Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 04:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet 3 Head Studio Lighting Case CALRM2301

chimpychomps
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 27, 2011 04:56 |  #1

I was looking for something that would reduce 3 seperate bags into one case when rolling at the same time, robust. There were a few others in consideration: from Think Tank (expensive), Kata (expensive), Pelican (heavy) and a few others that I can't remember right now.

The Calumet was relatively cheaper than most of the models that I had looked at (US$178 (external link) or €169 (external link)). Price was a major factor and that there was a Calumet store nearby for me to get some hands on time. Up close, it appears well built and strong. My only concern (for any bag of this nature) is the weight and whether those little nylon in-line type of wheels would stand up to rugged use of being shoved into cars and dropped onto concrete/Tarmac repeatedly. It's a lot to ask for from those tiny rollers. It's only a matter of time.

Up close, it's tall. (86cm/34"). There's a sensible handle on top , none on the sides and a grip/stand on the base. The grip handles have a velcro handle to make it a little easier on the hands with the weight these bags have loaded into them.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5481656842_ae5828be02_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5481057177_455cd96a6d_b.jpg

The wheels protrude from the body of the bag - meaning that little more space on the inside of the bag. The stand on the bottom is recessed for it to be an extra grip - very handy to pull it out of the trunk of a car.
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5481657550_6f380267a3_b.jpg

The zipper runs around three sides of the bag. They look as if it might handle over stuffing the bag. The Zipper handles themselves have loops for a padlock - should you need one - though if anyone can run off with this bag fully loaded, you probably should question if you should tangle with them!
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5481657810_c5b29374c0_b.jpg

When you open the bag you see a padded lightweight board - which would seperate the stands from the lighting gear. The stands strap onto the board and protect the gear from the shifting that may occur when in transit. The lid isn't so deep to handle many stands thicker in nature - but I had intended to carry stands seperately to save on weight. The padded board is completely removeable. The net pocket on the lid has two compartments with one single zip runinng along the entire length of the bag. Anything in these pockets might have to survive being crushed by heavy stands - bring in direct contact with them.
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5094/5481057875_2ce976290c_b.jpg

The main compartment uses stiff velcro dividers for seperation. For my gear I seem to have a little room in each compartment left over so I stuff smaller items in to fill. The bag isn't deep enough for heads to stand up - I laid mine down flat.

All in all the whole package with a Ranger and two mono heads weighs around 29kg. That's hefty. With stands as well (which I won't) you'd be asking for back trouble. The bag is reinforced on the outside with tough plastic corners where needed and it's completely rigid in build. As mentioned before my concern will be those tiny nylon wheels shifting that amount of weight and how long they might last. My plan for this is for storage to car to studio and certainly not long distances over gravel and uneven surfaces.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5481058417_71b7d86963_b.jpg

For the price it's not bad at all. Over a longer period we will have to see how it holds up.

youknowthebo
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 02, 2011 06:07 |  #2

Hey.

Just read your great review. Thanks. A couple of months have past, any new inside about this bag? How are the wheels?

Cheers,
Bo

Film Editor and Photographer
www.ISMONO.com (external link)

Asillett
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 09, 2014 08:06 as a reply to  @ youknowthebo's post |  #3

I would be a bit wary of buying this. My experience: The straps tore off quickly, the zip pull then broke and now the handle has snapped off.

SooK
109 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 09, 2014 14:01 |  #4

Asillett wrote in post #17203195 (external link)
I would be a bit wary of buying this. My experience: The straps tore off quickly, the zip pull then broke and now the handle has snapped off.

That is the Calumet brand in a nutshell. I like their stores, but their own brand isn't worth much.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet 3 Head Studio Lighting Case CALRM2301
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.