Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

From 40D to 7D - question about AF

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 24, 2011 10:15 |  #1

Just got my new 7D, plowed through the manual and this may be "just getting used to it," but -

On the 40D when the AF point achieved focus, it would flash red and the focus confirmation light would light steady. If I remember, this even happened when only a single AF point was selected - it would flash red + the confirmation light.

Am I correct in the 7D the AF point that achieves focus is black and you rely on the confirmation light? Specifically, if only a single point was selected - its already black in the viewfinder - so the only indication of "achieved focus" is the confirmation light?

If I'm right - this will take a little getting used to - I sort of liked that flash of the focus point - or did I miss a configuration option in the menus somewhere? (I know I can get the entire viewfinder to flash red but not the single AF point.)

And one other question - what does "AI" stand for, as in "AI Servo AF?" Been bugging me for a while now. I know what it does and when to use it, but never knew what the "AI" meant.

sponsored links
soonerce
236 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2011 10:21 |  #2

Set Custom Function III - 8 to 1 (enable). By default this is set to 0 and it only illuminates red under low light conditions. By changing this the camera will blink red regardless of the lighting.

I believe AI stands for Artificial Intelligence.

7D - Σ30 - EFS 15-85 - EF 100-400L - 430EX II

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 24, 2011 10:22 |  #3

AI stands for Artificial Intelligence: http://****/4h6qcbg (external link)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

1xSHOT
357 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2011 10:23 |  #4

Hello,

Sorry for getting to the point, but on my way out.

Default is set to 0: Auto

To change:

Press Menu,
Select Orange Camera Icon in Top Tool Bar: Second from Last to the Right,
Scroll/Select C.Fn.III: Autofocus/Drive,
Toggle to Option 8
Press Set,
1:Enable,
Press Set,

= Enjoy ! :)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 24, 2011 10:28 as a reply to  @ 1xSHOT's post |  #5

Thanks but I know I can get the entire viewfinder to flash red with the custom function enabled - I just want the AF point that achieved focus to flash - not the entire screen. Maybe the entire screen is the best the 7D can do - the 40D only flashed the single AF point.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2011 10:31 |  #6

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12083176 (external link)
Thanks but I know I can get the entire viewfinder to flash red with the custom function enabled - I just want the AF point that achieved focus to flash - not the entire screen. Maybe the entire screen is the best the 7D can do - the 40D only flashed the single AF point.

It flashes the point because only one is typically displayed dependent on focusing mode...just like the 40D but with only one point.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 24, 2011 10:39 as a reply to  @ Sdiver2489's post |  #7

I see what is happening - on my 40D I had the Ef-D focusing screen installed. So, on the 7D, I naturally turned on the VF Grid - in reality with the grid turned off, the point does flash but there appears remnants of red in the VF so it appears that the point is highlighted - with the grid turned on, you can see its the entire screen flashing.

Now I understand - the 40D only flashed the point - but the 7D with the electronic viewfinder its quite different. This viewfinder is "powered" all the time with the battery installed so I'm guessing its a projection screen.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem with the view finder since it looks like the whole screen flashes.

Thanks.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,179 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 24, 2011 11:21 as a reply to  @ Roxie2401's post |  #8

When the red flash is "fired" in the screen these things that are black will turn red.

Anders

sponsored links

1,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
From 40D to 7D - question about AF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.