Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 00:13 |  #31

wombatHorror wrote in post #12894990 (external link)
so the new ones don't smack the mirror on the 5D2 (one of your links still mentions that it does if you focus past a certain distance without using liveview, so is this some new version that avoids that?)

That is correct, the window was tight but with some part revision and lots of testing I found I could get perfect infinity focus exactly at the focus stop mark which speeds up usage since you know if the subject is far away just twist the focus till it stops and shoot. My earlier prototypes instead tried to exceed infinity by a safe margin. If for some reason lens variation in the field shifts this mark, up to 4 levels of 0.0825mm datum shims can be removed by the user to bring infinity back and 5D mirror strike is prevented even with one of the shim levels removed. I should find that link and correct that outdated info, do you recall where you saw it? thanks-Ed

sponsored links
gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 15:09 |  #32

I can't believe I hadn't found this thread sooner!

Just one quick question, since I don't know much about the old Canon mounts. I see that there are multiple versions of the 55 f/1.2 on KEH right now (FL, FD, FD SSC). Does this mod kit work for any of them? What about the 58mm f/1.2 that's on there now?

Thanks--

Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 15:15 |  #33

gmikol wrote in post #12898332 (external link)
I can't believe I hadn't found this thread sooner!

Just one quick question, since I don't know much about the old Canon mounts. I see that there are multiple versions of the 55 f/1.2 on KEH right now (FL, FD, FD SSC). Does this mod kit work for any of them? What about the 58mm f/1.2 that's on there now?

Thanks--

Greg

This only works on the FL mount 55 1.2. The FL 58 has different screw locations and the FD 55 1.2 SSC has a completely different mount. Over time based on interest I may develop DIY kits for more lenses but I picked the FL 55 1.2 because it is low cost, readily available, beautiful to hold and shoot with and the fact I that I happened to have one myself (I really have 3 but a local pro shooter is beta testing one of them on his 5D and implied he won't want to give it back and my father-in-law took the other).
ETA: the 3 available lenses on KEH are FL 55 1.2's, the 58 the listing refers to is the thread diameter, not the older FL 58 1.2 lens. http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA060104007110?r=FE (external link). BTW, I've bought plenty of "bargain grade" lenses from KEH and have been impressed with how good they are every single time.
cheers-Ed Mika

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 08, 2011 15:25 |  #34

ontarian wrote in post #12895048 (external link)
That is correct, the window was tight but with some part revision and lots of testing I found I could get perfect infinity focus exactly at the focus stop mark which speeds up usage since you know if the subject is far away just twist the focus till it stops and shoot. My earlier prototypes instead tried to exceed infinity by a safe margin. If for some reason lens variation in the field shifts this mark, up to 4 levels of 0.0825mm datum shims can be removed by the user to bring infinity back and 5D mirror strike is prevented even with one of the shim levels removed. I should find that link and correct that outdated info, do you recall where you saw it? thanks-Ed

thanks

one of your posts (or maybe it was on the ebay link?) had a link which then had a link to this info about not working in the 5D other then etc. etc. I don't recall off-hand the link exactly

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 15:40 |  #35

ontarian wrote in post #12898376 (external link)
ETA: the 3 available lenses on KEH are FL 55 1.2's, the 58 the listing refers to is the thread diameter, not the older FL 58 1.2 lens. http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA060104007110?r=FE (external link). BTW, I've bought plenty of "bargain grade" lenses from KEH and have been impressed with how good they are every single time.
cheers-Ed Mika

Well, there is a 58 f/1.2 on KEH right now:
http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA069990083360?r=FE (external link)

But I guess that's moot, since you say the adapter won't work.

Thanks for the info!

--Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 15:44 |  #36

gmikol wrote in post #12898516 (external link)
Well, there is a 58 f/1.2 on KEH right now:
http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA069990083360?r=FE (external link)

But I guess that's moot, since you say the adapter won't work.

Thanks for the info!

--Greg

There are 3 FL55 1.2s on KEH as well. http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA060104007110?r=FE (external link)

Also here is one of many on ebay http://www.ebay.ca …2eb4526214#ht_8​339wt_1339 (external link)

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 08, 2011 23:41 |  #37

Is there an image gallery of photos taken with the converted FL 55mm f/1.2 on an EOS DSLR? Just wondering what to expect from this conversion in terms of sharpness and bokeh, since I've never shot with any FL lens before.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 23:54 |  #38

shaftmaster wrote in post #12901591 (external link)
Is there an image gallery of photos taken with the converted FL 55mm f/1.2 on an EOS DSLR? Just wondering what to expect from this conversion in terms of sharpness and bokeh, since I've never shot with any FL lens before.

Pics in this flickr set were mostly taken with the FL 55 1.2, more often than not wide open.
http://www.flickr.com …n/sets/72157627​274495558/ (external link)

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2011 14:51 |  #39

Well, I've got my 55/1.2, but I haven't bought the adapter, yet.

