Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Camera

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2011 10:55 |  #1

Why is a crop camera not suitible for wedding photography????????

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

sponsored links
gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 27, 2011 11:34 |  #2

Who told you that? :)
While most people believe that full framers are probably better for weddings for various reasons (generally better handling of noise, shallower DoF, etc.) , the difference is not night and day, certainly not something that would make a a crop camera "unsuitable". I'd be confident shooting a wedding with my 7D and/or 60D if was into that kind of thing AND had a couple more fast lenses.

It's almost like saying for example that an Gibson Les Paul is unsuitable for country music. It may sound a little too thick and not twangy enough for perfect country but it's definitely doable, especially in the right hands :)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:37 |  #3

ranger50 wrote in post #11923184 (external link)

Any camera is suitable. Pros shoot weddings with w/crops all the time. FF is just the more popular choice because of the better low light capability, DOF control (can't use flash in some parts of the wedding) and the arguably better detail retention.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

ranger50
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:38 |  #4

gabebalazs wrote in post #11923367 (external link)
Who told you that? :)
While most people believe that full framers are probably better for weddings for various reasons (generally better handling of noise, shallower DoF, etc.) , the difference is not night and day, certainly not something that would make a a crop camera "unsuitable". I'd be confident shooting a wedding with my 7D and/or 60D if was into that kind of thing AND had a couple more fast lenses.

I know that I can shoot weddings with my setup, and I have.I agree I would like to have a few more lenses. I thru this out there because I have been seeing in other threads where the Camera wizards Insist that to shoot weddings, you must be full frame. I am looking for them to post here, and explain why they belive that.:D

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2011 11:38 |  #5

Because people can have small minds.

XFaega
168 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:44 |  #6

I have seen great wedding shots with crop cameras. I'm a FF person and I came from a crop camera. My friend she uses a crop camera and her work is awesome. I think it all depends on the shooter. But you have remember when selecting lens that you have to ad the 1.3 or 1.6 crop factor so your work fits the situation.

Canon EOS 5D MK II

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 27, 2011 11:47 |  #7

you obviously have not met Lloyd [picturecrazy]. :) he shoots amazing weddings with crop cameras ALL the time.

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:50 |  #8

^Yep Lloyd does have some excellent wedding shoots!

-Hieu

ranger50
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:53 |  #9

-MasterChief- wrote in post #11923451 (external link)
you obviously have not met Lloyd [picturecrazy]. :) he shoots amazing weddings with crop cameras ALL the time.

No, this is the first I am hearing about him. I'll have to take a peek at his work.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 27, 2011 11:54 |  #10

7D, 1D Mark IV....totally unsuitable.;)

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 27, 2011 11:55 |  #11

ranger50 wrote in post #11923184 (external link)

I don't think people are saying that as much as they are rightly saying that a full-frame camera such as a 5DMk2 would be better than a crop camera.

If you use a crop camera to shoot weddings and you and your clients are pleased with the results, then you've no need to worry.

David

David

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 27, 2011 12:04 |  #12

Woodworker wrote in post #11923497 (external link)
I don't think people are saying that as much as they are rightly saying that a full-frame camera such as a 5DMk2 would be better than a crop camera.

If you use a crop camera to shoot weddings and you and your clients are pleased with the results, then you've no need to worry.

David

That's exactly it. I don't hear about people saying that a crop camera is unsuitable either, it's just there are other (maybe better in some people's eyes) options. Just like when you hear people say a 5D2 is unsuitable for sports. Can it shoot sports? Yes. Can it do it as well as a 1D or 7D? Probably not.

-Hieu

BestVisuals
763 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2011 12:15 as a reply to  @ hieu1004's post |  #13

Oh EGAD. More hardware snobbery.

Crop cameras are fine. It's the lenses that matter.

I shot weddings for 5 years with a 20D and EOS lenses, had great shots and 30x40 enlargements that are tack sharp.

I bought a 5D MKII after leaving the business. It would've been great to have, but wasn't available when I started.

I prefer FF because if I buy a 24mm lens, I want 24mm but will always choose a better lens than more features on a camera body. Frames per second and video are gimmicks to sell camera bodies. Long focal lengths sell lenses. Kit lenses sell camera bodies so treat them as such.

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 27, 2011 12:20 |  #14

I have to say I have both and there is no one camera to do one thing. My 7D does a beautiful job. The 5D2 is amazing, but not perfect. So, for any type of photography, it's the talent of the shooter that's the key.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

BestVisuals
763 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2011 12:25 |  #15

Absolutely right!

SuzyView wrote in post #11923621 (external link)
I have to say I have both and there is no one camera to do one thing. My 7D does a beautiful job. The 5D2 is amazing, but not perfect. So, for any type of photography, it's the talent of the shooter that's the key.

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

sponsored links

5,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.