Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UV vs CLEAR filters.

yjt
359 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 13, 2011 19:12 |  #1

http://maxsaver.net …Digital-CLEAR-Filter.aspx (external link)

http://maxsaver.net …on-Digital-UV-Filter.aspx (external link)

I'm trying to buy 3 filters for my lenses, Not sure if i should get the UV one, which would cost me around $30 more. or I should just get a clear one since I only shoot digital.

edit : also for those that used both B+W and hoya is there a difference? which one is better?

7D (Gripped) || 24-70 f2.8L || 50 f1.4 || 70-200mm f4L
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 13, 2011 19:22 |  #2

Personally, I wouldn't buy either, however if you are shooting digital then UV is a bigger waste of money as digital cameras deal with that themselves, so save some money and get clear ones. If shooting film, then UV filters actually have a purpose.

MGW172
503 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 13, 2011 22:23 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #3

I have been using the Hoya Pro1 Clear Protectors for a couple of years now. I just got a Hoya HD Protector (not the UV) and it is much easier to clean that the older Pro1's. I think it has some new type of coating. In fact, it's hard to get the Pro1's clean after being in the rain while the new HD just wipes perfectly clean with only a microfiber cloth.

7D | 20D | Canon 10-22 | Canon 15-85 | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 100-400 L

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2011 22:43 |  #4

MGW172 wrote in post #12014584 (external link)
I have been using the Hoya Pro1 Clear Protectors for a couple of years now. I just got a Hoya HD Protector (not the UV) and it is much easier to clean that the older Pro1's. I think it has some new type of coating. In fact, it's hard to get the Pro1's clean after being in the rain while the new HD just wipes perfectly clean with only a microfiber cloth.

After spending a weekend shooting in rain and mist, I like the sound of the easy clean filters. My current UV filters were not fun to get dried off without leaving streaks. Guess it's time to go filter searching, good thing my birthday is coming up!

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,860 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 13, 2011 22:56 as a reply to  @ meglet's post |  #5

I'm with Sandpiper. UV had a purpose in the old film days. For a DSLR all you need outside is a good CPL and maybe a ND to smooth out flowing water. Personally I like a VND.

mwda
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 03, 2012 19:10 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #6

I just bought a Hoya clear Pro1 Digital Filter. I had a low cost Zeikos glass UV filter that I had been using for protection but thought it was effecting the White Balance on the SX40HS point and shoot digital camera that I use.

I had read that UV filters have no effect on digital cameras because the CCD was coated at the factory. I had taken shots out side with the UV filter and with no filter and I did not see much difference on a sunny day between the shots. This all changed on the day that was cloudy. I tested the two filters by taking the same shots at the beach on a cloudy day and the UV filter greatly enhanced the pictures that I took with it. The White Balance though set on Auto was completely different. The blue with the clear filter was oppressive in the pictures taken with the clear filter while the UV filter presented a nice gray that was far more real. I could have set my "White Balance" to cloudy and improved the photos but I sometimes forget to do this and in this situation I wanted to see the difference. I still think that on a sunny day I might be better off with my much more expensive multi coated clear Hoya filter but I will have to work with the filters for a while. It is clear to me that I will have to use both of them, it is also clear to me that I needed both of them.

I always use a protection filter for cleaning if nothing else. You can not always see spots on the camera lens because of it's curvatures and constant cleaning is always a risk to a lens. Some times spots are not so easy to get off so you use cleaning fluids which is also problematic for the lens on the camera. If one shots out side one has to clean the lens a lot especially if one takes macro shots for you are always close to the flower or insect that you might wish to photograph.

I hope this helps

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 03, 2012 21:16 |  #7

I seem to get crisper edges if I don't use any filter. I just use the hood to protect the lens.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2012 21:30 |  #8

tvphotog wrote in post #14017446 (external link)
I seem to get crisper edges if I don't use any filter. I just use the hood to protect the lens.

Makes sense considering a filter adds another barrier for light to pass through but at the end of the day a high end protective filter has a negligible effect on image quality overall.

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

rgregoryb
261 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 03, 2012 21:34 |  #9

old habits die hard....for my mental well being I use a Hoya ProDigital UV on all my lenses...I'm old and stuck in my ways and like the protection aspect

Leica D-LUX 4

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 04, 2012 08:23 |  #10

tvphotog wrote in post #14017446 (external link)

Ditto. I used clear or UV filters for several years, but have since gone without UV or clear filters on my lenses instead preferring the hood for protection of the front element. The only time I will use a clear filter is when I am in a dusty or wet environment

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

roy416
224 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2012 20:08 |  #11

Shoot with animal, flower, in rain and dust, mistake, all of them will loss you iq, lens value and make you disappointed. Hood only helps a little, most of petal hoods seem no protection, IMO.

Canon 6D, EF 24-105mm F4 L, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100mm F2.8

sponsored links

3,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
UV vs CLEAR filters.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.