Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great Stealth Bag Idea!

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 13, 2011 16:21 as a reply to  @ post 12215833 |  #151

It seems the GT branded messenger bags (olive) have the zippered "main" compartment (link in previous posts). It's not in the description but the pics shows it.

There's also, a black version but unavailable:

http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=0P4P6E99TZ​M9WP71R4T0 (external link)

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links
BigEasyPhoto
93 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 13, 2011 19:38 as a reply to  @ Blurr Cube's post |  #152

I have also decided to "make" this bag. Already ordered the BBP insert (the 15% off didnt work for me, but it was only 3 bucks off) and looking into where to find a Rapid Dom R31 bag.

I see that the GT seems to be a rebranded R31, I wonder if its Rapid Dom made or 'reverse engieered.' It looks to be good quality either way, can any of the owners comment on that?

And a FYI, I emailed Army Universe about this (external link) bag to see if it had the zipper because of the confusion from the wrong bag being recieved from Army Universe earlier in the thread and got this response

Eric,

Just as a heads up we are sold out at the moment of the Rapid Rapdom they wont be back in stock for at least another 3 months.

If we can further assist you, please let us know.

Thank You,
Customer Service
ArmyUniverse.com

So Army Universe is not an option for the zippered bags.

40D Gripped | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 35-105mm f/4.5-5.6 | Feedback | flickr (external link)

Blurr ­ Cube
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 13, 2011 20:09 as a reply to  @ BigEasyPhoto's post |  #153

I ordered the black one from Gravity Trading via Amazon but that's unavailable now too:

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B003BQYLVY (external link)

This is a Rapid Dominance branded bag with the main zippered compartment. Fits the paddy perfectly.

| Canon EOS Systems |

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 13, 2011 20:19 |  #154

I ended up selling both the rapid dominance bag and the paddy insert (unused)... it wasn't wide enough for a gripped 7D..

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 13, 2011 20:20 |  #155

i opt for a crumpler 6 million (also bought here, used)... it's not as "stealthy"... but to those non-photo people, they would just think it's another messenger bag...

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 13, 2011 23:11 |  #156

xpfloyd wrote in post #12215833 (external link)
Both the rothco and rapid have inner zippered pockets but only the rapid dominance has a zipped main compartment. I bought through gravity on amazon and got the zippered rapid dominance

uhhhh, that's what I was saying dude.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

BigEasyPhoto
93 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 13:17 as a reply to  @ post 12211037 |  #157

I ordered This (external link) bag today. Will post back when it comes in. My BBP insert should be here tomorrow.

Don't know if this is somewhere here, but a review from the item I bought sums up the bag confusion pretty well, as well as a good review about the bags...

Xymnslot on Amazon wrote:
There are a lot of variants of this bag available on the internet from different manufacturers. Rothco, Everest, Rapid Dominance and Gravity Trading all sell versions of this bag that look nearly identical.

The GT bag appears to be a "rebadged" Rapid Dominance bag, which has a few key differences from the offerings from Rothco and Everest. First and foremost, the main compartment and two external pockets underneath the flap have zipper closures, which is a massive improvement over the other bags. On the back of the bag, there is a slender pouch with a velcro closure that would be perfect for easy access to any paper documents, magazines, etc. you might want to carry. The Rothco and Everest bags don't have this. The main compartment also has an inner liner, and uses a smoother feeling fabric than the Everest's slightly rougher canvas.

All of these bags offer an excellent size and multiple useful pockets. The main compartment readily holds padded camera bag inserts from multiple manufacturers (I recommend the Tenba, it fits perfectly). If you're not going to use it for camera gear, I'm sure it will hold whatever you're trying to carry. Perfect for day trips, I'm sure it's a wonderful man-purse. The pockets on either end comfortably hold most water bottles and are perfectly sized for a paperback novel. Inside the main compartment there is a zippered pouch that is good for holding plane tickets, wallet, passports...anything small that you need to keep separated from the main enclosure but tucked in an internal pocket. The two pockets underneath the flap are great for keys, phones, etc. I use mine to hold cables and remotes for my camera gear but it's a cinch for anything you'd rather not keep in a pocket.

