11-114.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

2. The background by the window revealed.

http://i793.photobucke​t.com …Connection04Feb​11-112.jpg (external link)

3. My failed attempt at PS so far.

http://i793.photobucke​t.com …ction04Feb11-114sofar.jpg (external link)

Any help/advice/tips/quick edits would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Deviant Art (external link)

sponsored links
rjc1
553 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 21, 2011 11:32 |  #2

Sorry can't help much... but I think you have done a very good job so far, there is some of the women s lower torso left near the table top and some arm in front of the window. A little more work and your home free.

40D with 28-135 IS , Tamron 17-50 ,100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 100mm f2.8L macro IS, 430EX, 430EXll,MiniTT1/FlexTT​5 , Kata R-103,
Domke F2 shooters bag

mattyb240
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 21, 2011 11:47 |  #3

rjc1 wrote in post #11885084 (external link)
Sorry can't help much... but I think you have done a very good job so far, there is some of the women s lower torso left near the table top and some arm in front of the window. A little more work and your home free.

Thanks, I know I got to that point and can't seem to make it subtle without the square or cut out look! Just inexperienced with this.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,307 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 21, 2011 12:07 |  #4

You're over-thinking this one.. There's so much detail in that photo, even what you have now is very passable. I would clean up the little black dot /artifact to the right of that column, and call it a day.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
4,004 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 21, 2011 12:13 |  #5

mattyb240 wrote in post #11885011 (external link)
The only problem is that it is taken from a slightly different perspective.

Any help/advice/tips/quick edits would be really appreciated.

You can change the perspective by using the Transform tool found under Edit. You may have to play around with the type (Scale, Rotate, etc) to get it right but should be able to get it close. Set the layer's blending mode to difference. Now where the image is lined up you will see black. You want as much black as possible. Keep playing with the Transform & Move tools. Then change the layer blend mode back to Normal and add your mask to paint in. Hope this helps.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2011 12:24 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #6

There doesn't seem to be all that much difference in perspective between the two at the back of the room. I did a rectangular select from the second image, feathered the edge by two pixels, and pasted into the first image without any further transform. I used a layer mask to clean up some of the overlap in the lower area, particularly the #5 placard. Not perfect yet, but I think this gets pretty close.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2011 13:45 |  #7

D Thompson wrote in post #11885304 (external link)
.... Set the layer's blending mode to difference. Now where the image is lined up you will see black. You want as much black as possible. Keep playing with the Transform & Move tools. Then change the layer blend mode back to Normal and add your mask to paint in. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this one -- I'm adding it to my collection of clever things I've learned on POTN! :D

CONSTANTINE
38 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 21, 2011 13:49 |  #8

I also think you did a pretty good job originally. Like rjc said just a tad more work and it would be good to go!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2011 13:59 |  #9

Next time I would recommend asking the lady nicely to allow you to take a couple photographs without her in it. That would have saved you all of this time in Photoshop to do other PP work that is probably less grueling. It's easier to ask a person to move than it is to get rid of them in Photoshop in most cases. Just something to think about next time you do this.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
4,004 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 21, 2011 14:17 |  #10

Rimmer wrote in post #11885877 (external link)
Thanks for this one -- I'm adding it to my collection of clever things I've learned on POTN! :D

Glad you found it useful. It can be a real timesaver trying to align different images.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 21, 2011 14:25 |  #11

Well, since you want tips might as well tell you my way of doing it

http://i864.photobucke​t.com …zo_420SX/Restau​rant-1.jpg (external link)

You need to identify which parts of what picture are good to use and work with it accordingly.

The second picture has the pillar structure and the wall behind her, but the first picture is what you need to juxtapose it into. I aligned the two layers (perspective and horizon was off a bit) by putting one to 50% and eyeballing it over the other. I also noticed you guys missed that there is an extrusion on both sides of the pillar - everyone in the thread.

Then I just started moving whole copies of the images on top of each other, started masking, and rasterizing over and over choosing which parts I wanted from which one, and then finally healed over the areas and matched color. Its still not perfect, but your exposure was different in both of them and when you only have jpegs to work with you can't make it perfect (well you can, but... yeah).

You can see there is still work to be done to make colors uniform, but this was 10 minutes in PS. And im on the clock here haha

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 21, 2011 15:14 as a reply to  @ LiberationFrequency's post |  #12

I understand that you're practicing a Photoshop technique, but you could avoid this by using a tripod and taking multiple shots.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2011 15:53 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #13

I would give "merge to panorama" a try...

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2011 16:41 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #14

I just gave this a try with Photoshop Elements 9's "Photomerge Scene Cleaner." Not too bad -- it automatically aligns the images, then you make a couple of scribbles and it does the work.

-----

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mattyb240
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 21, 2011 17:34 |  #15

Thanks everyone for the tremendous input I will try again tomorrow night when I get chance, all these new techniques and terms for me to learn and experiment with. I appreciate every persons input!

These were taken using a tripod, unfortunately it was my friends cafe where they were hosting a posh dinner, that lady would not stay out of the shot as they were behind schedule... It made my life a little tedious but I learnt thats the way it goes sometimes, not everyone has the time to get all of the work done in the time given. Learning by doing an all that jazz.

sponsored links

3,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cant clone this person out, any help please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.