Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 25 Feb 2011 (Friday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which is the best setup for a delivery room?"
just my 5d2 and a 50 1.4
53.3%
5d2, 50 1.4 and flashes
3.3%
5d2, 50 1.4, 24-70 and flashes
13.3%
5d2, 50 1.4, 17-40 and flashes
10%
Bring it all!
20%

30 voters, 30 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Delivery room shots

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 25, 2011 08:23 |  #1

My wife and I are having our first baby soon and I wanted some advice about what camera gear to take with me. I would prefer to limit the conversation to talking about what equipment to take and not spend time on how much I should or should not be shooting. I probably will shoot only a couple shots during delivery and do a few documentary shots after that (weighing, laying on wife's stomach, etc) but not do much beyond that until later.

I have: 5D MKii, 50 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 17-40, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580EX II, 430EX II, STE-2

I was thinking my primary would be the 5d and 50 1.4. I won't bring the 70-200. The question is whether to bring the 17-40 or the 24-70. For shots later on I was thinking I could mount the STE-2 and set the flashes in a couple corners of the room (bounced to the ceiling) to get some nice shots. Would the 17-40 be best because I would need the wide angle for this or will I want the speed or length of the 24-70, or is it a stupid idea and I should just shoot with the 50? Another point in favor of the 17-40 is that fact that it is half the size and weight of the 24-70.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
smmokan
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 25, 2011 09:29 |  #2

Wow... only on an internet forum.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 25, 2011 10:29 |  #3

smmokan wrote in post #11911630 (external link)
Wow... only on an internet forum.

And what is that supposed to mean?

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 27, 2011 06:33 |  #4

I would just use on-camera flash and bounce it off the walls/ceiling. I like the 17-40, but the 24-70 would work too. Why not just bring both?

You want things as simple as possible, while still making great pictures.

Dave Hoffmann

dbraga
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 27, 2011 10:57 as a reply to  @ Gatorboy's post |  #5

congrats on your baby! we just had ours and I brought in my 500D and 1.8. I think you will be fine with your 50mm. I prefer the natural lighting with babies so you can get the "real" experience. You could always tug along the 17-40 for afterwards, but I would leave the flashes at home. good luck and have fun!

Canon 5DM3 / SIgma 35 1.4 / a growing list of MF lenses

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 27, 2011 11:05 |  #6

Seems cruel to use flash around a person that has been living in a dark cavern for 9 months. I'd just use natural and bring one lens. Either the 50mm or 24-70 will do fine.

I see people stress about baby and hospital pictures and really they are not as hard as people make it sound. The baby doesn't move much and you'll have 2+ days of recovery time at the hospital to take and retake lots of photos. Last time I only brought my Canon Pns and it did fine.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 27, 2011 16:12 |  #7

dbraga wrote in post #11923193 (external link)
I prefer the natural lighting with babies so you can get the "real" experience.

Most likely the shades will be drawn, not sure how much "natural light" you'll get.

Dave Hoffmann

albertaskater
347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2011 21:57 |  #8

Sideways question: Is the missus actually ok with giving birth in a portable studio? Me, I wanted the experience as intimate (non-publicized) as possible. I would not have minded some candid photos, chronicling the time... but the thought of strobes or a bunch of flashes all set up... makes me kind of cringe. Don't get me wrong, some photos are great.

As far as reach... I don't know the particular set up of the room you will use. Ours was probably 20'X30' but I had my kids in a small rural hospital where the delivery rooms served as OR's as well. If it's say, hotel room size, I'm guessing you know what type of focal length you'll want. Chances are you won't be shooting anything from farther than 10' or so... the baby on the scale is probably the farthest you'll be. My second was not crying when she was born and they whisked her away quick, so she would have been a good 16-20' away while they worked on her to make sure she was ok. I then went into shock so whatever gear dear hubby had with him got put away PDQ and other things rapidly became more important. For that reason, I would tend to advise against a larger set-up... IOW as has been said, as simple as possible.

So in short, all depends on the venue and the subject's comfort, IMHO. She gets final say in all matters! ;-)a

Oh, and GL!!!

Erika
7D, 350D, 18-55 XT kit, 18-135 IS, 50 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 430 EX II

Darweshi
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 27, 2011 23:34 |  #9

I would go as simple as possible...just the 50...Now mind you, this is coming from a mom who has gone through two 20+ hour natural births in me, not the photography lover in me. If my hubby was messing with lenses during labor, well, let's just say that his lenses may not have survived. ;) But in all seriousness, just go simple for the birth. You will want to, and need to, focus on your wife and not worry about too much camera gear. Like another poster said, you will have time during Tue next two days in the hospital to get tons of other shots. Remember, you may want a nurse to snap a few of the brand new family, so unless you happen to snag a nurse that also knows how to work a 5d2, you may want to bring a P&S too.
Best of luck and congratulations!

dbraga
106 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2011 02:35 |  #10

Gatorboy wrote in post #11924801 (external link)
Most likely the shades will be drawn, not sure how much "natural light" you'll get.

you will get the lighting from the room and the heating lamp they put the baby under after he/she is born. IMHO and experience, you will enjoy those more.

Canon 5DM3 / SIgma 35 1.4 / a growing list of MF lenses

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 01, 2011 05:28 |  #11

dbraga wrote in post #11934395 (external link)
you will get the lighting from the room and the heating lamp they put the baby under after he/she is born. IMHO and experience, you will enjoy those more.

Uh, that's not NATURAL lighting. Sun, Fire, Lightning and Fireflies is about it for natural lighting.

Your best option is on-camera flash, bounced off walls, ceiling. Set your camera on Manual, say ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/60 and your flash on ETTL. Then enjoy the birth and later the images you created as well.

Dave Hoffmann

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 01, 2011 17:02 |  #12

I voted for bring it all, but really I think:

50 1.4, no flash for most of your shots
17-40 plus flash for a few pull back, whole room shots.

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 01, 2011 17:15 |  #13

bouncing the light isn't too bad on the eyes...that heat lamp they put them under seems a bit cruel on the eyes not to mention the flashlight they shine in them.....has got to be one hell of a experience.

Congrats on the baby.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 01, 2011 18:55 |  #14

karobinson wrote in post #11937989 (external link)
bouncing the light isn't too bad on the eyes...

Plus the fact that is fires at about 1/5000 second. No issues with flash at all.

Dave Hoffmann

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2011 19:49 |  #15

Also, some hospitals don't let you take photos of the actual birth because of liability reasons. I was thinking 35mm on a full frame for mine, with cramped quarters.

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

sponsored links

9,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Delivery room shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.