Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your rigs!

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2011 04:35 |  #1

New, old, home made or pro it doesn't matter, show us your rigs!

My set-up so far:
"Gini Rig" - $425 shipped to Austria - HERE (external link) or HERE (external link)
D|Focus V3 with 1 lens ring - $150 shipped
Ebay DSLR Viewfinder - $70 shipped

Total shipped: $645!!
Now compare that to theZacuto double barrel pro set-up (external link). :)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5142/5558268608_86337c19ae_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5067/5558267744_3290dc9e17_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5557685459_740e4ea575_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5055/5557686333_c3071c40a3_b.jpg

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2011 04:54 |  #2

Holy crap, that Zacuto rig costs more than any camera + lens combination you could stuff on it!
In any case, nice rig you got there, but it does look rather front-heavy, do you plan on adding any weights to go over your shoulder?
Also is this thread only for dSLRs? If so, then I haven't got much to show off, unfortunately...

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2011 05:24 |  #3

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12088926 (external link)
Holy crap, that Zacuto rig costs more than any camera + lens combination you could stuff on it!
In any case, nice rig you got there, but it does look rather front-heavy, do you plan on adding any weights to go over your shoulder?
Also is this thread only for dSLRs? If so, then I haven't got much to show off, unfortunately...

Nice catch! Yeah it is front heavy, the guy that sells the rig sells an adapter for the back with weight. I am probably going to pick that up to offset the weight.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 25, 2011 06:29 |  #4

Go for it. The point of a shoulder-mount is to take the weight off your hands and let you use your shoulder to carry the camera and let your hands do the controlling, without that it's only slightly better than just hand-holding. You have a follow focus on there, but as soon as you lift up your left hand, thing is gonna droop to the side... oh, and you should never use the FF as the grip, supporting the camera with your left hand on the focus works in photography, but not in video.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 25, 2011 07:00 |  #5

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12089141 (external link)
Go for it. The point of a shoulder-mount is to take the weight off your hands and let you use your shoulder to carry the camera and let your hands do the controlling, without that it's only slightly better than just hand-holding. You have a follow focus on there, but as soon as you lift up your left hand, thing is gonna droop to the side... oh, and you should never use the FF as the grip, supporting the camera with your left hand on the focus works in photography, but not in video.

Thanks for the info, yeah I haven't even used this thing for any video yet, it just came in this morning.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2011 08:57 |  #6

Kento wrote in post #12088891 (external link)
New, old, home made or pro it doesn't matter, show us your rigs!

This is my personal unit with just a few accessories hung upon it. ;-)a

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And this is how we dress em for field use.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2011 09:06 |  #7

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12089141 (external link)
Go for it. The point of a shoulder-mount is to take the weight off your hands and let you use your shoulder to carry the camera and let your hands do the controlling, without that it's only slightly better than just hand-holding.

Exactly and that is why most professional shoulder mounted camcorders have a shoulder pad that is adjustable fore and aft allowing the operator to achieve a perfect balance regardless of the weight of power (rear) or a lens.

If setup properly one could literally hold an 18 pound balanced camcorder on their shoulder with their fingertips.

In the real world the method is to hold the camera by it’s grip with the right hand which also controls the zoom leaving the left hand to control the iris and focus.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2011 09:19 |  #8

Channel One wrote in post #12101734 (external link)
Wayne

Nice rig dude, yeah I am in the process of setting up my rig different so I can add a counter weight to the back and even things out. Luckily the rig is completely customizable as all pieces are removable and the 15mm tubes can screw into each other. I will post up-to-date pics as soon as I find something to counter-weight the back.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2011 10:25 |  #9

Kento wrote in post #12101797 (external link)
Nice rig dude, yeah I am in the process of setting up my rig different so I can add a counter weight to the back and even things out. Luckily the rig is completely customizable as all pieces are removable and the 15mm tubes can screw into each other. I will post up-to-date pics as soon as I find something to counter-weight the back.

You might consider (as the budget allows) hanging an Anton-Bauer QR-DSLR off the back of that rig, it would serve nicely as a counterweight and with the proper battery provide you with enough power to shoot all day and still have enough left over to a monitor and an mixer.

http://www.antonbauer.​com/Products/QR-DSLR (external link)

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 27, 2011 10:32 |  #10

Wayne, what's he recording spec with that external recording devce?

10 Most overpaid job (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2011 10:46 |  #11

Man, beefy AB you got on the back there, I really need to get something bigger than my D90, but a mixer comes first.

Anyways, here's my 370 without the Zylight, or much of anything at the moment. I keep the tandem on for better balance in the back, and I usually end up plugging in on location anyway, so...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …63/ThisIsHey/_M​G_0996.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …pp263/ThisIsHey​/24M_3.jpg (external link)

Mic is an NTG-1 on the light arm for better positioning (unscrewed the stock mic holder), I don't often use the Zylight on-camera, so I once I get a second battery, the D90 gets lighting duty.
Once I get over to B&H, I'll be getting a Sound Devices 302, a hyper, and boompole with the usual suspects. Sound city here I come. :lol:

You might consider (as the budget allows) hanging an Anton-Bauer QR-DSLR off the back of that rig, it would serve nicely as a counterweight and with the proper battery provide you with enough power to shoot all day and still have enough left over to a monitor and an mixer.

I wanted to mention this earlier but hanging a pro battery off the back would probably come to use once the OP decides to expand with a monitor or mixer, whenever that is, so it depends on how much kitchen sinks one intends to bolt on there.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 27, 2011 11:23 |  #12

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12102213 (external link)
Once I get over to B&H, I'll be getting a Sound Devices 302, a hyper, and boompole with the usual suspects. Sound city here I come. :lol:

You're hiring an operator for that, too, right? Cuz good luck booming while filming while mixing.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2011 12:04 |  #13

Trey T wrote in post #12102135 (external link)
Wayne, what's he recording spec with that external recording devce?

This is the cut sheet for the unit, the one on my JVC is a 100 gig.

http://www.channel1ima​ges.com/Assets/drhd100​.pdf (external link)

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 27, 2011 12:28 |  #14

Chippy569 wrote in post #12102411 (external link)
You're hiring an operator for that, too, right? Cuz good luck booming while filming while mixing.

Of course! I already have someone in mind, and I'll see if I could fit a recorder into my budget as well, so that we could record audio seperately, if needed. If I go solo, the mic and mixer will help out a ton indoors as I only have a bare shotgun right now.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 27, 2011 12:33 |  #15

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #12102213 (external link)
Man, beefy AB you got on the back there, I really need to get something bigger than my D90, but a mixer comes first.

Those are AB 140 watthour Hytron's and yea they're about 6 pounds each but they do provide a lot of run time.

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links

175,321 views & 9 likes for this thread
Show us your rigs!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.