Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How have Canon's Warranty Service treated you?"
Repair even for free even out of warranty.
38%
Honored warranty.
54%
Made up excuses and not honor warranty.
8%

150 voters, 150 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 18, 2011 18:50 |  #31

DetlevCM wrote in post #12046517 (external link)
Remember that not everybody lives in the US.

You mean the world does NOT revolve around North America between Canada and Mexico? Sorry for being the ugly American--but the talk was centered around service in Virginia.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 18, 2011 18:55 |  #32

dave kadolph wrote in post #12046547 (external link)
You mean the world does NOT revolve around North America between Canada and Mexico? Sorry for being the ugly American--but the talk was centered around service in Virginia.

And then it veered off to warranties that vary depending on where you live.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,283 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2011 22:28 |  #33

nothing to do with canon but my husband had a recent situation with an LG laptop, it was about three months old when we noticed the LCD screen showed blotchy colours in some areas so took it back to the seller for warranted repairs, the story we got back from LG was that it must be our fault, that we must have put excessive pressure in some way on the screen, like it it had been packed in a suitcase with some really heavy item on top of it. seriously the laptop had rarely been used. We felt it was not worth arguing about and just continue to put up with it. This however has made me more inclined to buy stuff online with less of a warranty. When I had a problem with my 300D shutter years ago I chose to ignore canon service and go with a camera dealer in Perth (my capital city) who repairs all brands from canon to hasselblad. It took 6 days where Id have been looking at 6 weeks if Id sent it off to canon. and the repairs cost were not too bad.

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 18, 2011 22:55 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #34

So you have a sense of entitlement and then make an emotional decision to swap to Nikon in hopes they don't do the same thing? Good luck with that.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2011 23:50 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Agent 655 wrote in post #12043656 (external link)
If it is a cracked LCD they can see that from just looking at it in good light. Also about the only way to crack an LCD is to drop it or hit it...

I worked at an electronic repair location for a while and learned that all to often the owner would tend to exagerate how well they took care of the item.... I have seen dozens of cracked laptop screens where the owner would claim how well they took care of it, one time you could make out that the screen still had an imprint of the car keys they left on the keyboard and shut the screen on :)

That being said I would still want to believe you that you never dropped it, so they should be able to prove that it was indeed dropped. Ask to talk to a superisor, and if that doesn't work keep going up the chain. Eventually you will get to someone who agree to have it fixed to get you out of their hair!

I never dropped it or hit it. No cracks, it just suddenly died...

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2011 23:52 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

sharrowm wrote in post #12044128 (external link)
I think we need some clarification from the op:

IF the screen is "cracked" then I would have to side with Canon. I can't imagine how a screen could crack without the camera being mishandled in some way.

IF the screen is "broken" (simply does not work) then I think Canon should honor the warranty unless they have some proof that the op mishandled the camera.

It is really not clear with the info provided whether "broken" means cracked or something else.

Not cracked, just broken or malfunctioned.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2011 23:57 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

S.Horton wrote in post #12045023 (external link)
It actually does not matter how you feel at this point.

You know your options: pay to fix, no fix, try a complaint (again)

And if you loaned the camera out, or someone else handled it, it may have been broken and you just didn't know.

If you put it into a pack, and that was impacted by something else, could have broken it.

You're right on the options Canon's being real dumb about it, at least the employees in the Virginia service center are. If this were in Japan they would've probably fixed it no questions asked.

I never loaned it to anyone and never impacted by something else cause I only put that in a my flipside 200 and that bag is cushioned well with only the camera in one compartment and lense in another compartment.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:00 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

czynot wrote in post #12045025 (external link)
Any drop to cause the lcd to break will show damage on housing. Any pressure to crack LCD will crack housing plastic lcd protector. A Crack LCD WILL still show back light. you will see the crack on lcd once turn on. But OP say no display. This is bad LCD and under warranty. I never seen a Crack LCD with LED backlight without Backlight.
I bet the service guy cracked it when opening the camera and blame it on the user.

You are right, no backlight on the LCD and the screen is not cracked. They lady on the phone said they did NOT even open up the camera yet and declared it "broken LCD" and told me if I want to get it fixed I would need to pay $250. But I mean com'on they didn't even open it up to see WHY it doesn't work and just gave me a price.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:11 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

merlin2375 wrote in post #12045039 (external link)
To me, it sounds like it got damaged during shipping. If you shipped it with no cracks and they received it with a crack (one substantial enough that they didn't even have to take it apart to see the breakage) then the shipper probably broke it.

Did you ship it with insurance? I don't think they are accusing you to be malicious but rather, what should they do, they opened the box and it was broken...

They didn't say there is a crack on the first phone call just said "we didn't take it apart but the LCD is broken, so we need to get new parts for it." then on the second phone conversation thry told me there is a "crack". I told them there is no crack, no physical damage and then they said "maybe you dropped it."

Yes I did ship it with insurance via UPS, but i packed it with a lot of bubble wrappings so it would never have been damaged during shipping and Canon employees told me it was "cracked" on the second phone conversation but didn't say it on the first one. I think they're just trying to cover their lie with a lie.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:14 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

crn3371 wrote in post #12045102 (external link)
Looks like the OP has given up. Camera is listed in Marketplace.

There's not much I can do just they're the giant and I'm just another weak consumer that'll just have to take the loss and never pay a penny for a Canon product ever again.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:15 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

pasm365 wrote in post #12045338 (external link)
Read through my reply and think, you will get it.
Which other company offers 1 year warranty for lenses?
Which other company still use 80's overstock lens caps?
Denying warranty is a way to save a few bucks, the pratice a cheapo would do.
From OP's decription, this is a case of denying warranty without examine the camera, hoping the customer will either pay or go away.

Darn right, they didn't even open up the camera and gave me a price without explaining to me why it doesn't work or what caused it.

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:18 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12045450 (external link)
I think that this is a key point here. With the best will in the world, we only have the OP's side of the story.

I can't prove anything because Canon guys are smart they didn't say aything on the email for me to keep a record of what they're telling me, in an email they said replied with the cost of thr price that's it. All information and words exchanged was through a phone line which I did not record and cannot record because it would not be legal to do so.

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 19, 2011 00:35 |  #43

I think you need to escalate your complaint in writing to the CEO of Canon. Despite the problems in Japan the company will continue to maintain its business....

Trevor

craigslistpost604
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2011 00:39 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

Sportidi wrote in post #12048170 (external link)
I think you need to escalate your complaint in writing to the CEO of Canon. Despite the problems in Japan the company will continue to maintain its business....

I don't think the CEO will read my letter...lol
But I am going to file a complaint/report with BBB.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 19, 2011 05:01 |  #45

pasm365 wrote in post #12043523 (external link)
This is unacceptable. Canon is the stingiest camera maker. The 1 year lens warranty is pathetic comparing with other makers, also look at the Canon lens cap and hood. If Canon can find way to save 0.01, they will.

Nikon is not much better. A friend of mine sent a 3 month old lens for checkup, the lens worked perfectly just not as sharp as he expected. Nikon told him that the lens was dropped and beyond repair, which is totally B.S. That's a consumer grade lens though, he told me that when his pro grade gear needed service, Nikon is superb.

My guess is: if same thing happened to 7D or 5Dii, they might treat differently. I would try to contact the higher level manager in Canon service, keep arguing your case. They should fix it for free if there is no apparent damage to prove "mishandling".

Sell one of us your Canon equipment and Buy Nikon! Have had nothing but good service from Canon since 1972.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

sponsored links

19,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEWARE! Canon Service Center accused me of mishandled and won't honor warranty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.