Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 21 Mar 2011 (Monday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Knife Thread

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Gallery: 567 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 07, 2021 17:15 |  #1771

Cool! That Reese Weiland is a chunky little sucker. ;-)a Has me recalling that when the tactical theme started it was nearly unheard of to use 1/4" .250 bar stock in a folder. The frame lock using 1/8" or 3/16" liners. Although Chris Reeve's Sebenza of the time were using thicker Ti which was followed by many makers.

sponsored links
katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2021 17:22 |  #1772

ra40 wrote in post #19219922 (external link)
Cool! That Reese Weiland is a chunky little sucker. ;-)a Has me recalling that when the tactical theme started it was nearly unheard of to use 1/4" .250 bar stock in a folder. The frame lock using 1/8" or 3/16" liners. Although Chris Reeve's Sebenza of the time were using thicker Ti which was followed by many makers.

It's a beastly thing, but oh so fun to carry. Had it at work today, didn't feel it in the pocket, but knew it was there. Cut cardboard and banding like a champ. Had a little struggle through shrink wrap but did fine. I noticed a slight curve to the edge, but I can fix that with some re-profiling if I find it necessary. The only real drawback is the width...the scales are so far apart you can easily get your fingers in there and cut the heck out of them if you aren't careful. Had to make sure when I put my hand in my pocket I kept it against the scale and not where the edge was.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by katodog.

Apr 10, 2021 11:54 |  #1773

Playing with an idea I had for this jigsaw dragon I made a long time ago. It typically hangs on my office wall, and while looking at it one I day I had the idea to put some carbon fiber on it and use it as a background. Not quite refined, the grey carbon fiber was a quick lay on cardboard and it shows, and the dragon isn't as good as I hoped it would be...but then again it was just a random thought I had

Does it work at all?

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51107404511_38dbd56753_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kSb​NNK  (external link) SMKE Reese Weiland Fatty Slash 005 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 10, 2021 20:29 |  #1774

One of my older pieces getting some photo practice.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 10, 2021 20:34 |  #1775

Jim Sornberger - 20'th anniversary Bay Area Knife Collectors Association club knife from 1999.

HOSTED PHOTO

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 14, 2021 14:34 |  #1776

Devin Thomas raindrop 1095/Ni damascus blade and bolsters, Wyoming jade stone handle.

HOSTED PHOTO

hammer418
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 14, 2021 15:30 |  #1777

The (2) above are real beauties, ra40 ! :-)

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 14, 2021 16:45 |  #1778

I've had the CRKT Pilar for a while now, just recently bought the Pilar III, and decided if I had two I might as well get the third. CRKT Pillar II...so I got them out of order, so what...

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51115644312_63c5f306aa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kSV​3dh  (external link) CRKT Pilar II 001 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 15, 2021 18:47 |  #1779

Oh my, the random crap you find when looking in the garage...

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51118300256_5f611a223a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kT9​DJq  (external link) Cobra 001 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 16, 2021 11:56 |  #1780

katodog wrote in post #19223473 (external link)
Oh my, the random crap you find when looking in the garage...

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kT9​DJq  (external link) Cobra 001 (external link) by Edward Durbin (external link), on Flickr

That looks difficult to handle

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by ra40.

Apr 16, 2021 14:11 |  #1781

Iconic knife! Herman Schneider did some fantastic work in the industry. Much how Jimmy Lile and Gil Hibben did for the Rambo knives.

This is one of Gil's limited pieces I'd photographed in '06 featuring Linda Karst's scrimshaw. Shot on film with the Bronica 645.

HOSTED PHOTO

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2021 16:19 |  #1782

corythosaurus wrote in post #19223678 (external link)
That looks difficult to handle

It's a POS for sure. An old movie "Cobra" with Sly Stallone...the bad guy had a knife like this. Popular back in the day, but obviously crap if it's been in the garage for so long without me remembering I owned it.

Win
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 18, 2021 08:58 |  #1783

ra40 wrote in post #19223720 (external link)
Iconic knife! Herman Schneider did some fantastic work in the industry. Much how Jimmy Lile and Gil Hibben did for the Rambo knives.

This is one of Gil's limited pieces I'd photographed in '06 featuring Linda Karst's scrimshaw. Shot on film with the Bronica 645.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ra40 in
./showthread.php?p=192​23720&i=i254746638
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

You've got some really nice pieces, thanks for sharing. I've got Bill Ankrom folder, scrimmed by Linda, with a tiger, engraving by Fred Harrington.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​om (external link)

ra40
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 18, 2021 12:38 |  #1784

Win wrote in post #19224500 (external link)
You've got some really nice pieces, thanks for sharing. I've got Bill Ankrom folder, scrimmed by Linda, with a tiger, engraving by Fred Harrington.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Win in
./showthread.php?p=192​24500&i=i80139821
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Beautiful! Have long liked Bill's work! Linda's scrim as well. I've not seen much of Fred's work though know his reputation spoken by others. Thanks for sharing that. How long have you had that knife?

Win
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 19, 2021 09:56 |  #1785

ra40 wrote in post #19224613 (external link)
Beautiful! Have long liked Bill's work! Linda's scrim as well. I've not seen much of Fred's work though know his reputation spoken by others. Thanks for sharing that. How long have you had that knife?

I've had this since the mid 90s, ordered it at one of the NY shows. I've become good friends with Bill and have owned at least a dozen of his knives.

3/4 size Chute with polished Big Horn Sheep, sheath by Paul Long:

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

647,568 views & 3,130 likes for this thread
The Knife Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.