Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 15 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do I find out the shutter count or actuations for the s95?

craigslistpost604
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2011 21:17 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I just bought a new s95 from buydig.com and from the looks of it, it looks like someone took it out used it and returned it and I'm the sucker that bought it. Anyone know how do I find out the actuations for this camera before I actually keep it...thanks all

sponsored links
august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
3,126 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 15, 2011 23:46 |  #2

just take a picture and hit the "Disp." button. it should give you an image file #. Chances are thats the amount of pictures taken. Example: IMG0023 means 23 pictures were taken.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2011 17:03 |  #3

I don't think that is going to help. It only shows the number of pictures on the card.

Different camera, but with my Canon P&S I used the method on the chdk web site. You put an empty file named vers.req in the root directory of your card. Turn camera on in review mode, hold FuncSet and press Disp 3 times. This shows the total shutter count on my SX20IS. But I don't know about the S95.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2011 18:06 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

lar55 wrote in post #12033393 (external link)
I don't think that is going to help. It only shows the number of pictures on the card.

Different camera, but with my Canon P&S I used the method on the chdk web site. You put an empty file named vers.req in the root directory of your card. Turn camera on in review mode, hold FuncSet and press Disp 3 times. This shows the total shutter count on my SX20IS. But I don't know about the S95.

thanks ! zero on my s95

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 16, 2011 19:07 |  #5

lar55 wrote in post #12033393 (external link)

Only if you've at some point reset the counter. Most people just let the image number roll up, and don't zero it out with each fresh card. Of course, the frame number will be low if you try a lot of "dry firings" with no card in the camera.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2011 21:00 |  #6

OK, I see that now, thanks. On my camera, that displays as two numbers, like 108-5678, and the manual says this is the "folder number - file number". I thought the reference was to the numbers below that, like "4/80", which the manual calls "displayed image number / total number of images". Of course these second numbers reset when you erase all images. My file number was about 10% lower than the shutter count. But if I change the file numbering setting from Continous to Auto Reset, it resets to 100-0001 when I erase all images, or format the card.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2011 11:18 |  #7

I had mine set so it restarted the file numbering in a new folder every day AFAIR? I changed that. It was getting confusing - particularly with 5 Canon cameras in the house - all using broadly similar numbering conventions.

I tend to do a Finder script global find & replace on the front of every file I import before I do anything - to identify the camera and the date in the file name.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2011 12:15 |  #8

That's what I use Downloader Pro (external link) for. It automagically creates a folder and file naming for everything as I download it, adds geotags if I remembered to run the GPS, and lets me content-tag and caption my files. You can use EXIF data and original folder and file names or parts thereof in naming.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2011 13:15 |  #9

Jon wrote in post #12044440 (external link)
That's what I use Downloader Pro (external link) for. It automagically creates a folder and file naming for everything as I download it, adds geotags if I remembered to run the GPS, and lets me content-tag and caption my files. You can use EXIF data and original folder and file names or parts thereof in naming.

Fine. I have it macro-ed so it doesn't actually cause me much bother but same idea. One thing that has to be added to the name string with the 7D files is the Canon folder name - eg "103" etc to get rid of any possible file name duplication.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2011 13:43 |  #10

Yep. I do that with DLPro too. Typical file name: C:\DCIM-ALL\DCIM-5D2\100C_5D2\2900\100-2900_5D2.JPG. By taking the first 2 digits of the frame number, DLPro creates a new folder for me every 100 shots, which speeds up directory loads.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

8,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I find out the shutter count or actuations for the s95?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.