Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 04:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slap me if this is schoolkid stuff...gelling a flash

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2011 04:09 |  #1

Usually when I need to use a flash it's because of a lack of natural daylight and some tungsten lighting.

Over the weekend though I had a wedding where there was plenty of natural light coming in through the windows but where the bride and groom were getting married they were directly under some tunsten lighting.

Anything I can do about that, apart from asking for the light to be turned off??

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2011 04:44 |  #2

You're gonna have mixed light in that situation, but my experience is; pick the light that is the strongest and gel for that.

Cloudy daylight and tungsten are about 3500K apart, so you're gonna have massive blue windows if you gel for that. If you flash over the tungsten and balance for daylight from the windows, you can probably overpower it. Any tungsten lights that are actually in the frame would need some PP to get closer to white.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2011 05:36 |  #3

Currently I'm balancing for the tungsten in Lightroom. Dealing with the blue cast of the daylight by desaturating the blue channel.

Chris Giles Photography

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 23, 2011 07:28 |  #4

Gel wrote in post #11897517 (external link)
Currently I'm balancing for the tungsten in Lightroom. Dealing with the blue cast of the daylight by desaturating the blue channel.

That's the option in post.. but you get to a point where you can only do so much lightroom / PS corrections. I'd always try and gel for the largest light source. It's easier to fix a few tungsten bulbs than an entire window.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,433 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 23, 2011 08:51 |  #5

Gel wrote in post #11897323 (external link)
Usually when I need to use a flash it's because of a lack of natural daylight and some tungsten lighting.

Over the weekend though I had a wedding where there was plenty of natural light coming in through the windows but where the bride and groom were getting married they were directly under some tunsten lighting.

Anything I can do about that, apart from asking for the light to be turned off??

So what did you do about the natural light? Not a wedding person but if you didn't overexpose the natural light I would assume tungsten exposure at those settings wouldn't have made any difference, isn't it?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

rhomsy
455 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 23, 2011 09:22 |  #6

If you have a nice photo, but you think it's ruined by big blue windows, you could always try to fix it in post. Of course, there is no good solution with lights of different colors (unless you wanted that for creative reasons), but you could do this:

I like making the WB corrections in RAW because it yields better results. I Duplicate the image in Aperture (or Lr if you wish), and then set the WB on one for tungsten and on the other for daylight. Then export both and bring them into Ps and blend them together using masking. Not perfect, but it works. Not easy, but if it's a photo that you really want, this can help solve your problem.

5Dmk2, 40D, 10-22, 50 f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L MKII, 28-135 USM, 2x 580EX II, lots of other lighting gear.
flickr (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)
According to my two year old, my wife is the boss.

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2011 09:53 |  #7

Just trying to work through this, as I need to learn more about gels myself...

What if you don't want the windows overexposed and the bride/groom are say 90% tungsten lit, then you'd have to use a CTO and adjust the windows in post, is that correct?

Also, if it were reversed, which gel would you use to match the windows?

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

rhomsy
455 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 23, 2011 10:01 |  #8

Dave Jr wrote in post #11898428 (external link)
Just trying to work through this, as I need to learn more about gels myself...

What if you don't want the windows overexposed and the bride/groom are say 90% tungsten lit, then you'd have to use a CTO and adjust the windows in post, is that correct?

Also, if it were reversed, which gel would you use to match the windows?

Gelling effects color temp, not exposure.

If you gel for tungsten then windows go cool. If don't gel, them bride and groom go warm. There is no effect on exposure.

5Dmk2, 40D, 10-22, 50 f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L MKII, 28-135 USM, 2x 580EX II, lots of other lighting gear.

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2011 10:17 |  #9

Yeah, I get that, but earlier Tweak spoke of overpowering the Tungsten, so I was reversing that idea, and saying if it's mostly Tungsten lighting and you try to overpower the remaining daylight (by throwing more flash power), that might result in the windows being overexposed, but I guess my thinking was flawed?

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

rhomsy
455 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 23, 2011 10:47 |  #10

You can underexpose ambient so that it contributes little to the exposure. Then its color becomes irrelevant. However, unless your strobe can light the entire room, you'll end up with an exposed bride and groom, and everything else will be dark or black. So, you'll probably have to work with the ambient and not fight it.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2011 11:13 |  #11

rhomsy wrote in post #11898786 (external link)
You can underexpose ambient so that it contributes little to the exposure. Then its color becomes irrelevant. However, unless your strobe can light the entire room, you'll end up with an exposed bride and groom, and everything else will be dark or black. So, you'll probably have to work with the ambient and not fight it.

Colors get stronger when underexposing.

So not only will only your B&G be the only lit things, everything else will be either orange as hell from the tungsten or blue as the sky from the windows.

The flip side is that the B&G will not have either color casts, or only very little blue/tungsten color shifts, the flash tends on the cool side.

Personally, i like my portraits warmer rather then cold, so i'd gel with that in mind if i gel, i don't always gel, and have been in exactly that scenario, the blue windows didn't bother many peeps aslong as the skin colors on the subject were fine.

You can also just go BW.:D

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2011 12:44 |  #12

Just with a WB correction and reduced blue...although I'd like to find a simpler way obviously :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Chris Giles Photography

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2011 14:40 |  #13

: o

Good job on the WB, but man those shadows... Were you bouncing straight on the ceiling ? bigger front push would of helped....

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2011 15:11 |  #14

Simplest solution: Make the photo black and white. Color problems solved and your bride and groom will probably think it is really cool they have black and white photos.

I am only being half serious.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2011 17:21 |  #15

I was bouncing off the ceiling and wall. I never use direct.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

2,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slap me if this is schoolkid stuff...gelling a flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.