Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first HDR attempt, CC please!

confusedinNC
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 27, 2011 08:15 |  #1

spent yesterday morning wandering around downtown Raleigh, NC and thought i would attempt a couple HDR's. Criticism would me much appreciated! it was very sunny yesterday so most of my shots ended up pretty blown out. I used a canon 7d with a tamron 10-24mm lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 27, 2011 08:22 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

HDR can often be too cooked and Sur-Real.
I would back off and fade the effect.
I would also correct the buildings that are falling over like Egypt's Great Pyramid.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

ShaneKPhotography
831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 27, 2011 19:48 |  #3

I don't like the HDR on these photos. I agree with EL_PIC's comments.

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.
flickr (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Website (external link)

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 28, 2011 12:38 |  #4

I'm sorry, but Jazzi..wtf does posting your own "hdr" photo do for the OP? A fair question i think.

As already mentioned, i'm curious why these photos have the Egyptian pyramid toppling effect on them? Maybe it's a re-size issue err something as my 10-22 doesn't make my photos this extreme (an almost dizzying effect). There is great texture throughout both photos and good subjects of focus (minus the distracting stop lights) but the sky just doesn't seem to match. This is a very common issue when using hdr to solve a problem (problem being missing detail you're attempting to recapture).

How many photos did you use for each final photo?

Jazzi
216 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 28, 2011 14:06 |  #5

JayZ235 wrote in post #11930050 (external link)
I'm sorry, but Jazzi..wtf does posting your own "hdr" photo do for the OP? A fair question i think.

Sure, it's a fair question. I thought the topic, 'first HDR attemp, CC please' might, in addition to the OP, serve as a place where others could post their first, as well.

My apologies to the OP.

Image deleted.

------
Canon 5dMk3
Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 135 f2.0L, Canon 100L IS 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 70-200L, Canon 16-35L 2.8IS II, Canon 85 f1.8

Scottdog129
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 28, 2011 14:10 |  #6

As already mentioned, i'm curious why these photos have the Egyptian pyramid toppling effect on them? Maybe it's a re-size issue err something as my 10-22 doesn't make my photos this extreme (an almost dizzying effect). There is great texture throughout both photos and good subjects of focus (minus the distracting stop lights) but the sky just doesn't seem to match. This is a very common issue when using hdr to solve a problem (problem being missing detail you're attempting to recapture).

I have a Sigma 10-20 that does the same thing. Just have to pull back from the subject is all.

Scott Thompson - www.sthompsonphoto.com (external link)
Canon EOS 30D - Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 - Sigma 10-20mm f/4 DSM -Canon 55-250mm IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 28, 2011 15:21 |  #7

Jazzi wrote in post #11930610 (external link)
Sure, it's a fair question. I thought the topic, 'first HDR attemp, CC please' might, in addition to the OP, serve as a place where others could post their first, as well.

My apologies to the OP.

Image deleted.

I see where you're coming from, but if you're looking for C&C feel free to create your own thread! Myself and others would be more than happy to offer you some C&C i'm sure

Scottdog129 wrote in post #11930652 (external link)
I have a Sigma 10-20 that does the same thing. Just have to pull back from the subject is all.

I'm not sure how the distortion compares on these lenses, but i don't think the Canon is as bad? I suppose pulling back then re-cropping would solve the problem, or adjusting in PP

confusedinNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2011 17:09 |  #8

there is a lot of distortion on that tamron 10-24mm, even with the crop on the 7D, but also im only like 30 feet away from that parking deck (the 2nd picture,) the camera is angled pretty far up so i could get a good amount of sky, and its over 100 feet tall. In the future i will definitely be more aware of that kind of unnatural distortion.

Also i decided to try the HDR after i had already taken the pictures, so maybe the way i went about doing it wasnt the 'correct' way to do it? I just started with the picture in photoshop (.jpeg) and adjusted the levels to make 3 different pictures. and the original picture was kindof blown out so i just adjusted two darker pictures from that. Aside from making the hdr image, i didnt really do anything else other than sharpen it a bit...

So aside from the slouching building, is the entire picture just too extreme? or just the sky looks unnatural to the rest of the photo? should i be putting the hdr over the original picture and backing off the opacity of the hdr to get a mix of them? Im pretty confused as to how exactly im supposed to implement the hdr picture in the end...

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2011 19:08 |  #9

confusedinNC wrote in post #11931689 (external link)
there is a lot of distortion on that tamron 10-24mm, even with the crop on the 7D, but also im only like 30 feet away from that parking deck (the 2nd picture,) the camera is angled pretty far up so i could get a good amount of sky, and its over 100 feet tall. In the future i will definitely be more aware of that kind of unnatural distortion.

