Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Feb 2011 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "which one would you pick"
Genesis 400
15.9%
Linchrom D-Lite-4
43.2%
AlienBee
40.9%

44 voters, 44 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help me pick this light

bexi20
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2011 14:25 |  #1

I have Genesis 200 kit and would like upgrade to more light, I'm narrow down to this three. Which one would you pick out of these three? The genesis 200 will be lit the back ground after I buy one of this.
2 Genesis 400
Elinchrom D-Lite-4 IT 400Ws 2-Light To Go Set
2 AlienBee B800

Canon 5D Mark II

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2011 14:38 |  #2

I voted for elinchrom. If you don't need the stands or Portalites, you can sell them and lower your per light cost considerably.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2011 14:44 as a reply to  @ Dave Jr's post |  #3

Might as well go with the Genesis 400. Keeps things uniform, has all the performance of AB's at a lower price and none of the associated PCB drama... ;)

Nobody cares about your gear list...

bexi20
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2011 18:27 as a reply to  @ JayCee Images's post |  #4

I'm leaning toward the Elinchrome.

Canon 5D Mark II

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2011 22:38 |  #5

JayCee Images wrote in post #11930872 (external link)
Might as well go with the Genesis 400. Keeps things uniform, has all the performance of AB's at a lower price and none of the associated PCB drama... ;)

^That.

If you're going to go Elinchrom then spring for the Bx-ri as it has a faster flash duration and you can change power setting remotely. The D-lites really don't offer much over the Genesis strobes in my experience.

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2011 22:49 |  #6

emitecaps wrote in post #11933646 (external link)
The D-lites really don't offer much over the Genesis strobes in my experience.

Yep... except a higher price and the inability to accept the better portion of non Elinchrom modifiers.

If your going Elinchrom, go big... otherwise, I don't think you're going to do better than the Genesis.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 28, 2011 23:00 as a reply to  @ JayCee Images's post |  #7

The D-Lite IT has a built in Skyport trigger. The Genesis doesn't have a built in trigger.

The D-Lite IT has a 5 stop range that is truly 5 stops instead of the Genesis 5 stop range that works out to be more like 4 stops.

The D-Lite IT has accurate 1/10 stop incremental controls. The Genesis has a strange curve and in various spots of the power range 10 clicks doesn't equal 1 stop and can actually only be 7/10 stop.

Also, the Elinchrom strobe can not only make use of the Elinchrom lightboxes but you can also use the deflectors, which prove to be very useful and at times very important. The Genesis does not have a central umbrella shaft and can't accept deflectors. It's definitely something to consider if you're attracted to Elinchrom modifiers.

Nothing earth shattering but it's good to know and may affect your decision depending on how important those things are to you.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

bexi20
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 01, 2011 08:48 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #8

What do you guy think about the new Einstein 640 v2? I think I may go for the Einstein 640 v2.

Canon 5D Mark II

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 01, 2011 08:54 |  #9

bexi20 wrote in post #11935418 (external link)
What do you guy think about the new Einstein 640 v2? I think I may go for the Einstein 640 v2.

From what I've seen and read it seems like it's a very good strobe with tons of functionality, features and great performance.

Robert

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 01, 2011 08:55 |  #10

bexi20 wrote in post #11935418 (external link)

I'm sold on them, but I didn't want to wait, so I went with BXri's.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 01, 2011 09:50 |  #11

I would go with the D-Lite. I am a big fan of the Elinchrom line, when I was looking for new strobes I was really looking for a system I could buy into and grow with and for me the Elinchrom line really fit the bill well.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 01, 2011 10:00 as a reply to  @ Damian75's post |  #12

I agree. Given the choice I would choose Elinchrom but if someone is seriously thinking of buying into the PCB product line then I think Einstein is the way to go.

Robert

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,737 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 01, 2011 10:09 |  #13

I have a Elinchrom 300RX but now that I have some Einsteins I will say I'm kinda suprised how well they work. Using a cybercommander (remote control) you can take a light reading. Then afterwards you can literally dial up and down the power settings adjust your aperture on your camera and take a photo without re measuring the light. I was in shock how well it landed the exposure without re measuring.

Having my photoflex 5 foot octa high up (I'm a short person :) ) you can virtually control everything from the cyber commander. Even though Paul C buff is not so liked by many his product and support seems pretty good.

I dont even have time to really play with strobes to be honest. My kids take up most of my time. However with the limited time I'd use strobes I am seriously suprised how well the Einsteins work. The speedring securing system is OK but I much prefer Elinchrom's. The Einsteins have a minor stupid design in the sense that you have no real method of holding the strobe with a handle present. NO leverage whatsoever so you must hold your modifier/strobe before it droops as you adjust things.

I think as far as remote triggering and control the Einstein/cybercommande​r combo is pretty hard to beat in terms of functionality/price/co​nsistant color.

I'm still waiting for my VML battery packs.

when the pocket wizard PowerMC2 comes out I really want to give that a whirl. A quick 3 light system with the PW AC3 seems to be less difficult to use than the cybercommander but AC3 has limited control compared to cybercommander.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 01, 2011 12:50 |  #14

TMR Design wrote in post #11933747 (external link)
The D-Lite IT has a built in Skyport trigger. The Genesis doesn't have a built in trigger.

The D-Lite IT has a 5 stop range that is truly 5 stops instead of the Genesis 5 stop range that works out to be more like 4 stops.

The D-Lite IT has accurate 1/10 stop incremental controls. The Genesis has a strange curve and in various spots of the power range 10 clicks doesn't equal 1 stop and can actually only be 7/10 stop.

Also, the Elinchrom strobe can not only make use of the Elinchrom lightboxes but you can also use the deflectors, which prove to be very useful and at times very important. The Genesis does not have a central umbrella shaft and can't accept deflectors. It's definitely something to consider if you're attracted to Elinchrom modifiers.

Nothing earth shattering but it's good to know and may affect your decision depending on how important those things are to you.

Another issue with Genesis strobes is the modeling light as it protrudes quite a ways. It can interfere with standard elinchrom reflector/grid sets and you cannot mount a beauty dish unless you remove the modeling light.

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 01, 2011 13:06 |  #15

I sold my Genesis 400's to go with Alien Bees and I'm much happier.

-I like the size of the Alien Bees better. Much easier to transport.
-No solid solution to power two Genesis lights on location with one source.
-My Genesis didn't play well with my Skyport triggers.
-The tilt mechanism on the Genesis sucks. The AB isn't all that, but a vast improvement.
-The wonky power adjustment of the Genesis wasn't fun to figure out.

These probably aren't make or break points, but I'm much more content with the Bees than I was with my Genesis.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
help me pick this light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.