Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Exec: "We don't need a compact (mirrorless) camera system"

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2011 12:53 |  #1

http://www.canonrumors​.com …-a-compact-camera-system/ (external link)

….according to the head of consumer imaging in Europe

Canon doesn’t need to introduce a mirrorless compact system camera (CSC), according to the head of consumer imaging in Europe, as the company does not have a problem selling its existing compact and DSLR products. In an interview with Amateur Photographer, Rainer Fuehres said that compact system cameras have been introduced by manufacturers that find it difficult to compete in the digital SLR market. Not ruling out the possibility that Canon will enter this area, Rainer stressed that if it did the reason would not be because Canon felt it had to.

---------------

CR Editorial
I pretty much disagree with everything Mr. Fuehres said in regards to Canon’s place in the mirrorless world.

Point one, there’s no way Canon as a company thinks, “hey the stuff we sell now is all we need to sell, selling more stuff isn’t worthwhile”. Canon makes money very well and selling stuff in new expanding markets is a no brainer.

Could Canon do it differently than Sony, m4/3 and Samsung? I think they could. There have been rumors Nikon will introduce a mirrorless camera geared to the pro market. If you go after the pro market, you don’t have to worry as much about volume and you’re not competing directly with the consumer level products other manufacturers are producing. If your pro mirrorless camera does well, you can slowly work your way down to the consumer market instead of the other way around.

From my personal experience and what I’ve seen, 80% of the people I know with mirrorless cameras do not own SLRs. That’s a lot of customers Canon does not have. If you fear you’re going to have your DSLR sales cannibalized by mirrorless cameras, just make sure it’s you cannibalizing them.

I will note, most every M9 owner I know has an DSLR system as well. Canon doesn’t need a $7000 mirrorless camera, but something in the $3000 range will give them a solid margin and they don’t have to put crazy amounts of manufacturing resources behind it.

Now his statement about others entering the field because they can’t compete in the DSLR market is somewhat true. Although there’s one company hasn’t had a problem competing in the DSLR field and is doing very well in the mirrorless market, and that’s Sony. They have the resources to match Canon every step of the way.

Canon will introduce a mirrorless camera, and no one in the company will tip their hat to what may be coming. However, don’t speak about yourself that you’re the supreme company and you don’t need to adapt to changing consumer demands.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

sponsored links
Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 19, 2011 09:00 |  #2

Okay

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Jon_Doh
861 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 19, 2011 09:11 |  #3

Fine. But what is Canon going to do when Nikon starts producing them? And they will because they already have prototypes out being tested. Is Canon just going to fall behind again and sit there scratching their butts wondering how they're going to catch up? Maybe they'll just sit and scratch because they haven't caught up yet and just keep falling further behind the competition.

I use a Kodak Brownie

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2011 10:38 as a reply to  @ Jon_Doh's post |  #4

If Canon doesn't want to expand their sales I guess that is up to them but it seems a little short-sighted. Looks like to me they may be worried that a mirrorless camera would take away sales from their more profitable DSLRs. I bought an NEX-3 to have something smaller to carry around when my 7D is impractical. I might have purchased a Canon if they had something available........

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2011 10:45 |  #5

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #12049715 (external link)
I bought an NEX-3 to have something smaller to carry around when my 7D is impractical. I might have purchased a Canon if they had something available........

Same here re something smaller to conveniently tote...purchased an Olympus E-P2 and loving it, but would have leaned towards Canon if they had something to offer in this realm.

Jim

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,349 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2011 11:13 |  #6

I have a GF-1.

Really I don't care if Canon offers an EVIL camera or not as it doesn't really have much effect. More and better EVIL cameras would be great, but since a Canon EVIL mount is not going to be compatible with EOS lenses I'm free to buy my EVIL camera from any maker with no 'system' concerns.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 19, 2011 11:24 |  #7

My opinion (worth literally two cents) is that a camera is compact if it can fit in a guy's shirt pocket or a woman's small handbag. If you have to strap it to your waist or hang it from your neck it isn't compact.

Thank you. bw!

