Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2005 (Monday) 04:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20D In-Camera B&W: Yes or No

ryno4youth
734 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 26, 2005 04:06 |  #1

OK, I have got a client that has requests all B&W pictures. I have had good results with B&W processing on the computer, but I have been doing everything that I can to keep post processing to a minimum. Has anyone use the B&W feature on the 20D for portrait and should I use it or should I process afterwards. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks so much.

Ryan

Keep Lookin' Up!

20D (w/ Grip), DRebel (w/ Grip), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 17-85mm IS USM, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 28-105mm, Kit Lens, Nifty Fifty, Canon 75-300mm, 4GB Sandisk Ultra CF, 2GB Sandisk CF, 1GB Extreme CF, Hakuba HG-504MX Carbon Fiber Tripod, Slik Pistol Grip Head, Carbon Fiber Monopod, Sigma EF Super DG External Flash, Kata Backpack, POTN Neck Strap, etc.

Company Website: http://www.lindbeckpho​to.com (external link)
Capturing Memories, a thousand words at a time...

sponsored links
Jesper
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 26, 2005 04:21 |  #2

Why don't you just try it out, experiment with it and see if you get the results you want with the in-camera B&W mode.

It doesn't matter if you use the in-camera B&W mode or if you make it B&W afterwards on the computer - what counts is that you are happy with the result...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 26, 2005 08:19 as a reply to  @ Jesper's post |  #3

You can't go back and change it to color if you shoot B&W in camera. So shoot color and/or RAW and convert to B&W in your computer. Many softwares available for this.

GEAR LIST

delinian
676 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 26, 2005 08:30 |  #4

Played around last week with my 20D's B&W settings, tint, tone, and diff combo's,
liked results, but will use CS2 to convert, just to be able to archive color info.

Dennis
Delinian.com (external link)

Loki1117
145 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 26, 2005 10:04 |  #5

I've done some shooting with the B&W setting in the camera, and played with the filters also and have really liked the results. I also tried to do similar images using the RAW and PS color filters and found that to work also. What ever you choose, make sure you shoot with the RAW on so that you have the original color data regardless.

Jeff :cool:

20D
Elan IIe

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and
nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

ryno4youth
THREAD ­ STARTER
734 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 26, 2005 23:39 |  #6

Thanks everyone.

"I've done some shooting with the B&W setting in the camera, and played with the filters also and have really liked the results. I also tried to do similar images using the RAW and PS color filters and found that to work also. What ever you choose, make sure you shoot with the RAW on so that you have the original color data regardless."

So Loki1117, if I shoot RAW, I will still have all color data, so I could make them color later if I wanted to? That is great, because I usually shoot RAW, so that I can have some negetives just in case. Thanks agian everyone for the help.

Keep Lookin' Up!

20D (w/ Grip), DRebel (w/ Grip), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 17-85mm IS USM, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 28-105mm, Kit Lens, Nifty Fifty, Canon 75-300mm, 4GB Sandisk Ultra CF, 2GB Sandisk CF, 1GB Extreme CF, Hakuba HG-504MX Carbon Fiber Tripod, Slik Pistol Grip Head, Carbon Fiber Monopod, Sigma EF Super DG External Flash, Kata Backpack, POTN Neck Strap, etc.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 28, 2005 11:41 |  #7

1. Shoot RAW, then desaturate the colors with photo editing software in the PC to get grayscale. That's what many have found to be the best technique in camera usage.

2. Good luck trying to get the shots printed so they look like classic silver halide photographic prints! Many enthusiasts have banged their head over and over to find paper and inks to mimic the look of untoned (or toned) prints from today's digital printers! Common to hear photogs complain about tinting appearing rather than pure shades of gray.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 28, 2005 13:14 |  #8

Shoot with the B+W filter in the camera, but select RAW+JPG(large) as file format.

That way, you can do both - use the B+W jpgs if they come out nice or resort to RAW if they suck.

Also take a look at this: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=87784
Most likely the images come out better if you use the RAW and apply the techniques described in this thread.

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

ryno4youth
THREAD ­ STARTER
734 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 29, 2005 01:16 |  #9

Thanks Andy, Wilt, and Everyone. I will try and play around with the in camera B&W and a RAW files, since I usually shoot RAW also. Andy, thanks for the link, and Martian and I have work on some B&W together so I already planned on getting his help. Thanks again everyone and good shooting.

Keep Lookin' Up!

Mannytkd
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 29, 2005 06:22 as a reply to  @ ryno4youth's post |  #10

I agree with 'gasrocks', keep them in colour and convert them like you have been. You get the best of both worlds that way........:D

Canon 50D | [COLOR=black]18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | Canon EF 100mm USM macro | Canon 50mm MK2 | Tokina 11-16 | Kenko Auto Extension Tubes | Uniloc 1200 series pod | Canon 430EX flash gun | Some filters
www.karls-photography.co.uk (external link)

Mike ­ Smith
224 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 29, 2005 10:59 |  #11

As long as you shoot RAW it doesn't matter what setting the camera is on. You can switch back and forth as much as you like.

Mike Smith
Visit Railroad Photo Essays.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,929 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2005 09:19 |  #12

Shoot RAW+JPG with the camera set to B&W, that way the JPG is B&W and the RAW is color if you want to do it yourself. Have a read of this thread (35 pages of it now) for conversion tips, and reasons why you shoot RAW.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
20D In-Camera B&W: Yes or No
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.