Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Crop lenses work on APS-H: compatabilty thread

Supersignet
504 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2011 19:52 |  #1

There are a lot of us out there with 1D Mk XX and are often torn between which lens to pick up. Most lenses are either designed for crop APS-C (1.6x on Canon) or Full frame. The 1.3 crop factor of the 1D can sometimes make choosing lenses a bit of a conundrum.

I hope we can get a thread going where all the good folks who have a 1D can maybe try to put a lens designed for APS-C on their 1D and check if it works.

Please post pictures of your APS-C lens on APS-H sensor results along with your thoughts of how the combination would work together.

I don't think I need to say this, but don't put EF-S lenses on your 1D. This thread is mainly for third party lenses.

Thanks

Canon 5Dii, Sigma 24mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX Macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 135 f2L, Zenitar 16mm f2.8 fish eye (on the way)
A pile of ocf gear and modifiers.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/mike.s.gibson (external link)

sponsored links
Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2011 20:40 |  #2

The EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 is easily modified to fit onto the 1D bodies. You just have to pull out the rear baffle, and then it works from about 12mm on up to 22mm.

You can use the rear cover of the EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 or the EF 35mm f2 lenses to cover up the inner workings of the 10-22.

Username Sydor25 has plenty of images in the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens sample image thread taken with the 10-22 on his 1D Mark III.

Here is a video showing how easy the modification is:

http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com …-ef-s-to-ef-conversion-2/ (external link)

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

andywrightphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Dec 02, 2015 12:22 |  #3

All non-S series lenses work and they work great.

I've shot the 1D series bodies since 2005 and never encountered any problem with all the Canon L lenses.

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 04, 2015 00:03 |  #4

Well, EF-S lenses won't mount to the body without modifying the lens a bit and they run the risk of being struck by the mirror. Third party lenses usually use an EF mount so they will mount but if they are designed for the smaller APS-C sensor they may not have enough coverage to avoid dark corners.

I tried several on my 1D and found that only the UWA zooms really covered the sensor and only at the mid to tele end of their range. My Tokina 11-16 was usable on APS-H from 13 to 16 IIRC. The 50-135 however didn't fully cover the sensor at any zoom setting.

So basically I was using regular EF lenses plus some UWA third party crop sensor lenses.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 04, 2015 07:54 |  #5

the Sigma 10-20 works well on the APS-H. I had one with my 1DII years ago and if you dont use the hood you only get slight vignetting at 10mm from what I recall

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 04, 2015 08:08 |  #6

Zombie thread revived after 4 years.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 04, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ DGStinner's post |  #7

Nooooo! So I missed the chance to point out the zombie-ness and instead gave a serious answer. Agh!

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2015 17:54 |  #8

andywrightphoto wrote in post #17804700 (external link)
All non-S series lenses work and they work great.

I've shot the 1D series bodies since 2005 and never encountered any problem with all the Canon L lenses.

Well, yes, Andy, of course they do.
But the OP's question wasn't about non-S lenses, it was ONLY about the EF-S series lenses (and possibly third party lenses made for crop sensor bodies).

DGStinner wrote in post #17806888 (external link)
Zombie thread revived after 4 years.

Is there any problem with that? The older threads still provide lots of valuable, pertinent information, and there is still a lot to be gained by posting to them and thereby reviving them.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

3,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Crop lenses work on APS-H: compatabilty thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.