Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 22 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2011 Chevy Cruze Sedan LS

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by PhotosGuy. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2011 23:03 |  #1

Edit: (As most of us know, photobucket has held us up for ransom, so I've attached a few images.)
I noticed some good "car light" Saturday, so I ran out to grab a few shots.

1. Here's the image without any PS work.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

After:

HOSTED PHOTO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. I got bored so I kicked in some colors. I think I'd change the color order next time.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. Still bored,... so I went for a ride. It seems to have a neat safety feature... the warning lights come on when you pass 130mph! ;D

IMAGE NOT FOUND

7. I've wanted so try out this location for some time, & usually I'll take a pic so I can remember what it looks like. Sadly, the light wasn't all that great, & the car badly needed a wash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

8. Another possible location & I don't like this one much. The background is the windows from the building, but the building is too tall & it's throwing way too many highlights in the hood & top. I tried to blur the trees, but the zoom doesn't work all that well.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2011 13:09 |  #2

majority seem to be under exposed with distracting back grounds. theres even trees growing out of the roof.
the reflections in 3 would be perfect if not for the trunk and rear of the roof
the way the horizon and the roof line are close bothers me for some reason
some shots, the car seems a little flat, could be the lighting though
The sky looks to have some nice colours though

Edit - how do you like the car? i have yet to hear anything from actual owners / drivers of the cruze

My 500px (external link)

JTW_Jr
549 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 23, 2011 20:09 |  #3

team haymaker wrote in post #12077259 (external link)
majority seem to be under exposed with distracting back grounds. theres even trees growing out of the roof.

+ 1

If you were actually doing that speed in an area like that , you need to have your head examined ! :rolleyes:

Canon 60D ,50 F1.8 , 17-85 , 55-250, 24-105 , Sigma 70-200

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 23, 2011 21:29 |  #4

team haymaker wrote in post #12077259 (external link)
theres even trees growing out of the roof.

I've said it before, "A tree or two growing out of the roof are a miSteaKe. A group of trees are a background." ;)

Edit - how do you like the car?

It's OK. Runs good. Handles OK. The trans is a bit schizo in that it isn't sure if it should shift yet when you ease off the gas. And they've done some really stupid things to the interior. For instance, the center console won't hold even one CD? WTF?
At this point I liked the Malibu better, but the good news is that the trunk holds every case that the Malibu did. The new Malibu has a 8" smaller opening which makes me think the "engineers" have never tried to load anything into it.

JTW_Jr wrote in post #12079868 (external link)
If you were actually doing that speed in an area like that , you need to have your head examined !

It's a 1.8L motor. Even my old 'Cuda with 340bhp didn't go much faster than that. So, no, the actual speed when I shot the dash was zero.

team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2011 10:04 |  #5

the group of trees is OK, its the one large one in the middle of #1 that gets me.
And what the hell were thinking making the malibu trunk opening smaller? thats just moving backwords....

My 500px (external link)

SF ­ David
285 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 24, 2011 14:14 |  #6

They're a little dark and could use some fill, but nice shots on the whole. Also, I'm not sure who you're hosting with, but the pictures look very compressed. The images are nice and sharp, but the edges look rough. Particularly noticeable in the wheels in #7 and the edge of the headlight in #4. You've also got a little bit of color banding going on in all of them.

I must admit though, with all the fuss you put up about reflections, you certainly put your money where your mouth is :). I'm really digging the clean reflections in the first two and #4.

5DIII / 5DII
70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 100-400L / 50mm 1.2L / 17-40L / 300mm F4L IS / 100mm 2.8L IS Macro

davidbushphoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2011 17:02 |  #7

I like the first couple....lighting is very good...shows off the Cruze's Opelesque lines well. I've been watching European sports sedan racing...the Cruze seems to be a formidable competitor.

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2011 17:05 |  #8

JTW_Jr wrote in post #12079868 (external link)
+ 1

If you were actually doing that speed in an area like that , you need to have your head examined ! :rolleyes:

Speedometer and tach set needles at those positions when ignition key is inserted. I once thought the same thing when I looked at a picture of a BMW motorcycle's instruments....the needles were pegging the tach and speedo, but the bike wasn't running.