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 19, 2011 11:35 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #8

I don't see how they can't make a mirrorless camera. The mirrorless market is huge and growing at a rate of 60% per yer. It is even predicted to pass DSLR sales by 2012 or 2013. In India Samsumg and Sony I think are fighting for top spots. Canon would be foolish to ignore that.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 19, 2011 11:55 |  #9

Jon_Doh wrote in post #12049372 (external link)
Fine. But what is Canon going to do when Nikon starts producing them? And they will because they already have prototypes out being tested. Is Canon just going to fall behind again and sit there scratching their butts wondering how they're going to catch up? Maybe they'll just sit and scratch because they haven't caught up yet and just keep falling further behind the competition.

I don't think that Canon gives a hoot what Nikon is going to do. It's pretty obvious that Canon makes the camera's they want to make and think will sell. As far as Canon sitting around scratching their butt, I doon't believe that they are. They are already thinking two series ahead of what they are selling now. You know that you don't have to buy Canon don't you? If you want a mirrorless camera you can buy something different than a Canon brand.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2011 11:56 |  #10

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12049937 (external link)
My opinion (worth literally two cents) is that a camera is compact if it can fit in a guy's shirt pocket or a woman's small handbag. If you have to strap it to your waist or hang it from your neck it isn't compact.

That's the dilemma I was having when I bought the NEX-3. I was also considering the S95 but I figured most of shots with the camera would be indoors and the NEX-3 was better at higher ISO. I have a Canon SD1400 that I can borrow from work if I really need something pocketable.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2011 12:02 |  #11

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12049937 (external link)

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. The Olympus cameras are nearly compact enough with the kit 14-42 lenses, and are even moreso if you have a pancake prime attached. This thanks to the Micro 4/3 sensor.

The Sony NEX series, with it's APS-C sensor size is a great, very compact camera body. Once you throw on the 18-55mm lens, it is, once again, fairly big and bulky.

I'm of the thought that, for this type of camera to really succeed as a compact, SLR "replacement," the lenses are going to need to be just as compact as the camera body's can be; that means a small sensor (4/3's or smaller?).

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

StayLucky
719 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:17 |  #12

Does anyone think Canon will ever disappear? Or be bought out/swallowed up by another company? Be it Nikon or another large company?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,349 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2011 12:25 |  #13

StayLucky wrote in post #12050215 (external link)
Does anyone think Canon will ever disappear? Or be bought out/swallowed up by another company? Be it Nikon or another large company?

Canon is a much larger company than most of the other camera makers (like Nikon) as Canon is actually a copier / printer company that also makes cameras.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2011 12:59 |  #14

StayLucky wrote in post #12050215 (external link)

No. Despite their camera department falling behind they have a huge number of other industries they're involved in. I'd be more worried about Canon eating up Nikon for their AF/IQ performance.

Gear

bolaberlim
90 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 19, 2011 13:06 |  #15

bjyoder wrote in post #12050147 (external link)
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. The Olympus cameras are nearly compact enough with the kit 14-42 lenses, and are even moreso if you have a pancake prime attached. This thanks to the Micro 4/3 sensor.

The Sony NEX series, with it's APS-C sensor size is a great, very compact camera body. Once you throw on the 18-55mm lens, it is, once again, fairly big and bulky.

I'm of the thought that, for this type of camera to really succeed as a compact, SLR "replacement," the lenses are going to need to be just as compact as the camera body's can be; that means a small sensor (4/3's or smaller?).

I think a G12 is too big. Compact for me would be s95 or smaller. Also my use for a compact means that it has to be small, sturdy, light, and cheap, so I can have it in the glove compartment, pocket, backpack or wherever and not worry about loosing it or damaging it. EVIL makes no sense to me. It's practically the same size as an SLR. I think they are competing in the compact business and eating market share from them. I don't think that anyone that want's an SLR would consider EVIL as a replacement. They might consider it as a backup, I guess, but not as a replacement IMHO. There's just no upside... But I can see a compact user considering an upgrade to a EVL instead of an SLR. But as such, won't they eventually consider an upgrade from an EVIL to an SLR?

sponsored links

4,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Exec: "We don't need a compact (mirrorless) camera system"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.