Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Eg-S Focusing Screen

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2011 22:38 |  #1

If I never use manual focus and only use auto focus, do you guys think the Canon Eg-S Focusing Screen will be useful? I am debating if I should get the Eg-S and the Eg-D, but would rather get the Eg-D if the Eg-S is not that useful with auto focus.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ision_Matte_Foc​using.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …uper_Precision_​Matte.html (external link)

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

sponsored links
Spaniard
424 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 22, 2011 22:41 |  #2

I think when you look at the view finder. It will be dark.

Derrick
Burn Money Project : Canon 5DMKII//24L MKII//50L//Speedlite 580 EXII.

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2011 22:44 |  #3

The EG-S will still allow you to see a more accurate view of what will be in focus if you use fast lenses with shallow depth of field. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of landscape pictures or such, then you'll definitely find more use out of the grid (EG-D).

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2011 22:49 |  #4

wunhang wrote in post #12073870 (external link)
The EG-S will still allow you to see a more accurate view of what will be in focus if you use fast lenses with shallow depth of field. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of landscape pictures or such, then you'll definitely find more use out of the grid (EG-D).

I don't plan on shooting a lot of landscapes, maybe a shot here and there. I was just thinking that it might help compose a picture. :confused:

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2011 00:03 |  #5

danny819 wrote in post #12073896 (external link)
I don't plan on shooting a lot of landscapes, maybe a shot here and there. I was just thinking that it might help compose a picture. :confused:

Yes, the rule of thirds can be done more readily with the EG-D screen (or any compositional guidelines). My personal opinion is that I much rather see the focus by using the EG-S especially with the shallow depth of field your primes allow.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

danny819
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2011 00:08 |  #6

wunhang wrote in post #12074236 (external link)
Yes, the rule of thirds can be done more readily with the EG-D screen (or any compositional guidelines). My personal opinion is that I much rather see the focus by using the EG-S especially with the shallow depth of field your primes allow.

Yea that is true. I often do not realize a part of my subject is out of focus until I look at the picture on the computer. The EG-S will definitely be helpful.

40dbaby
516 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 23, 2011 02:43 |  #7

well, your viewfinder wont be dark, looking at your prime lineup. But since you have a sigma lens (or any lens) where MFA is needed, AF may have missed and its nice to see so.

Only an untrained eye can appreciate the sharpness of a lens...
5DII | Zeiss 50 MP | Sigmalux | 85 1.8 | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 100-400L | 580ex II | 430ex II

sponsored links

2,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Eg-S Focusing Screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.