Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just bought a CANON printer-do they suck!

PNPhotography
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2011 15:26 |  #1

I've been reading alot of reviews on all in one printers and finally bought a Canon PIXMA MX882 printer.Some poo-poo it but others say it's great.I basically wanted a copier/scanner/fax/pri​nter.All these type of printers seem to eat ink and most complaints are directed to that issue.What says you?? I hope I don't want to destroy it after while.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 06, 2011 15:41 |  #2

canon rookie wrote in post #11967945 (external link)
...All these type of printers seem to eat ink and most complaints are directed to that issue...

Why do you think the printers are so cheap; they make the moeny of the expendables!

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2011 15:48 |  #3

bcd01 wrote in post #11968034 (external link)
Why do you think the printers are so cheap; they make the moeny of the expendables!

You are correct.

Some are even free :) For example, sometimes Apple offers free printers when one buys a Mac, and so a lot of other companies. Printer manufacturers make most of the money by selling inks for their printers.

7D, 5DII

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2011 15:57 |  #4

Well I do have a HP deskjet 842 so I'm well aware of the ink/price issue.I guess HOW the thing works that I was hoping for some comments on.
Thanks

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2011 17:31 |  #5

If you're wanting to print photos I suggest getting a canon pixma 9000 printer. They can be had for under $200 because they come as bundles with cameras sometimes. If you want generic ink, swiftink.com sometimes has two for one sales, but the usual disclaimers for generics apply.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2011 10:01 |  #6

I've been reading alot of reviews on all in one printers and finally bought a Canon PIXMA MX882 printer.Some poo-poo it but others say it's great.I basically wanted a copier/scanner/fax/pri​nter...

Well, if you wanted just a cheap home office device, you got what you wished for. Of course, each component of it is a poorer performing compromise as compared with buying individual components.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 07, 2011 12:49 |  #7

I've been reading alot of reviews on all in one printers and finally bought a Canon PIXMA MX882 printer.Some poo-poo it but others say it's great.I basically wanted a copier/scanner/fax/pri​nter.All these type of printers seem to eat ink and most complaints are directed to that issue.What says you?? I hope I don't want to destroy it after while.

I have no experience with your particular printer, but as a general matter, my view is that one printer that can do all those functions adequately cannot do any one of them really well. In other words, your Pixma is nice for all that it can do, but don't expect it to produce huge images that you can mount in an art gallery.

I believe that knowing how to use the printer properly, which papers to use, and having a calibrated monitor help a great deal. I have an Epson R1900, which is a fantastic printer, but it took me some time to learn how to use ICC profiles, color manage the printer, etc. If you want the best looking prints, it's worth your time to learn these things.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

irispatch
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2011 13:13 |  #8

I have an older version, MX480 hopefully things have improved. Mine prints documents paper well, scans and copies well enough for my basic needs but forget photographs, they come out striped. That is why I have a pro9000 just for photographs.

Canon 50D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 20-35mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS and Kenko 1.4 TC :lol:
Gitzo G2228 with a Markins Q3, and assorted gadgets. :)
The Iris Patch

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 01, 2011 21:03 |  #9

Get a good continuous ink system (external link), like the RIHAC (external link) ones. I mostly print documents, with the odd album preview on plain paper, the results look good and the ink costs 90% less than OEM.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jimmyt
707 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 29, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

I return HP office jet pro 8500 plus to costco, problem with photo print and papper jamp when I print double side or scan double side, also ink refill 940 not available at costco. I Picked up my first Canon Pixma MX882, why choose this printer,because costco has refill 225 and 226 ink.
I take it home and try it, I use at wireless printer, the print slower than HP,but photo quality print a lot better than HP. I know HP design for office use and focust on document, not photo.
I am thinking about which way is cheaper " Print photo from Canon printer or take photo out to store and print.
I would like to know how many photo picture you can print on 1 full set ink come with canon?
How much does it cost for full set oem ink replace?
is ink refill at costco good for photo picture or just for document?
any one use ink refill at costco fo photo picutre?
so far I like this printer because they do both office and photo.
I has been use continous ink system before, if you not print for few days the ink will dry and clog your print head.
I just need some advise from user.

Gear List

morningcalm
30 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 29, 2011 12:25 |  #11

woos wrote in post #11968679 (external link)
If you're wanting to print photos I suggest getting a canon pixma 9000 printer. They can be had for under $200 because they come as bundles with cameras sometimes. If you want generic ink, swiftink.com sometimes has two for one sales, but the usual disclaimers for generics apply.

I don't believe in ALL-IN-ONE printers and hoping to expect spectacular results for everything. If you want to print photos, you need a dedicated photo printer.

I just got mine (Pro 9K mkII) from Craigslist, brand new - unopened, for $150..I've seen some for less. There are big rebates for people that but a DSLR and the Pro 9K. Alot of people don't want the printer and sell it..and it is an awesome printer.

SX230HS, A590, SD750, D700

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 29, 2011 12:29 |  #12

Pretty much all MFC's suck.

Gear List

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 29, 2011 21:29 |  #13

woos wrote in post #11968679 (external link)

I strongly reject this suggestion. I've done it exactly once, and the results were terrible - all color prints came out with an ugly purple cast. Instead of saving some money, I had to throw them away and buy the genuine article anyway. I don't have an expensive printer (Canon i860), but it's always done photos very nicely, and did again as soon as I changed those lousy cartridges.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2011 22:51 |  #14

Preeb wrote in post #13618164 (external link)
I strongly reject this suggestion. I've done it exactly once, and the results were terrible - all color prints came out with an ugly purple cast.

Just because you bought from a bad supplier does not mean all generic ink is bad. Lots of printing shops are getting into the biz of refilling carts and more people are happy with generic then those who aren't.

April 2007 review[14] (external link) showed that, in a double-blind (external link) test, reviewers generally preferred the output produced using third-party ink over OEM ink.

An anti-trust (external link) class-action lawsuit was launched in the US against HP and office supply chain Staples Inc. (external link), alleging that HP paid Staples $100 million to keep inexpensive third-party ink cartridges off the shelves.[23] (external link)[24] (external link)

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …-party_ink_and_cartridg​es (external link)

Yep the Generic Ink in Staples was so bad HP paid 100 million to protect it's customers from that junk. :lol:

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 30, 2011 05:45 |  #15

If you're using third party inks, you'll probably also need to use third party .icc profiles though…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

10,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just bought a CANON printer-do they suck!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.