Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 17 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Few Shots of Landon

JHaegs
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2011 19:49 |  #1

These are in no way artistic, attempts at professional photos, or anything of that nature. Just sharing a few pics I snapped of my 9mo son, Landon. These were taken with my T1i and I believe I had my 200mm 2.8 on. Feel free to edit or show me different looks since my PP skills (or lack of) are still in the works. I currently have no lighting equipment, so the built in flash was used- I know, I suck... Haha

C&C isn't "welcome", it's "NEEDED" :D

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i270.photobucke​t.com …ghtLinez/JHaegs​/jeep1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i270.photobucke​t.com …ez/JHaegs/IMG_3​7021_1.jpg (external link)

Canon 50D | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Gear/Feedback/WTB/For Sale

sponsored links
JHaegs
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2011 19:50 |  #2

.....and my favorite because of that tooth! Although the DOF isn't the best. :(

http://i270.photobucke​t.com …Linez/JHaegs/IM​G_4111.jpg (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,562 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 17, 2011 23:29 |  #3

Too much contrast.... he looks a little scary instead of soft and baby-like.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

JHaegs
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2011 00:24 |  #4

Haha yeah he does kinda... These are pretty much SOOC except for a few things. I'll bump the contrast down and see how that looks. First baby and just got my first SLR so it's all a bit foreign to me.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan

Praemunitus
554 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2011 18:37 |  #5

Did you try and whiten the eyes? They stand out really badly.

Contrast is off, the white balance also appears to be off and the focus is soft on a few.

That said, the 2nd shot has potential even though the blacks/contrast are really high. I've attached an edit of it that I ran through Lightroom really quickly. The light is a bit harsh and you can only fix so much of that but it's at least a cute shot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Flickr (external link)

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2011 18:49 |  #6

Praemunitus wrote in post #12052237 (external link)
Did you try and whiten the eyes? They stand out really badly.

Contrast is off, the white balance also appears to be off and the focus is soft on a few.

That said, the 2nd shot has potential even though the blacks/contrast are really high. I've attached an edit of it that I ran through Lightroom really quickly. The light is a bit harsh and you can only fix so much of that but it's at least a cute shot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Much agreed. the eyes are over cooked. I think that these need warmed up a tad and softened.

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

Praemunitus
554 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2011 22:07 |  #7

For sure. I just wanted to show what a bit of lightening and less contrast would do.

I crudely softened and adjusted the white balance as well, in the one below (30 second edit so it's obviously far from perfect since I took off half his eyebrows, etc, etc)...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2011 07:46 |  #8

Praemunitus wrote in post #12053305 (external link)
For sure. I just wanted to show what a bit of lightening and less contrast would do.

I crudely softened and adjusted the white balance as well, in the one below (30 second edit so it's obviously far from perfect since I took off half his eyebrows, etc, etc)...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Much better for a 30 sec edit......the eyes are still to white though....imo.;)

Bill (external link)

Praemunitus
554 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 20, 2011 09:55 |  #9

I didn't try to pull anything back into the eyes. I don't know if he washed them out or edited them into being so white. I didn't try the recovery slider at all...

JHaegs
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 18:24 |  #10

Thanks everyone- I have a monitor that is on it's last leg, so colors and contrast look horrible on it. It wasnt until I looked at the pics on my iPhone that I noticed how screwed up they were- looked good on my screen though! We have a new one on the way, so hopefully it will help out. I'll edit a few others on my brother's computer that I took this weekend to get some more feedback.

Thanks again!

JHaegs
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 18:29 |  #11

By the way, every shot I take of him, the whites of his eyes have a blue tint to them so I sometimes use the desaturation sponge. Unfortunately it also takes away any natural redness and makes them kind of flat. I'll screw around a bit more to see if there's a better approach. The lightening of the eyes was because they appeared so dark on my screen. Again, some practice and a new screen should do wonders!

bonnielauper
73 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 20, 2011 19:21 |  #12

I have started just lightly dodging the whites of eyes, and a little around the insides of the irises too. Lightens them up nicely but still looks natural. There are so many ways to do it, this is just my current favorite.

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2011 21:06 |  #13

bonnielauper wrote in post #12058541 (external link)
I have started just lightly dodging the whites of eyes, and a little around the insides of the irises too. Lightens them up nicely but still looks natural. There are so many ways to do it, this is just my current favorite.

this is a good way....and make it it's own layer as well to lower opacity after you view it and see that it might be too strong.

Bill (external link)

Tim ­ Park
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2011 15:36 |  #14

JHaegs, you have a cute boy and a very capable camera, so I just wanted to give you my thoughts. I know you asked for pp tips, and the edits posted by others are very nice, but rather than trying to concentrate on "fixing" these shots, I would encourage you to practice with natural daylight near a window (since you don't have any other lighting but your onboard flash). Your 50 f/1.8 can produce some very nice shots. Your 200mm will be way too long (on your 1.6x) for most indoor applications. Your camera/lens combo has so much potential, and with just a few simple changes, I know you'll begin to see some nice photos! Happy shooting!

Tim

www.timparkphoto.com (external link)
5DmkII, 5D
24LII, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
580EXII, 580EX (2)

JHaegs
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2011 17:23 |  #15

Thanks everyone. I took some good shots with the 200mm this weekend while camping. As soon as I get a chance to sit down and get them on the computer, I'll post them. I will take all of the tips into consideration while editing, and try not to overdo it. It's hard because I have never worked with Photoshop, so I don't know what half of the stuff means! For me, it's hard to look at a picture and say "Ok, this is what needs to be done..."

All in due time though!

sponsored links

2,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
Few Shots of Landon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.