Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Mar 2011 (Friday) 23:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

35L Front Focusing

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2011 23:42 |  #1

My 35L is front focusing when I used the focus point all the way on the right of my 5DII. is that the 35L's issue or my body? It hunts when I use that focusing point and takes forever to lock on sometimes. When it does lock on, it'll front focus. The middle focusing point is spot on though.

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links
KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 04, 2011 23:53 |  #2

I think it's the body, have you tried to MA it?

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

JonSC
686 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 05, 2011 00:41 |  #3

May be because the outer points are not as sensitive and accurate as the cross type center point?

5D II
| 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | Sigma 35 f/1.4A | 50 f/1.4 | 580 EX II | 1.4x T.C.

Full Gear List

raksphoto
508 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 05, 2011 00:45 |  #4

danny819 wrote in post #11958975 (external link)
My 35L is front focusing when I used the focus point all the way on the right of my 5DII. is that the 35L's issue or my body? It hunts when I use that focusing point and takes forever to lock on sometimes. When it does lock on, it'll front focus. The middle focusing point is spot on though.

I use the 35mm f/1.4L for belly dance club work on the 7D, and sometimes on the 1D Mark III. This is generally low-light photography. I work in M mode, and use selective AF, programming the focus point with the multi-controller to place a focus square directly over the belly dancer in the frame. I do this dynamically, in realtime, during a show.

I've never had any of the problems you are describing. I can use any focus point on either camera, and get a fast, accurate result. Both the multi-point diamond on the 7D, and the ellipsoid on the 1D Mark III work well.

Now, each of these camera system is using less of the lens than the case for your 5D Mark II ... as the 7D has a 1.6X FoVCF, and the 1D Mark III has 1.3X FoVCF. Now, this got me to thinking. Could it be you have some vignetting going on for the right-most focus point? Could a bit less light at the edge maybe tripping up the AF sensors on the 5D?

Hope you can resolve this ...

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2011 00:53 |  #5

its bc the outer points on a 5d are useless and the 5d AF system sucks... anytime i use the outer points i would hit the af button and have it confirm several times b4 actually taking the pic. i think my buddies t2i can focus better than my 5d2

i hope they do something with the AF on the new one.

Stan ­ Jones ­ Photography
613 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 05, 2011 01:15 |  #6

Mine was sharp but I DO recall a few front focusing issues, it's a common thing i think!

Your local, young, friendly, heavily-tattooed wedding/senior/portrai​t photographer... if you're from Lincoln, NE. ;)5Dii | 5D | 1Dii | 24-70/2.8L | 50/1.4 | 70-200/2.8ii (APO DG)
www.StanJonesPhoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - facebook (external link) - Full Gear List

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2011 01:19 |  #7

I normally use the center focus point. It is very fast and accurate. Do you guys think using the rear focus button could affect the outer focusing points' accuracy? I recently got in the habit to use the rear focusing button instead, but it still works great like the front one. Perhaps I can try my other lenses at the focus point that is having issues with my 35L. Unfortunately, I only have the 35L with me right now. The only drawback about this test with other lenses is that they are at different focal lengths. That might make a difference.

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links

1,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
35L Front Focusing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.