Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2011 (Monday) 06:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade advice wanted

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2011 06:14 |  #1

Hi everyone, I have a 1000D/XS and am starting to run into some of the body's limitations. Mainly, I need better performance at high ISO since I like to shoot equestrian sport and the light is often low enough that I need high ISO (even oudoors, the weather here in Germany is often cloudy enough that I need to bump up the ISO). It is not just a question of better glass - I don't have L's but I do have the 100mm f/2 USM which works great for me and it still requires bumping the ISO.

Here are my thoughts: I don't really feel I need video but I might find it fun to have. I am a pure hobby photographer and probably will never be anything else - so, staying in the lower end of the range is probably all I can justify.

I see the new 1100D and know that it is an improvement but not such a big one. I see the new 600D and wonder about that. There is also the 550D that is not so old. But I have been thinking about the 500D, because the 500D and my 1000D share the same batteries and grip, remote connector, SD cards, and maybe more. I love all my extra "gadgets" and would hate to think I need to get different ones - that would mean upgrading the body and doing without for a while or upgrading to the 500D and just moving everything from one to the other. Also, the resale for the 1000D will not be too good, and for many things, it still works for me - so I probably would keep the 1000D as a 2nd body.

What do you think - would the 500D be enough of an upgrade that I would even notice, especially with regard to high ISO perfomrance and AI servo focusing? I'm also thinking that after the 600D starts hitting the market, the prices might drop on the 500D.

Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share.

Kevin

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 14, 2011 07:24 |  #2

Since no budget was specified: you shoot sports, and in lower light conditions. The only solution to your problem would be a 7D paired up nicely with a 70-200 f/2.8 II ;)

Give us a budget and you can get better help :)

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2011 07:32 |  #3

Tony_Stark wrote in post #12016182 (external link)
Since no budget was specified: you shoot sports, and in lower light conditions. The only solution to your problem would be a 7D paired up nicely with a 70-200 f/2.8 II ;)

Give us a budget and you can get better help :)

Yeah - that is the problem. I don't have a fixed amount that I have saved up or anything like that. Let's just say as little as possible.

I expected recommendations for the 7D - but the body alone is more than I want to think about now. Plus, I then couldn't use the grip and extra batteries that I have - also would need CF cards instead of SD, right?

But I appreciate the thoughts - I suppose if I decide the 7D is what I want to go with, I'll just start saving and put up with what I got for a longer period of time.

Kevin

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2011 08:03 |  #4

Lens should be okay. Don't let the battery grip keep you from getting a good upgrade, it should be low on the list of priorities. Same for memory cards.

Prices always continue to drop after the initial release of a new model. You might wait a few weeks but if you wait too long the next "latest and greatest" will be announced and you will be still be waiting for prices to drop on that model. Get what you want whenever you have the funds.

Look here to see examples of different cameras tested at high ISO: http://www.dpreview.co​m …ws/canoneos60D/​page18.asp (external link)

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,753 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 14, 2011 08:38 |  #5

My 500D works fine for horsies at very low light.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TJL1hSzQOmI/AAAAAAAANlI/j5QA5iTiQDw/s800/2010_09_10_6384.JPG

Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 200mm
Flash Used: No

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

923 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade advice wanted
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.