Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I'm getting scammed

louieabellera
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:06 |  #1

I know, I'm an idiot.

I posted a WTB ad last week wanting to buy a 5D. My inbox is pretty full so I say on the ad to contact me via email. A person contacted me from Arizona wanting to sell their 5D. After asking for feedback they sent me a link to an eBay profile since they have no other feedback anywhere else. Ok. Cool. No feedback for the past year, but 68 positive reviews from the past couple years. After a little negotiating I got it down to $900.

I sent the payment on late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

Now, whenever I buy/sell camera gear I tend to be very speedy in shipping out and I guess I stupidly expect everyone to be the same. I had sold my other camera the same day, packaged it, then sent it out the next morning. I know different people have different situations and maybe they couldn't make it to the PO, fine, but at least let me know when you plan on doing it, right?

After sending a paranoid email asking why they havent been responsive (they were pretty responsive before I sent the payment) I get a 'no need to worry. dont be paranoid. i'll send you the tracking # when I ship it' response. Awesome. Not paranoid anymore.

But wait. I just remembered I paid with PayPal Gift. They dont have my address (is this correct? I had a friend send me a dollar via PayPal Gift last night and I could not find his address anywhere). So I send another e-mail. Two, to be exact (I'm paranoid remember?) One asking if they needed my address, another asking when they plan on shipping. Both sent yesterday. Actually I sent another e-mail saying that I'll need it next week for a shoot. And I get the same short response: "Hey Louie, once I ship it out I will inform you. Thanks"

I also contacted their eBay profile to make sure it was the same person and I got the same response. "Once I ship it out, I will inform you".

Sigh.

This has only been a few days, but things are getting pretty sketchy. Right? Or am I being paranoid? I know that since I paid with PayPal Gift, I am not covered. Is there anything else I can do? This gives me anxiety. I've been scammed before, but never when dealing with this much money.

sponsored links
net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 10:12 |  #2

louieabellera wrote in post #12030878 (external link)
But wait. I just remembered I paid with PayPal Gift. They dont have my address (is this correct?)

Correct.

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:19 |  #3

Thought so. So not once have they asked for my address. I sent it anyway though.

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2011 10:19 |  #4

This has only been a few days, but things are getting pretty sketchy. Right? Or am I being paranoid? I know that since I paid with PayPal Gift, I am not covered. Is there anything else I can do? This gives me anxiety. I've been scammed before, but never when dealing with this much money.

Given that the seller only got your payment on Monday morning he only had one full day to ship the camera to you (probably got the payment as he got into the office on Monday with camera being at home), so it's too early to get paranoid. Lack of address is usually something I'd find when generating a shipping label, so if he hasn't gotten to that stage yet he might have not realized that he didn't have the address. If you don't have a tracking info by Fri, then it might be time to get paranoid.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

moose10101
registered smartass
1,759 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2011 10:21 |  #5

But wait. I just remembered I paid with PayPal Gift.

And that's exactly what you gave them: a gift. They don't have to do a thing. And you have no recourse.

The fact that they used their actual eBay ID is your only glimmer of hope. A scammer could just as easily pick out any eBay ID with good feedback and say, "That's me".

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2011 10:24 |  #6

Contact your CC company or Bank where funds were pulled from if this turns out to be a scam

also may want to give PayPal a call
PayPal #s from www.paypalsucks.com (external link) (because you can't find them on paypal.com)

Their toll free number is (888) 221-1161
Their NEW regular telephone number is: (650) 864-8000
An automated phone number is 402-935-7733
Another regular telephone number is: (402)935-2050
408 376 7400 fax: 408-376-7514 (Verified by Whois)
One of their fax numbers is: (402)537-5765 - (unverified, but probably good)
Another fax number is: (650)251-1101 - (verified via whois search)
The entire block of phone numbers from (402)935-2100 to (402)935-2299 seems to be all PayPal's

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:27 |  #7

Yeah. PP gift was my bad.

Hey net_tech, thanks for all the help. The thing is that I dont think the money came from my bank or CC company. I had just sold my other camera that same day, so I still had money in my PP account.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:31 |  #8

am I allowed to release email addresses? because there's another thing from the PP transaction that's kind of fishy.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2011 10:35 as a reply to  @ net_tech's post |  #9

Get to work and figure out who you're dealing with. If the seller is thinking about ripping you off, a call on his work line might bring him back down to earth. At this point, he's probably thinking that he's completely unaccountable to you.

But first, send an email explaining your concerns and exactly what you're going to be forced to do if he doesn't convince you that the camera is on its way. Don't fly off the handle with threats - he might be a good seller and is just a bit lazy. Just let him know that at this point, there's no way for you to know whether you're being scammed or not and whether you should be calling his local police station.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,759 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2011 10:39 |  #10

louieabellera wrote in post #12031021 (external link)
am I allowed to release email addresses? because there's another thing from the PP transaction that's kind of fishy.

Can you tell us what's fishy without revealing the address?

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:41 |  #11

In the transaction details, this is what it says.

To: Person's name

Email: a completely gibberish email. something along the lines of akldhaldhald@yahoo.com (external link)

Payment sent to: the email the person gave me (which is fine)

I'm worried about the second line.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:43 |  #12

I would LOVE to find out where the seller works, but I've searched and googled and have had no luck finding a match to the name.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2011 10:45 |  #13

And I'll definitely wait a couple days before I start freaking out for real.

dizzye36m3
941 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2011 10:50 |  #14

In my opinion, in this day and age, there's no excuse for lack of communication. Then again, I'm the type of guy who's quick to reply to PMs and ships the same or next day.

Good luck.

-Sean flickr (external link)

dawgfan
402 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 16, 2011 11:00 |  #15

If it were me, I'd be contacting PP to notify them of a potential problem. They may not be able to help since it was a gift, but they might be able to flag his/her account as suspicious.

They keep their eye on activities that fit this description, because I was involved in one a while back and they came through for me and other buyers. PP would not provide details; however, it led me to believe they keep an eye out for shady stuff.

Good luck!

louieabellera wrote in post #12031116 (external link)
And I'll definitely wait a couple days before I start freaking out for real.

Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Friend
Feedback

sponsored links

33,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I'm getting scammed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.