Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash or Tripod?

CitizenMinistry
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 26, 2011 18:48 |  #1

Mostly doing indoor/event photography, and wanting to get into night, landscaping, I am torn between which way to go.

So, I was wondering if you had to give up your flash or tripod, which would you give up first?

sponsored links
DarenM
673 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 26, 2011 18:59 |  #2

flash

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 26, 2011 19:02 |  #3

Honestly, I don't think I could give up either. Different tools for different jobs.

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 26, 2011 20:08 |  #4

Put it this way, in challenging light my first option is (usually) flash.

But it's not an either or question. You need both a flash (or three) and a tripod, and a monopod and a beanbag, and you also want IS, high ISO, and a nice low f/number.

And then of course, it depends ;)

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

CitizenMinistry
THREAD ­ STARTER
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 26, 2011 20:25 as a reply to  @ Hoppy1's post |  #5

dang I am so torn. I feel like I should jump on the gitzo rebate before it expires...

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2011 20:46 as a reply to  @ CitizenMinistry's post |  #6

Like everyone else mentioned, they're both valuable tools, often used in different situations. If I could only have one, I'd choose a flash. If there's no light, a tripod won't really help. ;)

gordon
Gear and Feedback

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Feb 27, 2011 07:19 |  #7

If I had to choose one or the other (which thankfully I do not) I would get a flash and save for a nice tripod.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2011 07:53 |  #8

I got the tripod first, because I don't usually take many indoor shots/portraits, but now I find myself wanting a more flexible flash than my 300TL which only has 2 power levels on my 450D...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

CitizenMinistry
THREAD ­ STARTER
209 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 09:57 |  #9

bought the GT2531 this morning!

sponsored links

1,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash or Tripod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.