Also i decided to try the HDR after i had already taken the pictures, so maybe the way i went about doing it wasnt the 'correct' way to do it? I just started with the picture in photoshop (.jpeg) and adjusted the levels to make 3 different pictures. and the original picture was kindof blown out so i just adjusted two darker pictures from that. Aside from making the hdr image, i didnt really do anything else other than sharpen it a bit...

So aside from the slouching building, is the entire picture just too extreme? or just the sky looks unnatural to the rest of the photo? should i be putting the hdr over the original picture and backing off the opacity of the hdr to get a mix of them? Im pretty confused as to how exactly im supposed to implement the hdr picture in the end...

Sorry, but that's not HDR. No matter how many spinoff exposures you make from the original exposure, their combination will never amount to HDR for the simple reason that you can never gain any more dynamic range than what was captured in the original image.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

confusedinNC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2011 19:32 |  #10

so not even if i shot a RAW image and made the edits in lightroom? (i have never shot RAW, so i wouldnt really know) The way i went about it was just a feeble attempt at recreating what i read some people doing with a single RAW image.

job13_5
140 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 28, 2011 19:50 |  #11

I like the first one! It's not everyones cup of tea, but I like it.

As for it being HDR, I don't see why it wouldn't qualify. Why should it matter how the exposure came about, just so long as the image covers the highlights through the low lights. To my mind HDR is not a process but a product. Otherwise it'd be called HDRing.

Canon 7D; 18-55mm; Sigma 17-70mm

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2011 20:25 |  #12

confusedinNC wrote in post #11932591 (external link)
so not even if i shot a RAW image and made the edits in lightroom? (i have never shot RAW, so i wouldnt really know) The way i went about it was just a feeble attempt at recreating what i read some people doing with a single RAW image.

No, not even. You can make edits in Lightroom, Photoshop, whatever program you can think of...it is still not HDR if you're creating multiple images from the single original file. You really should do some research on HDR, the theory behind it, and when it should be employed. Those using a single RAW image are not creating an HDR image by combining multiple exposures made from the single image, pure and simple. The fact that the process is named 'High Dynamic Range' should tell you something. I also find it best to not attempt to "recreate" something that others are doing when they are doing it incorrectly. If you're a beginner, become proficient on the basics of photography first, then worry about the advanced stuff later.

GEAR LIST

job13_5
140 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 28, 2011 21:17 |  #13

argyle wrote in post #11932892 (external link)
No, not even. You can make edits in Lightroom, Photoshop, whatever program you can think of...it is still not HDR if you're creating multiple images from the single original file. You really should do some research on HDR, the theory behind it, and when it should be employed. Those using a single RAW image are not creating an HDR image by combining multiple exposures made from the single image, pure and simple. The fact that the process is named 'High Dynamic Range' should tell you something. I also find it best to not attempt to "recreate" something that others are doing when they are doing it incorrectly. If you're a beginner, become proficient on the basics of photography first, then worry about the advanced stuff later.

I'd still have to disagree with this. I imagine your beef with the process the OP describes is that he hasn't captured the tonal range of the scene satisfactorily. But, I don't think that it matters if you create an image from a single RAW or 50. Ultimately, the end product is going to be, technically, LDR unless you present it on a bonafide HDR medium. As soon as the image is compressed, it's no longer strictly HDR. So, if the OP's image adequately represents what he was seeing, and what he was seeing was an image that covered a high dynamic range, then why not call it HDR in common parlance?

Canon 7D; 18-55mm; Sigma 17-70mm

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 01, 2011 07:48 |  #14

job13_5 wrote in post #11933205 (external link)
I'd still have to disagree with this. I imagine your beef with the process the OP describes is that he hasn't captured the tonal range of the scene satisfactorily. But, I don't think that it matters if you create an image from a single RAW or 50. Ultimately, the end product is going to be, technically, LDR unless you present it on a bonafide HDR medium. As soon as the image is compressed, it's no longer strictly HDR. So, if the OP's image adequately represents what he was seeing, and what he was seeing was an image that covered a high dynamic range, then why not call it HDR in common parlance?

No 'beef' with the OP...just trying to provide some information. Sorry, but what's being done in this instance (and others like it) is not HDR. A single image can only capture so much dynamic range, which is the reason for blocked shadows and blown highlights in scenes with a dynamic range that exceeds the ability of the camera. Simply bumping the exposure of a single image 2-stops (or any amount) either way cannot bring back data that just wasn't there in the first place. You can't make something out of nothing...

GEAR LIST

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 01, 2011 07:57 |  #15

With a single image I feel like you would get more out of it by properly processing it rather than attempting HDR. I have pulled alot of data out of some of my images just by messing with the sliders and basic masking in Lightroom. Some of the time they end up looking HDR like without the need to do any HDR processing.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
first HDR attempt, CC please!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.