Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paint drops...

katodog
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2011 22:15 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter297.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter293.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter285.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter290.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter295.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter291.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter286.jpg (external link)

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter281.jpg (external link)

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links
tripl3distill3d
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2011 00:05 |  #2

love it.

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2011 11:34 |  #3

Nice series katodog! These are great! Love the long-ness of them. You must have had the tunes cranked!

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

Justdoit
160 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2011 17:43 |  #4

Wow! These look amazing! I definitely like 3 and 5 the most because of the dynamic change between the long strands and the dots as well as the color balance from left to right.

40D | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f/4 L non-IS | 430 EX II | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | 50 mm f/1.4
Here to learn.

kraaazymike
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 25, 2011 20:07 |  #5

Great series! For some reason they remind me of interpretive dance.... Thanks for sharing!

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2011 20:30 |  #6

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

bzollinger wrote in post #11912400 (external link)
Nice series katodog! These are great! Love the long-ness of them. You must have had the tunes cranked!

Not any louder than usual, it all depends on how much paint I use and what song I play.

kraaazymike wrote in post #11915194 (external link)
Great series! For some reason they remind me of interpretive dance.... Thanks for sharing!

I've got a shot from a while ago that I named "The Juggler" because it looked like a juggler entertaining kids...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter213.jpg (external link)

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Dano_nav
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2011 08:50 |  #7

Love these images. Can you describe your lighting and setup? This is very intriguing!

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2011 09:31 |  #8

Thanks for the comment, and yes I can describe my setup for you...

Here's an image of the typical setup...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …399/katodog/DSC​F1935a.jpg (external link)

It's basically a subwoofer from an old Creative 5.1 surround system I had for my old desktop computer and a flash. The shots in this thread were lit with two flash units, but the setup is basically the same no matter how many flash I use. The fluorescent light to the right isn't used, it's just there from when I shoot smoke, and I just pivot it out of the way for water drops or paint drops.

Take a speaker, the subwoofer works good because it's got a flat face, and cover it with plastic. I'm using the type of plastic you see used to cover your windows in the winter, and I just double-sided tape it to the speaker, making sure it's fairly tight. If it sags or has wrinkles the paint won't jump off right, or might not jump at all. The tighter, the better, because it reacts much better to the sound waves coming out of the speaker. Set your flash on either side, or both sides, and that's pretty much it.

I use wireless triggers, and set the flash to 1/64 or 1/128 power, and shoot ISO anywhere between 100 to 800, depending on how many flashes I'm using, how much power the flash is set to, and if I'm using one or two. Any lens will work, I've used the 100mm L macro, the Sigma 18-200mm OS, Sig 70-200mm f/2.8, Nifty Fifty, etc.. Lens choice doesn't matter. Set to manual focus, and put something on the speaker where you're placing the paint so you can set focus. I normally stay around f/8, but I have done shots at f/4 and f/2.8, trying to get a little "artsy" with the DOF. Shutter speed around 1/250, but I've done slow speeds, like 1/15-1/30, and it gives a pretty cool "fireworks" effect to the shots, like this one which was at 1/15...

http://i15.photobucket​.com …atodog/Water/Wa​ter207.jpg (external link)

There's a lot to be done with different apertures, exposures, etc., but the initial setup is basically the same. I put the camera on a tripod so the focus point stays where I want it, and I either use a wireless shutter release or I just stand there with my finger on the shutter. Burst mode of course, and it doesn't matter if you use spot metering or not because you're in Manual. Also doesn't matter about single-shot, AI Servo, etc., because you're set to manual focus.

The music is controlled by a cabled volume control that came with the surround system, I can hold it in my hand and raise or lower the volume, and music comes from my Zune. I would imagine that you could just hook up to a stereo or similar and use the volume knob, but you'd need a separate volume control besides what's built-in if you use a Zune, iPod, etc., because they won't get a high-enough volume to make the paint jump high. You also ant at least one satellite speaker so you can hear the music, otherwise you might not be able to gauge when to start shooting in correspondence to when the bumps start. Subs are great for the bumps and rumbles, but without being able to hear the music you won't know when to hit the shutter button.

That's about it I think, simple setup, decent results. The paint I use is just some stuff my daughter had from a window paint set she had, and I just watered it down enough to make it fluid enough to jump. Thick paint won't work, it's just sits there, it has to have a little bit of liquidity to it. You can try water and food coloring, but it might end up to clear for the light to hit it, paint is a solid color so it works a lot better.

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2011 11:50 |  #9

I also forgot to add; the flash is snooted. I make snoots out of cardboard and use them to direct the flash towards the paint, otherwise you'll get spill-over onto your background. I haven't tried it without the snoots, maybe a semi-lit background would look cool, I don't know. I also haven't used a white background, but I'm sure that might have some cool effects to it if somebody were to try it.

jgaurd
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 27, 2011 09:17 as a reply to  @ katodog's post |  #10

Very nice.

pixelchix
81 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 27, 2011 20:20 as a reply to  @ jgaurd's post |  #11

You rock to share your set up in such great detail. I have always wanted to try this. I teased my husband and told him I was going to use his Kef (speakers) he didn't even crack a smile:confused:

kidflash
58 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 27, 2011 20:23 as a reply to  @ pixelchix's post |  #12

Very cool, thanks for the setup.

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 27, 2011 20:32 |  #13

pixelchix wrote in post #11926134 (external link)
You rock to share your set up in such great detail. I have always wanted to try this. I teased my husband and told him I was going to use his Kef (speakers) he didn't even crack a smile:confused:

Yup, that's a sure-fire way to turn a guy into a wife-beater. Best bet is to run out to the local Wally-world and buy a cheap computer speaker system with a flat-faced sub, you can easily find one for probably around $20-$40. Cover the speaker right and you won't hurt it, and can still use it for the computer if you want

Telling the hubby you want to use his speakers is along the same lines as running up and kicking him in the ding-dong. Telling your hubby you want to use his KEF, that's like running up to him and smashing him in the junk with a cast-iron skillet...about 400 times.

rcfury
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 27, 2011 21:24 as a reply to  @ katodog's post |  #14

Telling the hubby you want to use his speakers is along the same lines as running up and kicking him in the ding-dong. Telling your hubby you want to use his KEF, that's like running up to him and smashing him in the junk with a cast-iron skillet...about 400 times.

bw!ROFL!!

So im sure your walls are covered in paint splatters. Ill be afraid to do this inside. Well at least not without all carpet and walls covered in plastic covering.

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----
♦ Check out my FLICKR  (external link) (external link)

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 27, 2011 21:28 |  #15

Nope, no mess at all. I've got my setup on the shelf-top, which is roughly 17" square, and out of the thousands of shots I've done I've got at most three drops on the floor. All the paint stays within a foot or so circumference around the middle of the speaker, it goes mostly straight up, and the arcing stuff doesn't go farther than the top of the shelf.

Plus I'm using paint that's super-easy to clean up, it's from a window-paint kit my daughter had, and once it dries it peels right off.

sponsored links

8,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paint drops...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.