Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Feb 2011 (Monday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama or Abe's of Maine

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 21, 2011 21:05 |  #1

I am deciding to purchase the 135L from either Adorama or Abe's of Maine.

I know that there shouldn't be much of a difference, but the 135L is about $25 cheaper from Abe's of Maine because I purchased one of the $50 gift cards for $25.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1003662

However, I am a bit skeptical about buying from Abe's of Maine after a buddy of mine had a very bad experience. What do you guys think?

I am deciding between Adorama and Abe's of Maine only because they both have 2-3% cashback from Mrrebates.com

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links
hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 21, 2011 21:09 |  #2

I'd get it from Adorama. I've bought a couple things from Abe's in the past and did not have the best experiences (I'd rather not go into the long story). Just my 2 cents.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Feb 21, 2011 21:32 |  #3

For a 1k lens you're going to risk using a known-problem seller for 25 bucks?

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 21, 2011 21:36 |  #4

Never used abe's, but always had good experiences w/Adorama.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,604 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 21, 2011 21:44 as a reply to  @ tempest68's post |  #5

I have a short list for buying camera equipment, and Abe's isn't on it. Adorama is on it, however, as are B&H and Costco. (Hmmm... A, B, C...) These guys are fair resellers and I get no hassle from them. That's worth a lot to me. They've earned my trust and I'll trade with them any time.

It's your money, however, and it's your time should you encounter any problems.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 21, 2011 21:51 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #6

i bought my Sigma 50 from Abes of maine with no issues..They had the cheapest price as well. One thing they did do is they called me trying to get me to buy a memory card or asking if I need anymore accessories before they shipped it out.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 21, 2011 21:53 |  #7

Yup. Same here. I bought the Sigma 85 there b/c it was 10% off. They called me trying to get me to buy a filter kit but I told them I was knee deep in filters already. No problems.

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2011 21:54 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

danny819 wrote in post #11888705 (external link)
I am deciding to purchase the 135L from either Adorama or Abe's of Maine.

I know that there shouldn't be much of a difference, but the 135L is about $25 cheaper from Abe's of Maine because I purchased one of the $50 gift cards for $25.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1003662

However, I am a bit skeptical about buying from Abe's of Maine after a buddy of mine had a very bad experience. What do you guys think?

I am deciding between Adorama and Abe's of Maine only because they both have 2-3% cashback from Mrrebates.com

Is is the same 'buddy' of yours that was asking here how he coud defraud B&H by buying a new lens from them and returning his old malfunctioning Sigma ?
I am trying to figure out the reason of constant bashing Abe's of Maine on this forum by 'friend' of yours.

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 21, 2011 21:55 |  #9

05Xrunner wrote in post #11888962 (external link)
i bought my Sigma 50 from Abes of maine with no issues..They had the cheapest price as well. One thing they did do is they called me trying to get me to buy a memory card or asking if I need anymore accessories before they shipped it out.

I can't stand up-selling...I mean, do they really need to try to push for an extra $30-50 on my $2000 purchase?

The above A, A(mazon), & B are my preferred methods too (when I'm in the states)

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 21, 2011 21:55 |  #10

i've ordered from both...and i have no problems recommending abes...i disagree with the above comment about them being a known problem seller...abes has a reseller rating of 8.18/10 at resellerratings.com, adorama is 9.11...but i wouldn't say abes is bad...yeah they'll call you up and ask if you want to buy filters...but a simple no ends all that...for buying sigma lenses you can't really do better than abesofmaine.com, not that that matters here though

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 21, 2011 21:56 |  #11

I also have a short list of places I buy from and Abes is defiantly on it. I have never had any issues with them at all. As a matter of fact I recently returned the 1.4 MKIII because as good as it was I thought it was to much money. I had my money back fast and I also got the dinner for $100 but it was a pain and I never used it. Also on my list is Adorama I have used them a ton, B&H and J&R music

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 21, 2011 21:57 |  #12

I am a big fan of Adorama, I have heard Abe's trying to up-sell crap. I don't they they are bad, but I think Adorama is better.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 21, 2011 21:57 |  #13

I've had no issues buying from Abe's

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 21, 2011 21:59 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #11888997 (external link)
i've ordered from both...and i have no problems recommending abes...i disagree with the above comment about them being a known problem seller...abes has a reseller rating of 8.18/10 at resellerratings.com, adorama is 9.11...but i wouldn't say abes is bad...yeah they'll call you up and ask if you want to buy filters...but a simple no ends all that...for buying sigma lenses you can't really do better than abesofmaine.com, not that that matters here though

I like to read these reviews and often the people are so stupid they blame the seller because UPS or Fedex screws up their shipment

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 21, 2011 22:25 as a reply to  @ Tanglefoot47's post |  #15

I've had no problems with either. Early on Abes did try to call and sell "additional" items, but once I told them "no thanks", they shipped right away. And now that I've got a buying history with them, when I order online, near the check out there is a box for comments, and I simply say, "I don't need filters or additional warranty, please just ship the lens." Within a few hours I have a tracking # and it's on its way to me.

I think they mostly do it with newer customers. But they sell legitimate and authorized stuff. Adorama is excellent too.

sponsored links

3,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama or Abe's of Maine
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.