Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BIG EVENT, SHOULD I RENT CAMERA?

iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2011 09:48 |  #1

hey everyone! I'm shooting a pretty big event this summer and I'm wondering what would be best.

1. rent a 5D Mark II a couple weeks prior and shoot with that to get the best results possible?

2. Use my t2i since I am already familiar with it?

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2011 10:11 |  #2

What gear do you already have?

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

iamchanel
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2011 10:20 as a reply to  @ PeaceFire's post |  #3

I will have a Canon T2i/550D, 50mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4

I'm planning to get a fisheye and possibly a 85mm or 100mm before hand.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2011 10:23 |  #4

You need a second body in case your camera fails. Skip the fisheye- you can do fisheye effects in editing if you really want to. Thus far my fisheye has been the biggest waste of money ever. Get a 30D or 40D for less then $500.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 23, 2011 10:35 |  #5

PeaceFire wrote in post #11898623 (external link)
You need a second body in case your camera fails. Skip the fisheye- you can do fisheye effects in editing if you really want to. Thus far my fisheye has been the biggest waste of money ever. Get a 30D or 40D for less then $500.

I agree to skip the fisheye. That lens is when you have everything else already set, and you still have a bit to go.

On that note, my fisheye wa a great investment for me. It has become part of my style to do portraits with a fisheye (becaaue your not supposed to). With that being said, if i was shooting an event i would probably leave it at home.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2011 10:56 |  #6

I'm rather fond of my fisheye and it can capture images in ways that while software can come close it really can't replicate. Nonetheless, Peacefire and Bryan are right, you have more pressing needs.

That said, I can't comment on your needs until you tell us more about the event. What is it? Is it at night or during the day? Inside or out? What's the nature of the assignment and what are you personally tasked with shooting?

At the end of the day, T2i's are very capable cameras and I see no reason to avoid using it.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

iamchanel
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2011 11:18 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #7

My sister is getting married during the day time... inside a reception hall. She can't afford a photographer. So she asked if I will take the pictures.

I also need to invest in lighting. I was thinking of using on camera lighting because I am not advanced enough to set the off camera stands and flash units up by myself.

I understand that typically one would not shoot this event in my position but she doesn't have the means to hire anyone so I figure good pictures are better than no pictures.

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 23, 2011 12:52 |  #8

Events like that I like to have one camera with a standard zoom (17-50 2.8) and a bounced speedlight. And one camera with a fast prime.

I'd put the 35 1.4 on one camera and a zoom and bounce on the other. Even a kit lens will work if you're bouncing flash. I agree with the others. A 30D, 40D or even another rebel will work fine.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2011 14:42 |  #9

In that case, there's nothing more valuable to you than a good flash (or two if you're going to rent a second body) and invest some time in learning your techinque for bouncing. The 35 you have plus the 85 1.8 would be good choices, though swapping lenses all day is not very desirable so you may want to have that second body. A 50D or 40D might be preferable to a 5D2 anyway, although if you do, you will probably want a lens wider than 35.

If you or the couple are willing to gamble on having only one body (and that's what it is), consider going with something like a 24-105 IS; even on a crop, the 24 should be just barely wide enough for all but the largest group shots and the rest of the range is very workable. That way, you shouldn't have to change lenses at all.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2011 17:21 |  #10

I'd say at the very least you should either buy/rent a second body (30D or 40D if you're guy to buy, 5DII if you're going to rent but get it for a few days and work with it so you get familiar with it before the wedding) and then rent a nice L lens. Peacefield made a great suggestion with the 24-105 IS. Mine is my primary lens and I love it on both my 7D and my 5D.

And for lighting I'd either pick up a 430EX or look for an off-brand flash. I was playing around with some at WPPI this past week and actually noticed little to no difference between those and my Canon brand flashes that I paid almost double for. If you know how to use it right you really don't need a 580EX when you're first starting out.

Your T2i is a great back-up or even primary body if you are more comfortable with it.

And I should say that a fisheye CAN be a great investment, but every time I looked at mine I just kept thinking of all of the other things I should have gotten instead of it. I'm not a huge lens switcher so it usually stays in my bag and never gets used. I really should take it out more often and use it, I just forget about it in favorite of an L zoom and a nice prime like the 100 2.8 MARCO. Get what you need first, get what you want second.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 24, 2011 06:45 |  #11

PeaceFire wrote in post #11901076 (external link)
I'm not a huge lens switcher so it usually stays in my bag and never gets used. I really should take it out more often and use it

Off topic, but I thought I'd mention that this is why I keep my old XT in the bag. Aside from the fact that it's a cheap third body, I keep my FE on it all day and it only comes out the 6 or so times I might want a FE shot. Otherwise, I'd never use that lens either.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 24, 2011 09:44 |  #12

Peacefield wrote in post #11904275 (external link)
Off topic, but I thought I'd mention that this is why I keep my old XT in the bag. Aside from the fact that it's a cheap third body, I keep my FE on it all day and it only comes out the 6 or so times I might want a FE shot. Otherwise, I'd never use that lens either.

That's a really good idea. I meant to keep my XTi but some jerk stole it out of the back of my assistants car. The Modesto PD found it but refuse to give it back to me yet for some stupid reason (over a year later). But if I ever get it back, I think I'll start doing that!

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 24, 2011 10:52 as a reply to  @ PeaceFire's post |  #13

I have a 430 and a few manual flashes, but I always rent a 580 from my local shop. $20 for the whole weekend.

I also hate switching lenses. I wish I had a Rebel for every lens ;)

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 26, 2011 20:11 as a reply to  @ snakeman55's post |  #14

1) Flash
2) Second camera
3) Mid-range zoom

I'd get the 5D II if you can do that and get everything else.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 26, 2011 20:52 |  #15

Rent a 17-55 F2.8 IS lens and a Canon flash, and rent/borrow a second body as backup. For the ceremony shoot ISO1600 or ISO3200, F2.8, and hope the shutter's 1/50th or better. If it's not then use your flash, bounced off the ceiling if possible, but avoid it in the church/hall if you can.

I would stick with what you know, though a 5DII will be reasonably similar to use, and will be a bit better at high ISO. The thing is there's no Canon F2.8 IS normal zoom, and the dof is a lot smaller with full frame, which is a downside if you're not experienced. Usually I want more DOF, not less, shooting full frame.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
BIG EVENT, SHOULD I RENT CAMERA?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.