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 24, 2011 21:11 |  #9

team haymaker wrote in post #12083041 (external link)
the group of trees is OK, its the one large one in the middle of #1 that gets me.

Maybe I'll blur them a little & see how that looks.

And what the hell were thinking making the malibu trunk opening smaller? thats just moving backwords....

I was told "New design". So "function follows form"!? :D

SF David wrote in post #12084523 (external link)
They're a little dark and could use some fill, but nice shots on the whole.

If it was a car meet, or a for sale shot, I would show more detail. Otherwise I tend to go more for "essence of car".

Also, I'm not sure who you're hosting with, but the pictures look very compressed. The images are nice and sharp, but the edges look rough. Particularly noticeable in the wheels in #7 and the edge of the headlight in #4. You've also got a little bit of color banding going on in all of them.

Really? My cheap monitors didn't show that. I confess that I didn't save them at very high quality. It was about 7 I think.
When I blur the trees, I'll resave one of them at a higher quality & see how that works out.

I must admit though, with all the fuss you put up about reflections, you certainly put your money where your mouth is . I'm really digging the clean reflections in the first two and #4.

Thanks. No cloning was done to those, either. ;)

Lesmore wrote in post #12085737 (external link)
I like the first couple....lighting is very good...shows off the Cruze's Opelesque lines well. I've been watching European sports sedan racing...the Cruze seems to be a formidable competitor.

I didn't know that. What's the name of the series?
One interesting thing about it is the auxilary "semi-manual" shifting. Not true manual as it won't let you over rev it.

Lesmore wrote in post #12085755 (external link)
Speedometer and tach set needles at those positions when ignition key is inserted. I once thought the same thing when I looked at a picture of a BMW motorcycle's instruments....the needles were pegging the tach and speedo, but the bike wasn't running.

I have to start mine to get that.

Thanks for the comments!

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by PhotosGuy.

Mar 26, 2011 10:15 |  #10

SF David wrote in post #12084523 (external link)
Also, I'm not sure who you're hosting with, but the pictures look very compressed. The images are nice and sharp, but the edges look rough. Particularly noticeable in the wheels in #7 and the edge of the headlight in #4. You've also got a little bit of color banding going on in all of them.

I blurred the background on this one, did a little cloning, & both were saved at a quality of 11, so those problems should be gone now. Please let me know if you're still seeing them. Or if you're not, too. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/PhotosGuy/Forum%20Junk/2011_Chevy-Cruze_Lights_HQ.jpg?t=1301152212

SF ­ David
285 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 28, 2011 12:07 |  #11

Definitely an improvement there. It's extremely subtle, but the color and fine detail is now better preserved. Check out the front turn signal area in #10, especially around the bulb, and compare it to the original shot and maybe you'll see what I mean.

5DIII / 5DII
70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 100-400L / 50mm 1.2L / 17-40L / 300mm F4L IS / 100mm 2.8L IS Macro

davidbushphoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 29, 2011 09:50 |  #12

Check out the front turn signal area in #10, especially around the bulb, and compare it to the original shot

:D I wish I could! My monitor wasn't anything special when I bought it & it's several years old now. Normally I post at an IQ of 7-8 because I can't see the difference & it makes it a little harder for the car guys to make an 8" X 10" print from them. And, yes, they do that. I ask them to tell everyone that I didn't make the print for them. ;)

Thanks for the "Heads up", David!

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,401 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2011 10:40 |  #13

Now if you want a fast Cruze try this one :D

IMAGE: http://****/c3whur/mar/IMG_5105.jpg

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

PhotosGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 29, 2011 23:32 |  #14

Holy crap! That one looks like it could get over 130!

aewon
185 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 01, 2011 02:43 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #15

disappointed you drive like that endangering people in what looks to be city streets.

i'm only 21, and i've done my share of reckless driving and learned already to just obey the limits, and take my car to barren mountain roads or the track...

otherwise, i'm always impressed how to manage to get perfect lighting.

flick (external link)r
30D
24-70mm/2.8L 50mm/1.8

sponsored links

12,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
2011 Chevy Cruze Sedan LS
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.