Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera settings/PS fix for blown hilights?!

konfuzd1
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2011 00:18 |  #1

I was just wondering what I should be doing to control hilights in a shot like this. It was taken with my 50D and 70-200 f4L on a very sunny day, so there is tons of contrast between the dark logs and the white of the cat. I wanted the background blurred as much as possible, so it was shot at f4 1/1250 100iso. Truth be told, I can't seem to shoot this cat without the "glow," regardless of aperture, shutter, etc. on a sunny day. Are there settings on the 50D I could be using to control this, or is it easier to fix in post-processing (and if so, how)? I've played with hilights, exposure, gamma correction, curves and other things but can't seem to fix this without sacrificing something else and the end product looking unnatural. Help!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gripped 50D; Rebel T2I; Rebel 35mm; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; 50mm f/1.8 USM II; 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM; 430EX II (and just for fun, Rokinon 500 f/6.3 mirror and 2x tube)
http://www.facebook.co​m/milliner.john?sk=pho​tos (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 16, 2011 07:47 |  #2

How would you like to see this improved? The whites look white, and the shadows have detail -- if you want the whites not-so-bright you need to bring highlights down in post-processing, but like you said too much of that can make things look bad. Bring the overall exposure down a touch and the highlights down a touch?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 16, 2011 08:14 |  #3

... and what's wrong with this photo again? Nothing white is blown out, in fact, I probably would have enhanced the contrast in some spots just a touch as the image looks a little flat.

I think you should look into calibrating your monitor, because looking at the histogram in Photoshop, there is plenty of headroom in the highlights.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 16, 2011 08:50 |  #4

tonylong wrote in post #12030211 (external link)
How would you like to see this improved? The whites look white, and the shadows have detail -- if you want the whites not-so-bright you need to bring highlights down in post-processing, but like you said too much of that can make things look bad. Bring the overall exposure down a touch and the highlights down a touch?

I agree. It looks pretty good to me, too. Maybe the area of the leg just to the left of the left eye could have more highlight detail, but I don't mind that.

First, your image is aRGB & not sRGB.

Are there settings on the 50D I could be using to control this,

Second, the cat is in sunlight, so I'd use this to to keep detail where I wanted it: Need an exposure crutch?

Why?
Post #47

Third, Adjustment Layers are one answer to touching up just a few parts of an image. Post #9:
Airport runway shoot

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2011 09:04 |  #5

If anything, the image is underexposed.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 16, 2011 15:19 |  #6

I'm assuming that you simply missed the 'Image edit and repost permission' setting in your profile.

Shadows, contrast and saturation: up
Highlights: down a little
A bit of sharpening

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Peano
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 16, 2011 16:47 as a reply to  @ agedbriar's post |  #7

Your posted image is in Adobe RGB, so that hurts your color a bit. There are no blown highlights in this, but the white balance is a bit off. If you want
the details in the highlights to show better, you might go for a little more depth of field, and some sharpening (I used Topaz Detail on this one ... very good
for bringing out the fine stuff).

IMAGE: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4191/cat3y.jpg

IMAGE: http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4899/cat2zb.jpg

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

sponsored links

986 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera settings/PS fix for blown hilights?!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.