Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Am I charging"
to much?
28.6%
to little?
71.4%

7 voters, 7 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not another 'What should I charge' thread... Do you think I charge to little?

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 22, 2011 19:25 |  #1

I have been shooting for about two years now, one year full time, and I am getting some business but not as much as I like. My website gets traffic, my google/FB ads get clicks, yet I still get next to no inquiries. I have been told by a lot of different people (not family or friends) that my work is stellar and that they would hire me if they weren't already married, so that makes me think that my photos are fine and my pricing is off. When I talk to other local pro photographers they say I'm on the low to cheap end so I dont think I'm over charging either. Recently I have been thinking that I'm not charging enough for my work and some couples would see me as low end even if im not, do you think that raising my prices would get me business? or push the little that I have away even more?

Here are the collections that I offer for reference:

6 hours of coverage
Engagement session
20 page 8X12 book
High-res images on DVD
Private online gallery (1 year)
$1890

8 hours of coverage
Engagement session
20 page 8X12 album
High-res images on DVD
$2990

10 hours of coverage
Engagement session
20 page 5X7 book
20 page 11X14 album
Wedding Day Slideshow
High-res images on DVD
$4090

12 hours of coverage
Engagement session
Bridal Session
20 page 8X12 book
20 page 11X14 album
Wedding day slideshow
High-res images on DVD
$5090

sponsored links
Got ­ Turbo?
327 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2011 19:27 |  #2

No just right option? :)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 22, 2011 19:31 |  #3

Damn, should have included that! Is there any way to change polls?

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 22, 2011 19:33 |  #4

chrismallet wrote in post #11895105 (external link)
Damn, should have included that! Is there any way to change polls?

Ask a mod with the report button?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2011 19:50 |  #5

Hrm... maybe if you take out the engagement sessions and the photo albums you can knock your prices down $500 or so and see if you get more nibbles? You're not really charging less, just giving them less. Make engagement sessions and albums a la carte. You can even take the DVD off and offer that for $500 and knock your prices down another $300 if you really wanted to and I imagine most people would buy the DVD.

Also does this include just you or a second photographer as well? I just ask because if it's just you some clients may want two photographers and since you don't have an option listed above for two photogs it may turn some clients off.

And do the math. For example let's say you charge $2,000 a wedding and you get 10 a year. That's $20,000 a year. Now let's say you lower your prices to $1,500 and get 15 weddings. You're only making $2,500 more and doing more work. BUT if you lower your prices to $1,500 and get 25 weddings that comes out to $37,500 which would be worth it (to me anyway) even if it means doing a lot more work which probably wouldn't be an issue since you do this full time. But you won't know this until you adjust your prices.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2011 20:35 |  #6

I don't think these threads of "am I charging too much" are as easy to answer as it may seem at first. It all depends on your local market, the demographics of the area, and even then you have to account for where you want to be within the spectrum of price. You know your local area a lot better than we do, and you should have a better idea of what local photogs charge than we would.

There will always be high end photogs who start at 10,000, and there will always be brand new dSLR owners who will charge $100. Where do you want to be on that scale? If you want to be the super high end one, you will have to spend almost as much time working on your brand, networking, and marketing as you do taking photos- not that you shouldn't do that if you charge less, but having great photos isn't enough at that level.

My prices change all the time, depending on what's happening locally. One of the best moves I made was to charge a flat fee for all day and high rez images. Any Books/prints/albums or E-shoots are just added a la carte. It takes the "he's cheap" or He's too expensive" argument out of the equation. If the couple has a bigger budget, they get more nice stuff. If their budget is lower, they still get some great photos. It let's me do some higher end weddings, and some lower end weddings as well- even though I make less money on lower end ones, I also don't have to spend the time doing an album- which can take a lot of time(or an E-shoot, etc.)

You might try doing something similar.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

sponsored links

1,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not another 'What should I charge' thread... Do you think I charge to little?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.