Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

pen or gf2?

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 19, 2011 15:55 |  #1

cant decide between the 2....please help

it will serve is my main walk around activity camera

pros? and cons?

thanks

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

sponsored links
Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 19, 2011 18:48 |  #2

I would say pen for its IBIS. I have a GF1 and just got a EPL-2 for this (I use a 20/1.7 and 35/2) neither with IS, which is nice to have but not essential. I also wanted to be able to do some some simple in camera editing as I am about to do a trip and want to be able to make some prints in remote spots with a battery operated printer. I don't know if I will need to do any edits but I can if needed. I also like the Oly kit lens for it size. It may be handy to have in a pocket.

Olympus has a better quality but larger add on viewfinder if that matters to you.

Overall they seem to be very comparable cameras. Too many buttons that get pressed too easily if the biggest drawback on both. Proprietary USB connection also is very bad (why? why? why?).

Spare batteries for the EPL-2 cannot be found yet and no Adobe RAW support yet. Other models are OK on these points.

irwaffles
161 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 19, 2011 18:53 |  #3

Quad wrote in post #12052301 (external link)
I would say pen for its IBIS. I have a GF1 and just got a EPL-2 for this (I use a 20/1.7 and 35/2) neither with IS, which is nice to have but not essential. I also wanted to be able to do some some simple in camera editing as I am about to do a trip and want to be able to make some prints in remote spots with a battery operated printer. I don't know if I will need to do any edits but I can if needed. I also like the Oly kit lens for it size. It may be handy to have in a pocket.

Don't all Olympus bodies have built in IS anyways? So the lens wouldn't need it.
-------
Here is the DigitalRev video where they compare GF2 vs. E-PL2:
http://www.youtube.com …ature=channel_v​ideo_title (external link)

But the tl;dr (or tl;d'watch') would be that there isn't any feature from either camera that makes it clearly the superior choice.

The E-PL2 has art filters, but if you PP anyways it shouldn't be a deciding factor, and the GF2 has a touch screen (although apparently not a very responsive one).

You can use any m43 lens with either body, so lens choice shouldn't be a deciding factor either.

I'd say play with both and see which one you like using better. I borrowed my friends E-PL2 and I like the controls of it, so I'd probably lean towards that over the GF2.

flickr (external link)
5d mark 2 - Canon 24-70 2.8

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2011 19:49 |  #4

GF-1 is better than GF-2, so you should be comparing the GF-1 to the PEN.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 20, 2011 09:38 |  #5

irwaffles wrote in post #12052323 (external link)
Don't all Olympus bodies have built in IS anyways? So the lens wouldn't need it.

Correct, hence one point to Olympus for users of non-ยต4/3 Panasonic lenses.

kathlenrt
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 20, 2011 13:08 |  #6

Quad wrote in post #12052301 (external link)

Olympus has a better quality but larger add on viewfinder if that matters to you.

Overall they seem to be very comparable cameras. Too many buttons that get pressed too easily if the biggest drawback on both. Proprietary USB connection also is very bad (why? why? why?).

Spare batteries for the EPL-2 cannot be found yet and no Adobe RAW support yet. Other models are OK on these points.

Thanks for the information. It helped me a lot. :)

T (external link)h (external link)i (external link)s (external link) i (external link)s (external link) a (external link)n (external link) e (external link)x (external link)c (external link)e (external link)l (external link)l (external link)e (external link)n (external link)t (external link) s (external link)i (external link)t (external link)e (external link) I (external link) love (external link) i (external link)t (external link)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 20, 2011 20:04 |  #7

kathlenrt wrote in post #12056436 (external link)
Thanks for the information. It helped me a lot. :)

Your welcome and welcome (to POTN)!!!

sponsored links

1,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
pen or gf2?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.