Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 02 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Automotive Image Editing/Post-Processing: Before and After

realitysays
340 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2012 21:08 |  #1156

Fcuk me. That is rad!

Great work Andrew.

2012 Cams Accredited Motorsport Photographer
Follow Me on Facebook! (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​koryleung/ (external link)
www.koryleungphotograp​hy.com.au (external link) - Motorsports & Automotive Photography

sponsored links
Courterman08
655 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 24, 2012 21:22 |  #1157

Amazing work as usual!

Zach Courter
Flickr (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 24, 2012 21:44 |  #1158

Thanks guys :)

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

Courterman08
655 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 24, 2012 21:59 |  #1159

You know, if you ever have the urge to do a tutorial, I know I'd be willing to send a couple bucks for your time. ;)

I started teaching myself Photoshop over the past couple days. I think I have a decent hand on the basics now.

Before:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i31.photobucket​.com …urterman08/audi​before.jpg (external link)

After:
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8013348013_98eac05176_c.jpg

Zach Courter
Flickr (external link)

Mosephus
774 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2012 22:33 |  #1160

Awesome job! It honesty almost looks like a screen shot out of a video game.

Dallas Pet Photography (external link)

Courterman08
655 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 24, 2012 22:52 |  #1161

Thanks! I still have a LOT to learn. I've spent a lot of time on Andrew's (Visual Echoes) Flickr page scratching my head at how he got his processing to look so natural. Which lead me to my comment. There's really not many automotive post processing tutorials floating around.

Before:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i31.photobucket​.com …terman08/camaro​before.jpg (external link)

After: (went for a grungy movie feel)
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8455/8019934015_8e64545551_c.jpg

Zach Courter
Flickr (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2012 07:25 |  #1162

Thanks for the compliments. I probably shy away from tutorials because I do things in a bit of weird way. I'll be talking with Easton, or Demmitt about this or that, and their approach is so much different, just not sure I want anyone to follow in my footsteps lol.

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2012 08:13 |  #1163

Andrew - innovation sometimes takes a different route. What do you thing the first person who discovered "High Pass" was a way to sharpen images was thinking about the way the did things?

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2012 08:56 |  #1164

Haha, I never use the high-pass method, it beats the image up too much for my taste :)

Courterman08
655 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 25, 2012 09:10 |  #1165

I think what he was trying to say is that innovation comes from someone willing to step out of the norm. ;)

Even if you do things a "weird" way, if it works it works. I'm looking to broaden my processing abilities as much as I can. I know I will never be able to produce the same stuff that you produce. And, to be honest, I don't want to. I have some ideas that I would like to try out by using a technique similar to your's. Not so much "copy" exactly what you've done. Because if everyone copied everyone, things would get boring.

If you don't want to share then I'll gladly respect that.

"Often imitated, never duplicated." :cool:

Zach Courter
Flickr (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2012 10:12 |  #1166

I don't mind sharing. Let me see what I can come up with. Keep in mind that my approach is the way it is because I'm a 100% available light shooter.

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2012 11:18 |  #1167

Courterman08 wrote in post #15039840 (external link)
I think what he was trying to say is that innovation comes from someone willing to step out of the norm. ;)

This!

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2012 12:13 |  #1168

I think the biggest thing I do differently is to try to capture as much as I can with the camera, so where most people might take a single shot, or two, I will often-times take 10 or 15 shots (without moving the camera). This is because I want different polarizations, apertures, and exposures to work with during my post processing. I think a lot of guys just shoot for a good exposure and expect to be able to "fix", or alter various parts of the shot in post. You can do this, of course, but again, it tends to "beat the image up", and I want my images to be clean in their maximum size. A perfect example might be shooting a car with black wheels, like my Exige. If I expose correctly for the car, the wheels are very underexposed. I can recover some of this in RAW, but it'll never be the same as shooting a brighter exposure for that exact purpose.

The other thing I do is always shoot in RAW, which allows me to match the white balance/tint of the first shot with the last, perfectly, regardless of the time in-between. I have heard arguments against this, but it has always worked great for me.

Lastly, I treat each part of a shot, and in fact each section of the shot, independantly. Imagine looking at a picture with a grid on top of it, maybe 20 squares. I will look at each square and ask myself what it needs, what it's missing, and how it fits with the whole. Does it distract? Does it support? Is it the right color? Is it the right _________ <---insert OCD perameter here. lol

No real secret, just time, and trying different things. I wish I had a forumla, as it would save me a LOT of time, but I really don't, I always just look at the shot, and try to listen to what it is telling me, and go from there.

Does that help?

Courterman08
655 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 25, 2012 12:33 |  #1169

Yea, that sort of helps. I like the idea of breaking it up into smaller squares. I think that might help my head grasp the concept a little better. My big issue is trying to get everything to blend together so seamlessly. I'm sure that's just my inexperience in Photoshop, but it frustrates the hell out of me haha.

Zach Courter
Flickr (external link)

Nwt
145 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 25, 2012 12:58 |  #1170

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/8023948391_8f9a88d0ee_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/68761320@N03/8​023948391/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8444/8021455167_8dc0537570_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …homassaunders/8​021455167/  (external link)

sponsored links

720,685 views & 89 likes for this thread
Automotive Image Editing/Post-Processing: Before and After
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.