Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 01:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro was dead to me till I saw this!!!!

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 01:34 |  #1

I am a gear junkie and when I saw what a 100mm canon macro could do I was sold, after owning one and shooting alot in the first month I started to not like it, I always has too much dof and almost every shot was blury!, I can get very nice pics of flowers and other non living or should I say mobile things, as soon as I see a bug they run,fly or walk away..

So it sits with my other gear unused.

BUT today I see this!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com …eature=feedrec_​grec_index (external link)

F22 !!!!! at 250!!!!!!!!!! WOW

My question is this, will a ring light make macro easy and fun?

Will it let me get more DOF and sharp shots of bugs?

If so what ring flash is good?

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 06, 2011 01:39 |  #2

Have you not been using any flash? Most macro photography almost requires flash. I would use some kind of flash + diffuser, ring flash is hardly necessary.

F22 is a bit excessive to me, but whatever floats your boat.

You also know that the 7D has a special servo mode that kicks in when it detects you are using a Canon USM macro lens right?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 01:52 |  #3

themadman wrote in post #11964896 (external link)
Have you not been using any flash? Most macro photography almost requires flash. I would use some kind of flash + diffuser, ring flash is hardly necessary.

F22 is a bit excessive to me, but whatever floats your boat.

You also know that the 7D has a special servo mode that kicks in when it detects you are using a Canon USM macro lens right?

I have a 430ex but never used it.....

Never mounted my 100mm on my 7d as I was bored of macro at the time,also I bought the 7D in winter so my world was snow.

Will the 430 be anything like a ring flash?

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 06, 2011 01:58 |  #4

Oh man you have lots to explore. 430ex is what I use, natural light or the 580ex. You either like macro or you don't. f/8 to f/13 is where I like to be.

bokchoi
167 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2011 02:00 |  #5

A flash is almost a necessity for most macro photography, especially for anything higher than 1:2 magnification.

Like the poster above, I also find f/22 a bit excessive; while you get more DOF, optical diffraction starts to become apparent, and more post-processing will be needed to make your images sharp again. I typically shoot at about f/11, which I've found to be the sweet spot for sharpness in the macro lenses I've used. Instead of aiming for maximum depth of field, I usually like to leave the lens in manual focus and just worry about getting the eyes in focus by moving the camera back and forth.

A ring light, or any flash at all will almost certainly help you get more shots of bugs, but it won't necessarily make macro any easier; I still find Macro to be one of the most challenging types of photography and it requires a lot of patience, steady hands, and technical skill. You'll find that a lot of people here don't even use a ring light; I personally use a 430EX positioned at an angle with an off-camera cord for most of my lighting needs, and other members have had great results wish similar setups.

As for whether it is fun, that's for you to decide; I think crawling on my stomach on a gravel beach and scraping up my arms to sneak up on a single dragonfly is fun, but that's just me. :)

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 02:10 |  #6

I am in the "show me your rig" thread and I am such a moron!

I have everything I need to set up my camera to do this right and I just never did it.

I can even pose a humming bird .

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 02:14 |  #7

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i211.photobucke​t.com …ayneyasinski/IM​G_8273.jpg (external link)

agiaco
917 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 06, 2011 17:38 |  #8

shayneyasinski wrote in post #11964987 (external link)
I am in the "show me your rig" thread and I am such a moron!

I have everything I need to set up my camera to do this right and I just never did it.

I can even pose a humming bird .

It's a great thread that will really teach you about what an ideal macro setup looks like. Natural light shots are obviously more difficult and tripod is pretty much a must. Your flash will work fine with the setup, just see if you can explore some bracket and diffuser setups that make for good photographs :)

Anthony
flickr (external link)

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 19:56 |  #9

I built up a frankenstien bracket with my 5d and 430 , I can now hand hold at f7.1 to 22 and get very nice results, I will work on a better bracket for the flash and wait till bug season starts!!

thanks for the help.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 06, 2011 23:48 |  #10

Glad you are enjoying macro again! =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 08, 2011 06:19 |  #11

Did your little hummer stay in Canada for the winter? They do make pretty good pets, but they need room to fly, and the right food, which is spiders and nectar. Kind of cool if he has decided to become tame. In the wild, they live 4 years, but they can live up to 13 years if tame. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2011 12:46 |  #12

canonloader wrote in post #11978983 (external link)
Did your little hummer stay in Canada for the winter? They do make pretty good pets, but they need room to fly, and the right food, which is spiders and nectar. Kind of cool if he has decided to become tame. In the wild, they live 4 years, but they can live up to 13 years if tame. :)

About 6 to 15 a year come to me and sit and play, I always put them on a feeder then run and hide so they go away.

I hope to get some really good shots this year.

My grandfather, his daughter (my mom) and I all can call birds and they will fly to us and sit, Both mom and grandpa have passed and I am not as good as they were but I still get alot of hummingbirds.

rg6guy
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 10, 2011 21:51 as a reply to  @ shayneyasinski's post |  #13

neat pic!!

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2011 19:04 |  #14

Never mind the picture...a little blurry...being able to call birds to you like that is bloody awesome.

Make sure you build yourself a diffuser for the 430Ex. It makes such a huge difference in the image quality. If I could offer you only one tip on macro photography, diffusing your flash would be it.

CheerS!

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

engrmariano
793 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 23, 2011 19:39 |  #15

personally, i dont like dark backgrounds...

The Filipino is worth dying for -> Ninoy (Nov. 27, '32 - Aug. 21, '83)
I'm ready to defend the 3 stars & the sun -> Francis M. (Oct 4, '64 – Mar 6, '09)

fLickr (external link)
geavity (external link)

sponsored links

4,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro was dead to me till I saw this!!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.