Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about flash gels and continuous lighting.

Salma
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 06, 2011 19:22 |  #1

Hey guys, quick question.

I'm pretty much a noob to studio work and I found that my background looked pretty off just white/grey. I could've easily adjusted colours in PS but I wanted to try gels. I've done this previously but the flash was a cheap one and it wasn't continuous and broke :(

Since I don't have anything to trigger flashes I want to get a continuous lamp and flash gels.

Does continuous lighting work well with flash gels and a backdrop.

Please excuse my ignorance if i'm asking a silly question. I just wanted an opinion and made this thread to see what is the prefered option.

Thankyou :o

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 06, 2011 19:30 |  #2

Salma wrote in post #11969168 (external link)
Does continuous lighting work well with flash gels...?

Most continuous lighting that's suitable for photography is HOT and will quickly melt colored gels that work just fine with flash lighting sources. Even the modeling lights in studio flash equipment can melt the gels.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 06, 2011 19:32 |  #3

Oh gosh.

Can I trigger a studio flash with my 580ex?

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 06, 2011 19:56 |  #4

Salma wrote in post #11969237 (external link)

Most studio flash units that I've seen have optical slaves in them.

If you use your Speedlite in ETTL mode, the pre-flash will trigger the studio flash at the wrong time.

If you used an adapter on the studio flash unit, you could get it to trigger at the same time as the main flash from the Speedlite which is in ETTL mode, but you'd over-expose the image because the ETTL system would not know about the studio flash when it calculated requirements for exposure.

If you use your Speedlite AND the camera in fully manual mode, you could trigger a studio flash properly. The adjustments to the power levels of the Speedlite and the studio flash as well as the manual exposure settings in the camera could result in well-exposed images.

Use of a handheld light meter capable of measuring light from a flash sources (such as a Sekonic L-358 ) would make the job of determining the proper settings much easier than trial-and-error guessing.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2011 09:24 |  #5

Salma wrote in post #11969237 (external link)
Oh gosh.

Your best bet would be to buy an inexpensive radio trigger that mounts on your Xsi's hotshoe. The receiver should be able to hook up to most studio strobes, as well as fire your 580 off-camera so you can get started right away.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about flash gels and continuous lighting.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.