I'm concerned about the mirror interference issue on the 5D, as I considering an upgrade from my T2i to a 5D3 whenever it comes out. Is there any fix that can be made to the adapter to resolve this issue, or will this persist as long as Canon is using that style of mirror frame?

At least is should work on my 1V.

--Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 14:57 |  #40

gmikol wrote in post #12998837 (external link)
Well, I've got my 55/1.2, but I haven't bought the adapter, yet.

I'm concerned about the mirror interference issue on the 5D, as I considering an upgrade from my T2i to a 5D3 whenever it comes out. Is there any fix that can be made to the adapter to resolve this issue, or will this persist as long as Canon is using that style of mirror frame?

At least is should work on my 1V.

--Greg

Nothing I can do will make the FL 55 1.2 lens focus to infinity without hitting the mirror on a 5D or 5D2. It clears the EOS3, 1D3-s and 1D4 mirrors because of their different swing pattern and lower profile metal rather than plastic framing. I did manage to get infinity focus on a 5D2 without mirror hit but it was by adding up 10 shims on top and none on the bottom turning into a permanently tilt-shifted lens and infinity was only reachable at the top of the frame. Fingers crossed that the 5D3 Canon Engineers are "real" camera geeks like us and realize that the 5D series is the go to camera for the type of gear heads that would care to play with the vintage glass and make a mirror profile that would better accommodate us.

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2011 15:28 |  #41

Thanks for the clarification, Ed. I was really hoping you would say that you can just shave down a flange or some such thing, but I guess not. I would guess that the difference in mirror construction might be related to the difference in frame-rate, perhaps?

--Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 15:35 |  #42

gmikol wrote in post #12999106 (external link)
Thanks for the clarification, Ed. I was really hoping you would say that you can just shave down a flange or some such thing, but I guess not. I would guess that the difference in mirror construction might be related to the difference in frame-rate, perhaps?

--Greg

No, cheapness. The 1D mirror frame is a strong light low profile design, the 5D a low cost plastic job. Now you could shave the 5D mirror, probably dramatically less than is done on many posted how to tutorials online since the interference is not as big as with other manual lenses. TBH I don't know why someone has not yet come out with an aftermarket 5D mirror mod kit that could be swapped in and out with the original for those not brave enough to grind away at their gear.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 25, 2011 17:23 |  #43

ontarian wrote in post #12998882 (external link)
Nothing I can do will make the FL 55 1.2 lens focus to infinity without hitting the mirror on a 5D or 5D2. It clears the EOS3, 1D3-s and 1D4 mirrors because of their different swing pattern and lower profile metal rather than plastic framing. I did manage to get infinity focus on a 5D2 without mirror hit but it was by adding up 10 shims on top and none on the bottom turning into a permanently tilt-shifted lens and infinity was only reachable at the top of the frame. Fingers crossed that the 5D3 Canon Engineers are "real" camera geeks like us and realize that the 5D series is the go to camera for the type of gear heads that would care to play with the vintage glass and make a mirror profile that would better accommodate us.

never going to happen.

for the same reasons a 135/ 1M coupe, will NEVER be faster than the 335 and M3...
the 135i comes with 215 section FRONT tires..... how do YOU spell understeer?

just as canon engineers purposely made it impossible to mount an EFS lens(with in reason)

and yet... nikon and sony... can do it all day long...

god even sony has a decent kit zoom out now.... their new 16-50mm F2.8 DT SSM... almost makes me wanna get the A77.....

almost.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

gmikol
272 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2011 14:27 |  #44

Just got my 55mm converter this morning and did the conversion. Big thanks to Ed for designing this!

The conversion is really easy, but watch out for the tiny ball bearing...seriously.

One thing I noticed is that there is no focus confirm in Live View. This is not a failing of the adapter, my EF 24-70 doesn't light the box green in MF mode, either.

--Greg

ontarian
34 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 01, 2011 14:32 |  #45

gmikol wrote in post #13036673 (external link)
Just got my 55mm converter this morning and did the conversion. Big thanks to Ed for designing this!

The conversion is really easy, but watch out for the tiny ball bearing...seriously.

One thing I noticed is that there is no focus confirm in Live View. This is not a failing of the adapter, my EF 24-70 doesn't light the box green in MF mode, either.

--Greg

If you want it to act as if the switch is set to auto on the lens then get the chip into programming mode (M-mode, 13" shutter, AI Focus, initiate shutter within 2 seconds of attaching lens to body) then switch to Av mode, dial to 9.0 and initiate the shutter. Done, you are now emulating an autofocus lens set on auto, keep in mind in some modes it will not allow a shot to be taken unless it gets a target lock which is why I now send all the adapters out with the emulated focus switch set to manual. Glad you like it Greg, cheers-Ed

sponsored links

19,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glassless infinity-focus FD-EOS converter for 600 and 800mm FD lenses now available.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.