Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

jokes, comments. What do you do or say to get a smile for a picture.

Crocodile101
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 17, 2011 15:52 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Say bunny,say funny, say money, cheese. I will choke myself until you smile! Is there one or two you use effectively? I would like to practice this part of photography. Also, using compliments? wether honest or not. Thanks for the help.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. Ansel Adams.

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 17, 2011 15:54 |  #2

Kids tend to smile when you do.

Adults, I just tell them that they have to close their eyes and when I count down to one open them all together.

For whatever reason, that gets them going.

Above all, I've noticed that when I'm relaxed, they are, and when I see tense photographers the subjects tend to mirror that.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Mar 17, 2011 15:58 |  #3

Every woman likes to hear "Your hair looks nice." It set the mood for going forward.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Crocodile101
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 17, 2011 16:28 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Yea S.Horton, your attitude does show thru. I will practice with my own smile first. lol

Gator, I love your shirt! how's that. Thanks

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 17, 2011 20:11 |  #5

If I want a smile, I simply ask for it.....I'll say, "Ok, flash me a smile". If it ends up looking like a fake cheesy smile, I'll make a joke of it and say something like "Oh geez, is that cheesy smile the best you've got?" That usually invokes a natural laugh/smile immediately afterwards that I'll be ready to capture. Usually works pretty well for me :) I've also used the "close your eyes and when I count to three, everyone open your eyes and give me a smile"....this usually works well for groups and also helps ensure everyone's eyes are open.

lookn4u
54 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 17, 2011 20:42 |  #6

I tell them I will photoshop in an extra chin or some really big hips if they don't smile. Thats always gets a good laugh out of them. I make it all fun and games for the client. Young or old, everyone likes to be silly from time to time. I tell them the camea shows whats on the inside as well as the outside. It will show a fake smile for just that, fake!

5D MK II gripped, 24-70 L, 70-200 F4 L, 50D gripped, "nifty fifty", 580 EX II, Three (3) 430 EX II's and a bunch of other stuff.........and one day I'm going to learn how to use all of it....I just have to figure out how to turn it on first!

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,304 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 17, 2011 21:36 as a reply to  @ lookn4u's post |  #7

People smile when they're feeling good about themselves.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,612 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 17, 2011 22:20 |  #8

ask them to tickle each other

Gearlist

NeoSoulPhoto
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 17, 2011 22:21 |  #9

I say "work it honey" in a flamboyant voice and they die from laughter.

www.flickr.com/neosoul​photo (external link)
jeffersonlawsphotograp​hy.com (external link)PLEASE BE A FAN ON FB!!! http://www.facebook.co​m/Neosoulphoto (external link)
Nikon D90, D5000, Nikon 50mm ƒ1.4, Nikon 18-105,Nikon 35mm ƒ1.8,

Crocodile101
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 17, 2011 22:24 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Jra I really love that one, thanks. You made me smile lol

Crocodile101
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 17, 2011 22:28 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

NeoSoulPhoto wrote in post #12041603 (external link)
I say "work it honey" in a flamboyant voice and they die from laughter.

I can just imagine, that must sound really good and get a great smile.
Your link for Facebook wasn't working for me.

NeoSoulPhoto
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2011 13:31 |  #12

Crocodile101 wrote in post #12041640 (external link)
I can just imagine, that must sound really good and get a great smile.
Your link for Facebook wasn't working for me.

thanks. I fixed the link

www.flickr.com/neosoul​photo (external link)
jeffersonlawsphotograp​hy.com (external link)PLEASE BE A FAN ON FB!!! http://www.facebook.co​m/Neosoulphoto (external link)
Nikon D90, D5000, Nikon 50mm ƒ1.4, Nikon 18-105,Nikon 35mm ƒ1.8,

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2011 00:02 |  #13

I was doing Christmas pictures at my son's school last year. My wife has a panda bear hat w/ paws that hang down for her hands. Jokingly, I put it on my camera and the kids started cracking up. Well, it was a hit and it stayed on there the entire time. Everyone commented on how "cute" it was, so I guess it worked. If a kid was inattentive, I would put my hand in one of the paws and "growl" at them. That would lighten the mood. Here's a pic.

IMAGE: http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2842/img20101211135805.jpg

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

SnapsbyPoteat
983 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2011 00:18 |  #14

If it's a couples session, I have them whisper something in each other's ear! Then I tell them they have to tell me what they said! Sometimes they'll tell me & sometimes they won't but it almost always get's the best reactions! Like this one!

IMAGE: http://snapsbypoteat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/storyboard7-1024x819.jpg

Gear list: Canon 5D Mk II, 7D tokina 11-16/2.8, Sigma 30 1.4 , Canon 50 1.2 L, 85 1.8,100 2.8 L macro, 580ex,
www.snapsbypoteat.com (external link) . Facebook Page (external link)The Blog (external link)
The wedding page www.melaniepoteat.com (external link)

snappy7
111 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:40 |  #15

to crack a smile or more ... If it's an adult(s) I tell 'em to think of sex or something sexy ! Like your gf in lingerie .. Yes it does work or tell them say siht n sugar.... works too. Or if it's a kid tell'em the lion's gonna eat you for lunch .... works every time !

Other things I'll say. If it's a bloke ... think Jen Aniston, Halli Berry ect, or for a lady Jonny Depp/ B Pitt/

bottom line .. the power of suggestion. Lots of space here for you to get creative

Canon 5d Mkii ~ f/4 24-105L USM ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ~dye Speedlite 580EX Mkii. Mitsubishi CP-D707-DW dye-sub double printer. Bowen 500's & Lastolite 400's flash heads. Lastolite TriFlector

sponsored links

3,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
jokes, comments. What do you do or say to get a smile for a picture.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.