Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there pink in this sky?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2011 23:40 |  #1

I took this picture on my first outing after getting my DSLR, last March. I took about a dozen similar shots and I've looked at them many times since then. Tonight as I was looking for a particular shot, I happened to notice that there is a lot of pink in the sky. I've never seen that before, and because I've been playing with new calibration software, I wonder if the pink is really there in the image or if my screen is a little out of whack now.
So, is the pink really there? (By the way, this is a straight convert-to-jpg from RAW with no PP.)
Thanks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
sssc
567 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 06, 2011 00:06 |  #2

I don't see any pink.

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

AtSea
197 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2011 01:17 |  #3

Hmm, not sure I see what you mean exactly either

danielmedini.com (external link)
http://facebook.com/da​nielmediniphoto (external link)
5D III + 16-35 F4 + 24-70 II + 70-200 F4

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2011 01:19 as a reply to  @ AtSea's post |  #4

In extreme overexposures (total blow out) you will sometimes see pink patches appear.

Your sky here is a good candidate for such an occurrence.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 06, 2011 01:20 |  #5

Yea I see pastel pink in parts.

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 06, 2011 02:04 |  #6

Your sky is not pink. Most of it is completely blown in all three channels. The rest of it is pretty much bang on white or very, very light grey. Odd bits do have a blue bias. Some areas may have a slight red bias, but I think this is perhaps due to picking up twigs that are barely visible and yet which taint the image, or maybe there is a little CA around the twigs and branches. Lastly there could be a bit of an optical illusion where the eye is inventing complementary colours.

One way to check - use the colour sampler/dropper and look at pixel values. Another way - drop the exposure and boost saturation and see what pops out. Here's how it looks with exposure at -2, recovery at 74 and saturation at 100. I would say that you do not have a pink sky. If it looks pink to you then your monitor is off or your eyes are deceiving you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 06, 2011 04:44 |  #7

The sky is blown out. You should see it as pure white.

HOSTED PHOTO

Elie / אלי

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,068 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2011 07:34 |  #8

This is just a blown out sky and tons of chromatic abberation.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 06, 2011 07:49 |  #9

Which camera and raw conversion software are you using that is giving you pink blown out areas? This can happen when the raw saturation level in the raw conversion process is incorrect.

Kirk

Kirk
---

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2011 08:16 |  #10

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #11965659 (external link)
This is just a blown out sky and tons of chromatic abberation.

^^^This.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 06, 2011 10:53 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #11

It's not the RAW converter because I see it in the RAW thumbnails. It's the most visible when DPP is in the process of generating a high quality image, when the image is fuzzy. It looks like tdodd's image

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
only not quite that extreme. It's strongest around the branches.

Using the info tool, I don't see any color cast at all. Wouldn't chromatic aberration cause an actual color cast?

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2011 11:56 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #12

Yeah, you often see chromatic aberration or fringing when you shoot a hard dark edge (tree branches) against a blown out white sky. Better lenses are more able to suppress this phenom. I use a Photoshop plugin filter called PTLens which helps, in many cases, to suppress CA, but I understand that PS cS5 and LR3 can do the job equally well.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 06, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #13

Well that makes sense but, again, if it comes from the lens, seems like it would be part of the image, which means that the info tool should show the color, instead of showing 255,255,255.????

Pretty impressive filter!

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,068 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2011 12:06 |  #14

Chromatic aberration is not a colour cast but are ugly colour fringes (often purple, but also cyan, red, green or yellow) where there is a strong contrast between dark and light. In this image with those thin twigs and that totally blown out sky, the CA is so thick that it is not limited to the edges of the branches and twigs but many of the twigs and branches coming in contact with that sky have turned purple and cyan altogether.

PS: Good glass helps reduce CA, but you still get it...

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2011 14:17 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #15

If you want to experiment with it, a good way to induce CA is to shoot from within a dim parking garage structure out to an exceedingly bright and overcast sky.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

sponsored links

2,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there pink in this sky?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.