Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 09 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Check Out My WebSite Post

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
906 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2011 11:37 |  #1

yea im goin to be that guy and ask everyone to stop by my new site, its still a work in progress and will add some more stuff to it but I just wanted to get a genral feel for the site other than from my friends who will love anything that you do LOL.

www.ba-photos.com (external link)

thanks again everyone

oh and for some reason I cant get it to load on my mobile phone any one have any ideas?? works on the ipod and ipad though

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

Grumbledook
326 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 09, 2011 12:21 |  #2

not generally a fan of smug mug sites, they never seem to look that nice

yours isn't too bad, though you really need to address the header picture, it doesn't look "integrated" and part of the site, looks more like a banner advert
as the site is a fixed with it shouldn't be too hard to make a header image that fits the width of the site and remove the black margins around it

the menu looks a bit dated and "clunky" too

if this is for a professional presence, not sure you need to have your gear listed, especially as you are using prosumer bodies that may actually lose your customers

I also don't like that the galleries takes you off site, if you can find a way to embed that into a page on your actual site that would give a better impression

not familiar with smug mug personally though so can't offer too much help in that regard, maybe there is a section on their forum about site designs with smug mug

as for it not working on your phone that really depends what phone it is, the on board browser might not support certain tech if its old, or it could be that your service provider is blocking it

I see you are using wordpress though, I would have a look at installing a better theme, you can get some really good ones for not much money at all
this is one I often link as an example of what is out there http://themeforest.net …nt-wordpress-theme/136628 (external link) there are free options too that would give you a much better base to work from too

just had a quick search and there are smug mug plugins for wordpress too for inserting galleries to your posts/pages http://wordpress.org/e​xtend/plugins/wp-smugmug/ (external link) and another to add buy links as well, might be worth your while to take a look at those as well

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,349 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 09, 2011 12:23 |  #3

If you're planning on using your website to find people via the internet, then you should read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig.

Lose the 'My Gear' page. Only you care about what gear you use. I'm a photographer, and I don't care about what gear you have.

On your 'About Me' page, you should capitalize 'eagle raceway'. I think 'weather' is spelled "whether" in this instance. Either on this page or preferably on your home page, you should add your location and what yo do.

You might want to re-think your 'logo' photo. You have a great picture of a dirt track car, which is fine, if that's all you do. You list senior photos and personal modeling. That's a big broad brush. Maybe designing a better representation of what you do? BTW, modelling is spelled with one 'l'. Would you believe I'm not the best grammar/speller...LOL!​!

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
906 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2011 13:02 |  #4

the banner is the frist thing that i was going to address on the main page, its just the one that I was using on the smugmug site.

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 13, 2011 18:16 |  #5

Is this a website or a blog? I can't tell. Maybe it's both.

If you are wanting to present your photography, there's no reason to list your gear. Only you care about gear, all that matters to a client is the finished pictures. And if someone can find out where you live, it's a big list of expensive items to break in and steal, seriously.

The tags, links, meta boxes on the right side clutter up the page. Be consistent. You have "about ME" and "Contact US". Are you an individual or a group/company? Keep it simple and switch it to "about" and "contact".

Shouldn't your senior portrait pricing list amount of time, number of locations? You don't want to have clients assume one thing and you are set to provide something different.
And you need to actually look at your packages. The difference in content from Package 1 to Package 2 is just $30 yet Package 2 is $100 more! I think you need to review all your senior packages!

Wedding Prices. What is "full wedding day coverage"? Be specific. You don't want to have to be working from 8am to midnight do you? Full coverage means different things to different people. How many photos? All photos? Hope not. Some brides expect to get every single photo taken and you don't want to show the bad ones or duplicates and you sure don't want to have to develop every photo to look best. Giving out the bad/not that good photos, and unedited photos will only make you look bad. You should be able to provide only the best of your best.

Your dirt car banner. Which endeavor are you trying to go after more? Dirt racing or shooting people? I bet shooting people will have the most possibilities for growth and income. You're less likely to snag high school seniors and brides with this website that has a dirt racing car on every page!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

843 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Check Out My WebSite Post
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.