The strap is wide and comfortable. It's a great looking bag, the build quality is excellent, the fabric is durable, the size is (in my opinion) ideal. I can't praise the bag highly enough, and it's under thirty bucks! If you need a spacious messenger bag that won't look like you're trying to carry luggage, or you want a camera bag that doesn't advertize with a well-known company logo, take the plunge. You definitely won't regret it.

On the seller side, shipping was extremely quick. I wish I'd had a tracking number, but it came quickly enough I didn't really have time to gripe about not knowing where it was.

P.S.

I bought the bag in black because I already had khaki and olive version from the other makers (non-zippered). The lighter colors don't show scuffs and dust as easily as the black version does, but the extra security of the zippers definitely has me favoring this one. I might buy the olive version from GT just to have that color with the zippers. I'm not sure I can justify owning four versions of this bag, though.

40D Gripped | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 35-105mm f/4.5-5.6 | Feedback | flickr (external link)

Blurr ­ Cube
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:28 as a reply to  @ BigEasyPhoto's post |  #158

Rapid brand Olive color from Gravity Trading back in stock, but the price went up! :mad:

http://www.amazon.com …9?ie=UTF8&m=AFT​EBR3SEQ0US (external link)

| Canon EOS Systems |

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:36 |  #159

Blurr Cube wrote in post #12223206 (external link)
Rapid brand Olive color from Gravity Trading back in stock, but the price went up! :mad:

http://www.amazon.com …7&creativeASIN=​B001I15G4K (external link)

They have got to be watching this thread or something, lol.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

Blurr ­ Cube
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2011 17:55 |  #160

BoneJj wrote in post #12223263 (external link)
They have got to be watching this thread or something, lol.

Feels like it. Heh.

| Canon EOS Systems |

BigEasyPhoto
93 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 14, 2011 20:09 |  #161

Blurr Cube wrote in post #12223206 (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …9?ie=UTF8&m=AFT​EBR3SEQ0US (external link)

few, I got it before the price raise. Mine was 28.XX shipped. You can get the Rapid Dominance bag through their own website for that price, theres no wondering what you will get at all that route haha.

OP should get a cut from Rapid/GT for the increase in business he gave them

D1G1T4L
20 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2011 20:13 |  #162

lightning807 wrote in post #12221654 (external link)
I ordered This (external link) bag today. Will post back when it comes in. My BBP insert should be here tomorrow.

Don't know if this is somewhere here, but a review from the item I bought sums up the bag confusion pretty well, as well as a good review about the bags...

I ordered the exact same combo. Will also post pics/review after I get them both in.

Mtalia86
75 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 14, 2011 20:18 as a reply to  @ post 12010156 |  #163

Nice

Gear list: Canon 5D Mark II, BG-E6 Battery Grip, 24-105mm L f/4 IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 USM, 16-35mm L f/2.8 USM, 580EX II Flash, CP-E4 battery pack, Hyperdrive Album 500GB

BigEasyPhoto
93 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 15, 2011 14:57 as a reply to  @ Mtalia86's post |  #164

Got in the BBP insert. I was somewhat concerned about the size and being able to fit my 40D gripped in it. I currently don't have that much gear (only lens is the nifty) but would like to be able to 'grow' with this bag for a little while. I borrowed a friends 75-300 and 18-55 kit lens to see how this insert handles a few lenses. (still no bag yet, just ordered that yesterday)

Cellphone pics, sorry for the crappy quality.

40D no grip, 75-300 on camera (touching bottom off the bag), kit lens on the left, nifty on the right. (camera doesnt push out the bag any, there is a little room on either side and a few inches to the top)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

40D gripped (slightly strecthing out bag, not too badly though. pic makes it look worse imo), 75-300 on camera (touching bottom off thebag), kit lens on the left, nifty on the right.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

40D gripped, Nifty on the camera. All my gear currently fits no issue... (doesnt push out the bag any) Flash makes it looks bright yellow, the other pics show the true color better)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

dahl
270 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2011 14:01 |  #165

tagakweens wrote in post #12217336 (external link)
I ended up selling both the rapid dominance bag and the paddy insert (unused)... it wasn't wide enough for a gripped 7D..

Bummer. It was the thing I was most worried about. Guess it's a TT Retro 20 for me.

"To travel is to live." - H. C. Andersen
(don't forget your camera)
---------------
flickr (external link) I Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

314,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great Stealth Bag Idea!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.