Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D - to grip or not to grip - that is the question

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 16:12 |  #1

need your input, on the advantages/disadvantag​es of gripped/no grip...

let the debate, begin!

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,823 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 24, 2011 16:15 |  #2

extra weight and cost :cry:
If you want an L bracket, make sure you get any grip first ;)
adds vertical orientation trigger :D

recent Photo Plus mag for Canon had review of some...and Canon was not the big winner. ;)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 24, 2011 16:17 |  #3

There are several "related threads" linked at the bottom of this thread, which you would have found if you'd bothered to search. Not only has the subject of grips been debated repeatedly but you didn't even come up with an original thread title.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

TWOLITREmedia
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 24, 2011 16:17 |  #4

I have mine gripped and absolutely love it! Really depends on what you shoot though.....First of if you shoot in verticle position a lot then DEFINATELY get the grip, you will save on much unwanted wear and tare on your joints and muscles from awkwardly cocking the camera all day.

The other advantage is I believe you gain an extra FPS or two with it loaded with 6xAA batteries. (I could be wrong on this) Not that the out-of-box 8 FPS isn't good enough, but why not grab a couple extra frames in the moment. I shoot a lot of high action automotive track photography so it helps.

Last but not least the over feel of the camera changes, I am a fairly large guy with big hands so I LOVE the extra size to the body with the grip on. I take the grip off now and it feels like my lens makes my set-up forward heavy. All of what I have said applies to my 5Dc as well as both my bodies are gripped.

Personal choice and preference is what it comes down to though so go out to your local camera store that has one in stock, slap one on, shoot around and see what you think!

My .02 anyways.

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 16:20 |  #5

krb wrote in post #11907288 (external link)
There are several "related threads" linked at the bottom of this thread, which you would have found if you'd bothered to search. Not only has the subject of grips been debated repeatedly but you didn't even come up with an original thread title.

I'll read the threads.... thanks..

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2011 16:38 as a reply to  @ tagakweens's post |  #6

After reading all the other threads I think you will find it comes down to personal preference. I have never taken mine off since I bought it. The reasons are that I shoot a lot of sports which is in portrait orientation so the shutter placement is much better. The extra battery life allows me to be lazy and not charge as often. Lastly, I just like the overall heft and feel with the grip on. The downside is the weight and finding bags I like that accommodate a gripped body. The things I consider a plus are based on my own preferences though. Those that don't shoot in portrait much or have smaller hands usually don't like grips at all. Again, it all comes down to YOUR needs.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2011 17:29 |  #7

I was debating a grip or not, so I tried a cheaper solution... The zeikos grip.

I got it for $65 I believe shipped... It is actually quite nice and feels pretty good. The weight though does go up... But for normal shooting it is a little more comfy to hold.

However for trips and times I will be shooting for a few hours, I will remove it. The weight even with a good strap would probably get to me, especially with a 70-200 f/2.8 on the end of the camera (and at times, another camera on my shoulder). So less weight, the better.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2011 17:30 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #8

I like my grip, not sure how it is without as I have used it from day one.

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2011 17:37 |  #9

Come on Ken, don't be such a sour puss - haha
You know we were due for a "grip thread" - it's been about, what, three weeks since the last one.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 24, 2011 17:54 |  #10

Is that part of your Northern Charm or did you just come over from DP Review?

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2011 18:11 |  #11

JBF wrote in post #11907891 (external link)
Is that part of your Northern Charm or did you just come over from DP Review?

He has a point.
There are countless number of threads on whether to grip or not - it's almost a weekly occurrence.
It doesn't take an Einstein to work out the topic of grips may have been discussed previously.
Even just a cursory glance on the "Accessories & Storage" board would have turned up a minimum of three or four grip related threads.
It's fine to ask for help, but do some work to help yourself first.

Judging by the OP's last line "let the debate, begin!" he probably knew that the thread could get heated.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2011 18:15 |  #12

You know.... If we used the search feature there would be VERY few new posts. Nothing wrong bringing back the dead..unless it's a cat in Pet Cemetary *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2011 18:16 |  #13

Had a grip.. I LOVE the way it feel on a camera BUT I also hate the way it hogs up storage in the camera bag.

Do you want people to say HEY what an impressive camera...get a grip.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2011 19:16 |  #14

scorpio_e wrote in post #11908013 (external link)
You know.... If we used the search feature there would be VERY few new posts. Nothing wrong bringing back the dead..unless it's a cat in Pet Cemetary *L*

EXACTLY.

It drives me INSANE when people do nothing but troll saying to use the search feature. Honestly, if everybody searched there would be little to nothing to talk about. For those who have such an issue, just ignore it. We need repetitive posts so those who do search find tons of information on it...

Plus, technology changes. What is true at one point may change at another. Just like the whole, how many MP is too much... A few years ago, people preached 10 was the limit they ever would go... Now people are saying double that. Opinions change, nothing wrong with asking again.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 19:30 |  #15

Amen

sponsored links

2,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D - to grip or not to grip - that is the question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.