Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which one should I print?

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 01, 2011 19:36 |  #1

Alright, so at some point in the fall I was walking around town and snapped a few shots from inside the front archway of a Cathedral, facing out. I like elements of all of the shots quite a bit, but I didn't like any of them as a whole. Cut to today, when I was bored and decided to take a crack at cutting, pasting, and cloning my way toward a perfect mix of both of the best two shots from the set (actually there were ONLY two shots anyway ;)). I plan on printing ONE of these at 12x18, and would love some input as to which one you all prefer. And, of course, any criticism you care to throw at me! Warning: these three shots are almost completely identical.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Now, here are some crops of the only difference among the three.

1. With waiter walking by with quiche, guy sitting looking more or less forward.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

2. Same shot, with waiter cut out.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Guy looking at his dog instead of forward.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Anyway, thanks for looking at my wall-o-b&w. If you've made it this far and feel like weighing in, please do! For the record, I'm kind of leaning toward number 3.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Bcarpenter93
114 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 01, 2011 19:50 |  #2

1st unless you want the old man being the subject, then 2nd

Robert ­ Zurfluh
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2011 22:42 as a reply to  @ Bcarpenter93's post |  #3

1st

Brings life into the picture

Canon5DRS,Canon7DII,EF16-35L,EF24-70IIL,EF50L,EF100LMacro,EF135L

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2011 22:48 as a reply to  @ Robert Zurfluh's post |  #4

First hands down.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 01, 2011 22:54 |  #5

The first is more visually interesting to me. At 12X18, the quiche man will be more prominent than here in this small size image. First one for me.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

-traedayz-
29 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 02, 2011 01:14 |  #6

#1 for me

The waiter adds to the shot in this case (rare) would look bare without him especially on print.

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2011 04:55 |  #7

Hm... thanks all. Really interesting responses, considering the fact that I went to so much trouble to get rid of the waiter! Of course, as I did it, I started to realize that it might not have been the best idea. Now I'm even more torn than before!

Another question, then... do you all think this picture is actually worth printing?

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

harshgnar
23 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 02, 2011 21:17 |  #8

I personally like the second. I can't even tell that it's a waiter. I think its pretty cool that a guy is just hanging out by himself in what seems to be a very secluded place. I was surprised that everyone went for the first one, but I guess that is what happens with art :P

My Flickr (external link)

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 03, 2011 09:18 |  #9

I like the 1 and 2.

The waiter brings life to the photo.
However without the waiter and just the old man sitting there, the man looks like he is alone..maybe waiting for someone or not waiting , but alone against the world (buildings around him).

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​m (external link)
Add me on Facebook (external link)

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2011 10:51 |  #10

1 and 3, keep the waiter in 1 and the man + dog in 3. tells more of a story.

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 03, 2011 11:29 |  #11

I like the waiter in the photo, just more going on. Just had my first 12x18 print!

sponsored links

912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which one should I print?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.