Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 11 Mar 2011 (Friday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are there anything else other than the s90 or s95?

craigslistpost604
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 11, 2011 16:30 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Don't know what's the hype about the s90 or s95 but are there anything like those two that's not $300-$400? I'm looking for something that's like...$100-$200 but can still take good quality pictures like s90 or s95...is that possible?

sponsored links
Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 11, 2011 18:43 |  #2

I was tossing up between the S95 and the Panasonic Lumix LX5 myself. Went for the S95 in the end. That isn’t going to help you if you are looking at under $200...

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 11, 2011 18:48 |  #3

Yes, you can get excellent photos with something at that price.

My recommendation, if you need something small enough to fit in jeans pocket is probably the SD 1400 or something similar.

The SX 130 IS is a great camera, and it's 199 bucks (but you can find it a bit cheaper).

The S-90 can be had for a little over 200 (some are getting it for about 270 new...if you can find them).

The hype surrounding the S-90 and S-95 is that they simply happen to be the best point and shoot cameras for their size...period. Nobody else comes close.

However, lot's of cameras take pictures just as well as the S-95, but are a bit pricier. The leader is probably the Olympus XZ-1, but it's 499.

Go to Steves-digicams to see some excellent reviews on point and shoot cameras.

Thank you. bw!

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 12, 2011 06:32 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #4

You best option for around $200 is probably Canon's SD4000.
It doesn't have the S95's or LX5's larger imaging sensor, but it does have an f/2.0 aperture,
a BSI CMOS sensor with a rather low MP count and zoom during video (which the S95 doesn't have).

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

mika900
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 12, 2011 12:20 as a reply to  @ eyalg's post |  #5

I like the s90, I personally own it and recommend it. It takes really good pictures (except in auto mode), and it's very small and light which is what I always look for. If you can afford it, go for it, but I don't if it means getting into debt.

depresion sintomas (external link)

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 12, 2011 15:42 |  #6

I have had an S90 for a year now and I just love it. Great camera for those times when you need an easy to use point and shoot that is very small and light. I use it for quick product shots all the time and also the night time performance is remarkable.

That said, I've been out of the loop for awhile on point and shoot digital stuff so I'm not sure what is the latest and greatest these days. My 12 year old niece has expressed interest in a camera and learning more about photography so I'd like to get her something better than her current ipod. Any recommendations?

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

bigrig
268 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 12, 2011 19:36 |  #7

Samsung TL350 is available for about $240, has 2.4 aperture, 24mm wide angle, manual controls, RAW files.

Or - find a used S90.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2011 21:52 |  #8

Not really, the S95 is just IT right now!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 13, 2011 14:34 |  #9

If you're sticking to canon, have a look at the canon store refurb models. There's some nice ones in your range, but not really to compete directly with s95
http://shop.usa.canon.​com …wAll_10051_1005​1_-1_12163 (external link)

Gear

oniscus
115 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2011 04:07 as a reply to  @ elogical's post |  #10

i dont think its all hype, it just performs way above avg for a P&S camera thus all the buzz. i have an s95 myself and i'm very impressed when i'm using it, i get to carry it all the time when i dont feel like lugging my 5dii and i feel like i'm not llosing the ability to capture very good images with the s95, especially shooting raw.

https://photography-on-the.net …ight=oniscus#po​st11272604

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 14, 2011 17:46 |  #11

I agree the SD 1400 is a good small point & shoot in your price range. My wife has the older SD1100 and my son has the SD1300, All get good shots without all the manual settings avail on the S series cameras. The SD's listed above have a smaller sensor but can still provide enlargements for wall photos.

Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

N/A
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2011 05:02 as a reply to  @ hnikesch's post |  #12

You may be able to get a good used S90 for $250., but I've been out of the loop for awhile and am not sure. I love mine! Fits right in my shirt pocket, has full manual control capability, and takes great pix.
Here's a couple of shots I took with mine:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i80.photobucket​.com …gust%202010/Aba​ndoned.jpg (external link)

http://i80.photobucket​.com …April%202009/IM​G_0393.jpg (external link)

http://i80.photobucket​.com …/Textured/BabyG​rizzly.jpg (external link)

- Jim

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2011 00:07 |  #13

N/A wrote in post #12048807 (external link)
You may be able to get a good used S90 for $250., but I've been out of the loop for awhile and am not sure. I love mine! Fits right in my shirt pocket, has full manual control capability, and takes great pix.
Here's a couple of shots I took with mine:

I just got one for $220 used and Canon estore had their refurbs on special for $225 a month ago. I think you could easily do $250.

And I agree, the S90/95 is just about as good as it gets for a pocket camera

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

3,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are there anything else other than the s90 or s95?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.