Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Loud Shutter on 1D bodies

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 06, 2011 10:49 |  #1

Do any of you shooting 1D bodies find the shutter too loud for quiet Church Ceremonies? Maybe it doesn't sound as bad from far away but sometimes I feel the shutter is super loud during the ceremony LOL. I'm just waiting for the Priest, Pastor or whatever to say out loud "what in the world is that noise" lol.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
tony ­ rage
692 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2011 12:24 |  #2

Its a bit loud.... but I still shoot away

5Dc * 1DMkII * 40D * 24-70 2.8 * 85 1.8 * and more!

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2011 12:27 |  #3

Don't worry about it and dont' overthink it. they will know after the first click that it is a camera and will be too busy doing what they do to worry about it. Don't YOU worry it, it is what it is. I have a 1Ds and have never had an issue, and yes, it is loud.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2011 13:03 |  #4

I also wouldn't worry about it. I had a guest complain about my 40D once at a ceremony. Didn't stop me from snapping away. I stay in the back of churches so it's his fault for showing up late and sitting in the back row where the photographers and videographers had clearly set up their stuff. Plus most people expect it.

If you have a quieter camera and feel comfortable using that instead go ahead, but otherwise don't worry and shoot away!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 06, 2011 16:08 |  #5

They love the shutter sound. It sounds so .. professional. Bahahah.

I don't photo bomb. And have it on single. I shoot when the moment is right. No need to go railgun on them .. yet.

angusporter.com (external link)

C.Michael
754 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 06, 2011 16:10 |  #6

Eh, it has nothing on the sound of a Rebel. It sounds like there is a small banshee in my shutter.

www.christophermorriso​n.com.au (external link)
Canon 5D Classic w/ grip | 50mm f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 430EX II + YN460II

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2011 16:55 |  #7

C.Michael wrote in post #11968217 (external link)
Eh, it has nothing on the sound of a Rebel. It sounds like there is a small banshee in my shutter.

Haha! I used to call my 40D shutter a Gorilla. "Don't worry, it's just a small gorilla banging around in camera."

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

patrickpkt
53 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 06, 2011 19:36 |  #8

Is there still a custom function to reduce the mirror slap noise (there was on the 1D2)? From what I recall, it would hold the mirror up until you released the shutter button, effectively making it a somewhat longer, but quieter noise.

7D, Tamron 150-600, Sigma 30, 12-24, 24-70, 70-200, Canon 85/1.8

tim
Light Bringer
50,975 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 07, 2011 02:45 |  #9

The D700's pretty damn loud, louder than what I remember of the 1D3. No-one has ever said anything.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2011 08:01 |  #10

Set camera mode to "S" and the shutter noise is reduced.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 07, 2011 09:01 |  #11

jcolman wrote in post #11972150 (external link)
Set camera mode to "S" and the shutter noise is reduced.

LOL, good call. I've had a 1DIII and now a IDIV and have never used that setting and even forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder. Feels weird using it though LOL. Sounds like shutter is broken haha.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,562 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2011 00:20 |  #12

I find S more obtrusive than normal. The regular shutter is one super quick "SNAP!" sound. It's not bad at all! S is long and drawn out. Regular mode is fine... especially when I remember the sound of my 20D. These 1-series sounds are nothing! I remember back in the day, reaching the end of the roll of film and that causes the auto rewind function to kick in. So it's the middle of the ceremony and all of a sudden my film motor is loudly buzzing away for 30 solid seconds! So a few snaps here and there are nothing to really worry about.

If you're really anal about it, shoot in live view.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tombramwell
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 08, 2011 07:23 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #13

The shutter on my new 5d is much louder than my 40d, more squeezy in a kind of weirde way as well. Im not too worried though, its better than the fake shutter sound on iphones/ smart phones.. i normally here that going off all day from guests! haha

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.
www.tombramwell.co.uk (external link) | blog (external link)

studiodalabama
115 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 08, 2011 14:18 |  #14

Funny how things have changed. You should have heard what it was like in the film days when there were no hypersonic motor lenses, you had the mirror slap noise, the film advance noise, and hopefully you didn't need to rewind and change film!

I shoot with a 1D and 5D and it is not really a problem. I have people tell me all the time that they had no idea I was even there.

Birmingham Alabama architectural and interiors photographer (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 6D, Canon 24mm TS-E, Canon 17mm TS-E, Canon 50mm TS-E, Canon 90mm TSE
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Loud Shutter on 1D bodies
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.