Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tax free shopping spree can end soon.

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2011 18:37 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Seems that government does not like that some online shoppers do not like paying taxes.
http://news.yahoo.com …c_amazon_online​_sales_tax (external link)

sponsored links
BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 20, 2011 21:18 |  #2

The leeches need more money to squander.............. :(

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

p4olom
354 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2011 22:57 |  #3

i hope these laws dont pass.

7D

Refresh ­ Image
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2011 23:40 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

p4olom wrote in post #12059833 (external link)
i hope these laws dont pass.

It all depends who has stronger lobby; the online companies like amazon or local retailers like wallmart.
To be honest the latter are in an ufair position, circuit city and compusa went under partially because of inability to compete with the online retailers. Bestbuy is heading that way too.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2011 00:01 |  #5

Refresh Image wrote in post #12060022 (external link)
It all depends who has stronger lobby; the online companies like amazon or local retailers like wallmart.
To be honest the latter are in an ufair position, circuit city and compusa went under partially because of inability to compete with the online retailers. Bestbuy is heading that way too.

On the other hand, it's kinda "unfair" to online retailers too, consider shipping time + costs put them in disadvantages.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Bokehlicious
809 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 21, 2011 00:13 |  #6

O California has tried a many times to get Amazon to charge their customers, I'll believe it when it happens, and if that happens...I'll be a sad man.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 00:27 |  #7

Bokehlicious wrote in post #12060190 (external link)
O California has tried a many times to get Amazon to charge their customers, I'll believe it when it happens, and if that happens...I'll be a sad man.

They did pass one law in CA and it was ruled unconstitutional. These laws are basically 'backdoor' laws claiming that sites like Amazon have a physical presence in their state if affiliates are located there. These backdoor laws are also being challenged and I wouldn't be surprised if they get tossed as well.

Flickr (external link)

Refresh ­ Image
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 21, 2011 00:37 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

HyperYagami wrote in post #12060141 (external link)
On the other hand, it's kinda "unfair" to online retailers too, consider shipping time + costs put them in disadvantages.

Don't think that the brick and mortar stores do not have expenses.
But I actually would want to see sales taxes to go away for both local and online retailers.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2011 02:04 |  #9

I doubt they will pass. If they do, I will just move to a state without sales tax, lol

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 21, 2011 05:50 |  #10

HyperYagami wrote in post #12060141 (external link)

It costs the grocery store as much as it cost Amazon if not more to stock a jar of peanut butter on the shelves. One major difference is that Amazon never has to lose money due to limited retail or display space. If products don't move fast enough they can be pushed into a back corner of the warehouse until they sell.

With retail the slower moving products often have to be shipped back to the warehouse, liquidated or thrown away to recover that space. Amazon also saves a fortune by not having to pay anyone to count cash being that it's all automated by computers. Many stores have started adding self check out lanes because cashiers add up to millions of dollars when you have thousands of them.

Refresh Image wrote in post #12060288 (external link)
But I actually would want to see sales taxes to go away for both local and online retailers.

Yea right after they close the libraries, parks, schools, courts, police and fire stations along with everything else that cost tax dollars operate.

I guess it would be nice to live in a world where everyone works for nothing and has nothing to show for it.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2011 06:10 |  #11

Two Words: Flat Tax

10% on anything you make or spend. Done.

No tax brackets, no loopholes, no exemptions, no muss, no fuss.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,999 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 21, 2011 07:51 |  #12

Refresh Image wrote in post #12060022 (external link)

Yes and usually the online retailers have overall cheaper prices so even if you add tax & shipping the item(s) is/are still cheaper...so the whole tax arguement being the largest reason people buy online goes out the window...that being said, if the prices are comparable I will buy local, but a lot of what I buy online I cant find locally....whose fault is that..
and heck there are enough taxes paid on the items if you really added up all that is paid to get the product to you.
Tax on the building where it is stored, tax on payroll for the workers, tax on the fuel used to transport the item, taxes & fees on the connection used for online presence...and thats just what I can think of off the top of my head..(yes I know brick & mortar have a lot of the same expenses & maybe more)
It all comes down to govt need & greed...far to many would rather not cut spending, but continue to raise taxes...I guess they all thought the good times would last forever....surprise...​where it will end is anybodys guess..:(

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Refresh ­ Image
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 21, 2011 10:18 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

isoMorphic wrote in post #12061003 (external link)
Yea right after they close the libraries, parks, schools, courts, police and fire stations along with everything else that cost tax dollars operate.

I guess it would be nice to live in a world where everyone works for nothing and has nothing to show for it.

You argument makes no sense to me. We do pay income tax, property tax and couple hundreds more taxes. Most of those are fixed. The sales tax however by definition makes people to curb shopping. In the end it hurts economy much more than other taxes. And in case you did not know some states do not have sales tax and doing well. Others like California have very substantial sales taxes that in increasing all the time and are in a big financial hole.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 21, 2011 10:27 |  #14

Here in Michigan, I am required to pay "sales" tax on all of my online purchases at the time I file my annual state tax return.

My Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2011 10:57 |  #15

runninmann wrote in post #12062115 (external link)
Here in Michigan, I am required to pay "sales" tax on all of my online purchases at the time I file my annual state tax return.

I think all states do that, but it is nearly unenforceable.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

7,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tax free shopping spree can end soon.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.