Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 21:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

without good light , why even bother?!

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 10, 2011 21:24 |  #1

I have been trying to get good landscape shots for years and any good one I have ever taken was because of good time of day lighting.

I am I to lunch here or is this just the way it is?

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
GtrPlyr
480 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 10, 2011 21:39 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Its all about light. The light sucks, so does your photo. Like a good model can make all the difference in making a shot, so does great scenery as well. I envy people that live in parts of the country where you can point a camera practically any which way and get the goods. ;)

....or world. I forgets the internet tubes are international

Gear List: A Brownie. I call it a Brownie cuz it fell in the toilet.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 10, 2011 21:45 |  #3

no insult intended, but could it be that you aren't able to recognize good light? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I just don't know how to ask the question so it doesn't sound snarky...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Bow ­ To ­ The ­ Robots
77 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2011 21:45 as a reply to  @ GtrPlyr's post |  #4

Absolutely. Photography is light! Think about the way light changes a scene--what is boring and blase in the noon sunlight is dramatic and emotive when the sun gets low in the sky and casts a palette of color and shadow on your subject. Ansel Adams would sit for days waiting for just the right light.

Be a traveler, not a tourist.
-Rick Steves

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 10, 2011 23:28 as a reply to  @ Bow To The Robots's post |  #5

I'll shoot in noon sunlight, and sometimes I get some pretty good results. Sometimes I'll get pictures that are BETTER than if I'd waited around for the cliched "right time" to shoot.

Some shots require a PARTICULAR light in order to get the most out of them, but I don't really agree with any of the "rules" about this kind of stuff, like "noon sunlight makes for ugly boring pictures." It'll work better sometimes, sometimes it won't. If the lighting is bad, and one wants to shoot, then one can very often find subjects that DO work with the available light.

Just do what works. Even the "best" light is not necessarily ideal for a particular shot. Let the picture dictate what light is required, not the opposite.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 10, 2011 23:32 |  #6

suecassidy wrote in post #11998528 (external link)
no insult intended, but could it be that you aren't able to recognize good light? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I just don't know how to ask the question so it doesn't sound snarky...

I'll second this.

It's not that any lighting situation is ever objectively BAD, it's just that it doesn't work with what is being shot. But the world is rich with possibilities. I refuse to believe that in the VAST majority of situations, SOMETHING could have benefitted from being shot in that "bad light".

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 11, 2011 02:25 |  #7

Pick your scene, pick your shooting position, angle, composition, pick your season, pick your weather, pick your time of day, pick your filters. Get set up, wait, pick your moment, get "lucky" or go home empty handed. You do what you can to improve your luck, but the best results probably come from planning, preparation and a mastery of visualisation and understanding of light.

At least I think that's what it's all about. I'm just a rookie at so many aspects of photography and at landscapes I'm not even out of the starting blocks. My attempts at landscapes are seriously lacklustre. I don't put in the effort required, scouting locations, working out sun angles, getting up at daft o'clock to catch a sunrise, and I don't have the skills to pull off a beautiful shot. Maybe one day.....

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 11, 2011 06:42 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #8

Shooting in harsh light is often the best way to capture B&W images.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

GtrPlyr
480 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 11, 2011 10:16 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Clean Gene wrote in post #11999141 (external link)
I'll second this.

It's not that any lighting situation is ever objectively BAD, it's just that it doesn't work with what is being shot. But the world is rich with possibilities. I refuse to believe that in the VAST majority of situations, SOMETHING could have benefitted from being shot in that "bad light".

I'd say by definition, ANY light that flatters the subject is good light....and vice versa

Gear List: A Brownie. I call it a Brownie cuz it fell in the toilet.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2011 13:14 |  #10

suecassidy wrote in post #11998528 (external link)

I guess it was from watching all those Peter Lik youtube videos of him taking 15 amazings shots in a 2 minute video..:oops:

I can see good light , I am now seeing that it is the most important thing thats all.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2011 13:40 |  #11

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12002192 (external link)
I guess it was from watching all those Peter Lik youtube videos of him taking 15 amazings shots in a 2 minute video..:oops:

I can see good light , I am now seeing that it is the most important thing thats all.

Well, that is certainly something we learn about, and good landscape photography is a field where that makes a big difference.

I shoot in all kinds of conditions for some of what I do, but if I'm looking to shoot some particular types of scenes I do pay attention to both the overall conditions and the time of day.

For other things, it's how you handle the light you have:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 11, 2011 13:53 |  #12

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Is this good light?

Here is the original.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2011 14:09 |  #13

Heh! That's one of those

For other things, it's how you handle the light you have

scenarios!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,461 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 11, 2011 14:14 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #14

I tend to like overcast light. It really makes for more interesting skies. But being able to see when the light is right for the visual statement you are trying to make is so important and it can really take years to get really good at it. Good light is the light that matched the visual statement that you are trying to make.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_0058-2BW.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/233Domingo09.jpg

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 11, 2011 14:14 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #12002518 (external link)
Heh! That's one of those scenarios!

Haha, sure was. Sweden is usually extremely gray during the winter/autumn. And thats why I have become a novice at colour tweaking and using filters to get atleast a slight pop to my images.

Great Shots Airfrog!

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

sponsored links

5,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
without good light , why even bother?!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.